The Student Room Group

Is it worth resitting any chem units for an A, AQA?

I'm on 237 UMS and need 240 UMS for an A.
CHEM1 mark: 85/100 = A
CHEM2 mark: 107/140 = B (think it was 112 or something for an A)
EMPA: 42/60 = B, (worth 20%)

CHEM1 seems to be the easiest to retake but I haven't looked at that stuff since ages and I'm worried they'll make it REALLY hard like they tend to do usually. Not sure what went wrong with CHEM2, found it easy, found module content fine, but I obviously did screw up somewhere to get a B rather than the A I was predicted. Should I just focus on CHEM4/CHEM5 or should I retake one of these units? I'll have 6 exams in June (not including these possible chemistry resits),
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Original post by Magenta96
I'm on 237 UMS and need 240 UMS for an A.
CHEM1 mark: 85/100 = A
CHEM2 mark: 107/140 = B (think it was 112 or something for an A)
EMPA: 42/60 = B, (worth 20%)

CHEM1 seems to be the easiest to retake but I haven't looked at that stuff since ages and I'm worried they'll make it REALLY hard like they tend to do usually. Not sure what went wrong with CHEM2, found it easy, found module content fine, but I obviously did screw up somewhere to get a B rather than the A I was predicted. Should I just focus on CHEM4/CHEM5 or should I retake one of these units? I'll have 6 exams in June (not including these possible chemistry resits),

If I were in your position, I would think about re-taking CHEM2 - you have the potential to gain up to 33 UMS, which would be a big boost to your overall score for the A level. Also, CHEM2 does contain some similar content with CHEM4, in terms of curly-arrow mechanisms, and bits of physical chemistry, so going over CHEM2 may help you get a better grasp of the content of CHEM4, and vice versa.

However, I think you should speak to your teachers and/or head of department before making any such decisions, in order to get their input on re-taking too.
Reply 3
Original post by thegodofgod
If I were in your position, I would think about re-taking CHEM2 - you have the potential to gain up to 33 UMS, which would be a big boost to your overall score for the A level. Also, CHEM2 does contain some similar content with CHEM4, in terms of curly-arrow mechanisms, and bits of physical chemistry, so going over CHEM2 may help you get a better grasp of the content of CHEM4, and vice versa.

However, I think you should speak to your teachers and/or head of department before making any such decisions, in order to get their input on re-taking too.

yeah I think you're right, I will resit CHEM2 and hopefully revision shouldn't be difficult this time round. Is it worth revising lightly at the moment like one past paper a week? I know I have around 9 months left but those mechanisms were a NIGHTMARE to learn before, and I really can't afford to forget them! Thanks :smile:
Original post by Magenta96
yeah I think you're right, I will resit CHEM2 and hopefully revision shouldn't be difficult this time round. Is it worth revising lightly at the moment like one past paper a week? I know I have around 9 months left but those mechanisms were a NIGHTMARE to learn before, and I really can't afford to forget them! Thanks :smile:

You definitely won't forget the two mechanisms you learnt in CHEM2, as you'll cover those and a lot more in CHEM4, when it comes to topics like organic synthesis. Also, the two mechanisms in CHEM2 - nucleophilic substitution, and elimination - are the simplest of all mechanisms that you learn in A level Chemistry.

Quick Reply

Latest