The Student Room Group

Do you need maths to get into medicine?

Do you need maths to get into medicine?
Reply 1
Its not a requirement
Reply 2
No. My friend is hoping to do medicine with A levels in Physics, Chemistry and Biology, with an AS in German :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
No, only if you're looking at certain colleges at Cambridge. (I can't remember which one though.)
No.

It helps but it's not a requirement. If you have Chem and Biology A levels, that will be all that's required for the vast majority of unis. For a couple, having Physics or Maths (to AS) will be of benefit. But I know several people who have gone to great med schools with Biology, Chemistry and Psychology at A2.
The only college in Cambridge that requires it (to my knowledge) is Magdalene College.

Everywhere else it is not a requirement, however Cambridge colleges generally prefer (and in some cases require) three science/maths subjects. However this can mean Bio/Chem/Physics.

To apply for any med school in general (bar Cambs) you only need Chemistry and another science/maths subject. Some unis require Chemistry and Biology.
Reply 6
No. However, if you are naturally good at Maths, it is an easy A. Conversely, if you cannot get an A, then do not do it, because for Medicine you will need AAA.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Im taking, Biology Chemistry Maths and Psychology now.
I LOVE Biology, I enjoy Chemistry most of the time. Psychology really interests me but I dont LOVE it. But Maths. I dread the lessons. Im struggling with the first chapter of C1.
My school and parents are saying I need maths and I can't drop it.
Hypothetically I get AAA for Bio,Chem and Psychology and U for maths at AS What can I do then?
Reply 8
P.s Please quote me when you reply. I can never find the thread I make without searching nonstop for it.
Reply 9
Original post by Syedishtyaq
P.s Please quote me when you reply. I can never find the thread I make without searching nonstop for it.

Print this out:
http://www.furthermaths.org.uk/files/medical_schools_entry_requirement_june_2011_1.1.pdf

and highlight the medical schools which require Mathematics for entry (none). Then show it to your school / parents and pick up another subject. (I'm assuming you got at least a B in GCSE Maths.) ALternatively, slog it out and try to get at least a B at AS.

You can also check the medical forum on TSR and count how many of the pupils who got offers last year did or did not do A-Level Maths.
Reply 10
I got an A for Maths. But I found it HARD To get that A. Thanks for quoting lol!.

If I drop it, What would you recommend I pick up? (Does Maths Boost your application)

Edit: That link says June 2011? Is it still valid?
(edited 10 years ago)
Nope
Reply 12
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Nope

Does it help with your application?
I got an A for Maths. But I found it HARD To get that A. Thanks for quoting lol!.

If I drop it, What would you recommend I pick up? (Does Maths Boost your application)

It's of no benefit to your application unless you want to apply to Cambridge, especially if you don't think you'll get an A in it. Don't forget, all the extra work you'll have to put into maths will take time away from your other subjects. You should pick up any subject you enjoy and are good at, preferably one that's seen as 'respected' by most med schools like English Lit, economics, history, geography, a language or possibly psychology
Does it help with your application?

I dont think so.
Reply 15

As far as Maths A-Level is concerned, yes, it is still valid.

You could also email admissions tutors from some med schools with concerns over subject combinations and entry requirements. They will probably just tell you what they write on their website, but you could ask how many successful applicants had A-Level Maths, for example. I don't know if they will give you that information, but it could be interesting. Bear in mind however that many (not all but enough) people who like science (Bio, Chem) also like Maths and find it easy to get an A in, and so do it for that reason, not because it is a requirement.

It doesn't matter THAT much what you do as a fourth subject. It should be something not too untraditional and something you can get at least a B in. MrSupernova had good suggestions, but an easier subject with some relevance, like Sociology, could also work, if you drop it after AS. Again, you could ask admissions tutors to make sure.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
I don't think I can get a B in maths though,
I found it easy to get my As in the other subject.
I am already taking psychology. What should I change maths into if I do change it at AS?
Reply 17
I don't think I can get a B in maths though,
I found it easy to get my As in the other subject.
I am already taking psychology. What should I change maths into if I do change it at AS?

Something with good respectability that you will like / find straight forward.

You see a lot of med applicants do this and take subjects alongside their AS/Bio+Chem A2 like History, English, Economics, Philosophy, Computing etc.

Quick Reply

Latest