The Student Room Group

UCL law applicant 2014

Planning on applying to UCL for Law however I feel my application may not be up to UCL's standards!
10 A's and 1 B at GCSE
3 A's 1 B and 1 D at AS-level
A*AA/A*A*A A2 predictions
Very little work experience, but did spend 2 days shadowing a Barrister!
Lots of extra curricular activities and did a Raleigh International expedition this summer ect so I'm okay on the extra curricular front but I feel they're not too fussy about that!
Doing my LNAT beginning of November so I've got lots of time to prepare myself!
With a strong LNAT (aiming 25+, would this be strong enough?) what are peoples opinions on the strength of my application?
Anyone else as stressed as me about UCAS? :eek::eek:
Thanks for any advice anyone can give me!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No I go to a good ish independent school so that probably goes against me a bit! Oh no that's depressing!
Yeah my D was in Chemistry. I got A's in History, RE and Biology then a B in General studies haha
Ahh okay, it rests on my LNAT then if I have any chance at all! Do you know wether my chances at KCL will be any higher? I'm planning on applying there too.. Think I'm punching above my weight here?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I've also been thinking of Bristol and Newcastle/Manchester

Yeah this has helped, thanks a lot for the advice! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Find it quite depressing that they are considered sub par gcse results.
Not that I disagree.

I got 1 A* 7 A 2 B and 1 D and I'm thinking of UCL Law too. Never really bothered at the time. I knew I was capable and I slacked around, getting relatively good grades.

I did go to a poor state school but still.

And I wouldn't discourage you from applying by any means.
Reply 4
Yeah me too at the time I foolishly thought they didn't matter!
Yeah I'm still going to apply :smile: it's so amazing so might as well just go for it, worth the risk!
Good luck with your application btw :smile: Have you looked into the LNAT practice stuff? I'm thinking about getting this mark shepherd book that everyone seems to be recommending on here

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Shona1
Yeah me too at the time I foolishly thought they didn't matter!
Yeah I'm still going to apply :smile: it's so amazing so might as well just go for it, worth the risk!
Good luck with your application btw :smile: Have you looked into the LNAT practice stuff? I'm thinking about getting this mark shepherd book that everyone seems to be recommending on here

Posted from TSR Mobile

I notice you are a newbie. Next time, try and quote people. That way the person will be alerted you have replied !

And i have purchased the book. It just arrived in the post yesterday ! There is not much in it, but the practise tests are great prep. The main advice shepherd gives is just to read the question and answer choices very clearly. Read the extract before you look at the questions.

I'm not sure how accurate the tests are though. I completed the test in 73 minutes (you are allowed 95) and scored 30/42 on my first attempt. I would be ecstatic with that, but I hope shepherd hasn't made it too easy.
Reply 6
Original post by goonermk
I notice you are a newbie. Next time, try and quote people. That way the person will be alerted you have replied !

And i have purchased the book. It just arrived in the post yesterday ! There is not much in it, but the practise tests are great prep. The main advice shepherd gives is just to read the question and answer choices very clearly. Read the extract before you look at the questions.

I'm not sure how accurate the tests are though. I completed the test in 73 minutes (you are allowed 95) and scored 30/42 on my first attempt. I would be ecstatic with that, but I hope shepherd hasn't made it too easy.

Ahh okay thank you for the tip! Wow yeah that's very impressive well done, lets hope not! When have you booked your LNAT for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi all

Im applying for law (3 years) at:

Cambridge, Durham, Birmingham, Warwick, and Exeter

Got my LNAT first thing on Monday morning. Really not looking forward to it.

Hopefully my strong AS results will make up if I do bad.

Good luck to everyone else
Reply 8
Original post by Shona1
Ahh okay thank you for the tip! Wow yeah that's very impressive well done, lets hope not! When have you booked your LNAT for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem. Forget to say in the other post, good luck to you as well !

And I haven't booked the LNAT just yet, I have signed up and found my local test centre and seen the dates though.

I will probably be doing it in mid-october. I want to do it relatively late, leave it for last after my p.statement etc. as I have just got back to college after a very long summer, and my essay writing is a little rough. A few practise essays at college, in my A2 subjects and i'll be fine. Yourself ?
Reply 9
Original post by goonermk
No problem. Forget to say in the other post, good luck to you as well !

And I haven't booked the LNAT just yet, I have signed up and found my local test centre and seen the dates though.

I will probably be doing it in mid-october. I want to do it relatively late, leave it for last after my p.statement etc. as I have just got back to college after a very long summer, and my essay writing is a little rough. A few practise essays at college, in my A2 subjects and i'll be fine. Yourself ?

Yeah I have been thinking the same! Had my first essay homework this week and I felt extremely rusty after 2 months off! Want to get my personal statement out of the way then I can concentrate on the LNAT after that. Booked for 9th November so plenty of time to stress after my application has been sent off!
Reply 10
Original post by silkysmoothpro
Hi all

Hi!

Good luck for tomorrow, let us know how you feel it went!
Original post by Shona1
Hi!

Good luck for tomorrow, let us know how you feel it went!

Hi the LNAT seemed fine. Finished well within the time limit and the essay section was easy.
Reply 12
Hi the LNAT seemed fine. Finished well within the time limit and the essay section was easy.

Oh good, hope you got whatever you need to impress the admissions tutors! :smile: where are you applying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Hi all

I'm also applying for law at Durham, Warwick and Exeter - how was your LNAT?

Original post by rebecca095
I'm also applying for law at Durham, Warwick and Exeter - how was your LNAT?

I honestly don't know how well I might have done in the LNAT, but I was able to answer most questions confidently and I thought that the essay question was quite easy (about a duty to obey the law), having studied AS politics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
I honestly don't know how well I might have done in the LNAT, but I was able to answer most questions confidently and I thought that the essay question was quite easy (about a duty to obey the law), having studied AS politics.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought the multiple choice was ok, bit like general studies, but the essay wasn't great - hoping my grades make up for it... (fingers crossed)
Reply 16
Reply 17
I'm applying to UCL Law!
I got AAAAB at Higher, kind of worried about that B!
I saw in the prospectus that law at UCL has 16 applicants per place!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by Ambry
I'm applying to UCL Law!
I got AAAAB at Higher, kind of worried about that B!
I saw in the prospectus that law at UCL has 16 applicants per place!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah it's even more competitive than medicine which is 7 applicants per place usually 😭 scaaaary!
I'm sure the B is okay as long as PS and LNAT are strong :smile: Where else are you applying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by Shona1
Yeah it's even more competitive than medicine which is 7 applicants per place usually 😭 scaaaary!
I'm sure the B is okay as long as PS and LNAT are strong :smile: Where else are you applying?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Crazy!
I'm applying to Glasgow, Aberdeen, Edinburgh, UCL and Oxford :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending