The Student Room Group

"6 hour minimum" work at H Samuel!?

So I applied for a job at H Samuel and have an interview on Saturday, but I have to get a train there, and for a return ticket this would be 7.50. Does 6 hours a week mean that all the hours would be on one day or scattered across the week?

If it is scattered, I would probably be paying more money to get to work than I'd be earning, so...? Help please. :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You can ask that question at your interview. Also, a weekly train pass or a rail card might be something to look into.
Reply 2
I would be surprised if it was in two shifts, so it's very likely that it's 1 x 6 hr shift
I'm almost one hundred percent certain that you will have one shift per week, consisting of 6 hours.
Reply 4
Thank you everyone for your replies. :smile: Currently waiting on a response from boots. H Samuel asked me to call them with a reference but I don't want to until I find out if I got the job at boots, I want that one more.
Reply 5
How'd you get in?

I tried those competency questions and everytime I just lose out.
Reply 6
Original post by harry_007
How'd you get in?

I tried those competency questions and everytime I just lose out.

I can't remember how exactly the process went. I think it was an online assessment and then attach a CV. I have a CV with a big profile on it, my grades, my communication skills and my hobbies on it. I just answered the scenario questions on the assessment the way that I would imagine they would want. :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by miauu
I can't remember how exactly the process went. I think it was an online assessment and then attach a CV. I have a CV with a big profile on it, my grades, my communication skills and my hobbies on it. I just answered the scenario questions on the assessment the way that I would imagine they would want. :smile:

Hmmm I actually asked them and they said with the questions, try and imagine you are there and what would you do.

I keep getting them wrong.

Probably fate or something.
Reply 8
Hmmm I actually asked them and they said with the questions, try and imagine you are there and what would you do.

I keep getting them wrong.

Probably fate or something.

Those online test things are so oddly specific, ugh. >.> I'm surprised I passed it. As I said though, I haven't even got back to them about my references after my interview. I really want the job in boots that I also interviewed for this week.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=44602293&highlight=

^
Still call them with a reference just in case you don't get the boots one; you don't want to leave them hanging on too long.
Reply 10
Original post by miauu
Those online test things are so oddly specific, ugh. >.> I'm surprised I passed it. As I said though, I haven't even got back to them about my references after my interview. I really want the job in boots that I also interviewed for this week.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=44602293&highlight=

^

:smile: Congrats on getting those interviews.

I'm going to keep trying though. I'm going to to try for other jobs instead of retail as I don't have much experience dealing with customers. :\
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by LovePeaceAwesome
Still call them with a reference just in case you don't get the boots one; you don't want to leave them hanging on too long.

That is what I am worried about too, but I'm scared that I'll call them with references and they offer me a job on the spot. Unlikely obviously but I would still rather hang on til around Friday before I give my reference. I interviewed with boots today and H.Samuel on Saturday. The manager at H.Samuel asked me to get back to them in about a week.
Reply 12
:smile: Congrats on getting those interviews.

I'm going to keep trying though. I'm going to to try for other jobs instead of retail as I don't have much experience dealing with customers. :\

Maybe try volunteering whilst you're job hunting? That way, you can leave if you get a job and it looks good on your CV. Also gives you experience dealing with customers. :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by miauu
Maybe try volunteering whilst you're job hunting? That way, you can leave if you get a job and it looks good on your CV. Also gives you experience dealing with customers. :smile:

Oh I do volunteer but just with members of the public.

But I am unable to answer those questions because I am not in a place, where for example, you are busy with a customer and another customer walks in, what do you do?

I responded by saying I would welcome the other customer and told him he would be dealt with as soon as possible whilst I am dealing with another customer.

I have to guess all the answers.

I'm not too keen on retail, more admin work.
Reply 14
Oh I do volunteer but just with members of the public.

But I am unable to answer those questions because I am not in a place, where for example, you are busy with a customer and another customer walks in, what do you do?

I responded by saying I would welcome the other customer and told him he would be dealt with as soon as possible whilst I am dealing with another customer.

I have to guess all the answers.

I'm not too keen on retail, more admin work.

Yeah, maybe try applying a load for that kind of thing. I find indeed.com is the best site for job hunting. Check every day too, if you really want a job. Some places only advertise for about a day.
Reply 15
Original post by miauu
Yeah, maybe try applying a load for that kind of thing. I find indeed.com is the best site for job hunting. Check every day too, if you really want a job. Some places only advertise for about a day.

Thankyou. I've just had a look at the website, it was useful. You're helpful :smile:
Reply 16
Thankyou. I've just had a look at the website, it was useful. You're helpful :smile:

Thanks and no problem, I hope you get an interview soon. :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by miauu
Thanks and no problem, I hope you get an interview soon. :smile:

Thanks. :smile:
Reply 18
So I got the job at H Samuel and have training for 9 hours on Saturday. Has anyone been to H Samuel training? What should I expect?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Hi, I have an interview for H Samuel tomorrow and was just wondering if you could tell me what the interview is like and what sort of questions they ask you? Thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending