The Student Room Group

Any tips on getting full marks on History A Level?

I am currently doing A2 History with AQA, my units are International Relations 1945-2004 and a historical enquiry coursework piece (Weighted at 60%-40% respectively)

I got a low B for history at AS, but I really need an A for the end of this year. I have worked out in terms of UMS, that I need 180 out of 200 UMS marks to get an A overall this year.

I know it sounds impossible, but I think anything is possible once you put your mind to it. But I want to know, what can I do in order to get this high grade? I want to aim for full marks in my history exam so I can snag the A.

What should I be doing in preparation and in the exam and coursework? Please list as many helpful tips as possible related to history. Futhermore, anyone else who got close to full marks can you please post and share your experience? It really would help my moral.

Thank you Student Room, this forum is by far the best resource for getting help in your education in general.

Scroll to see replies

Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Reply 2
Resit the B?
Reply 3
Original post by TheBigJosh
Resit the B?

I really do not want to resit anything, unless it is impossible to get 180/200 UMS in history.

Doesn't anyone have any tips? I'm a bit worried :/
Reply 4
I managed to get 100ums in one of the AS units, and was aiming for the A* at A2, but then only managed to scrape a low A. Several of my classmates also got lower ums back than they expected (this is on OCR). I would recommend resit, as from my experience with the marks they award at A2 it could be very difficult to get anywhere near 100.
Reply 5
Original post by emma2013
I managed to get 100ums in one of the AS units, and was aiming for the A* at A2, but then only managed to scrape a low A. Several of my classmates also got lower ums back than they expected (this is on OCR). I would recommend resit, as from my experience with the marks they award at A2 it could be very difficult to get anywhere near 100.

This is starting to worry me, I really don't want to resit anything as it will be very hard and long. But then again I really need the A in history...
Reply 6
Original post by Xroz
This is starting to worry me, I really don't want to resit anything as it will be very hard and long. But then again I really need the A in history...

From experience, it's better to have the option to get more marks in the bank from AS papers than having to rely on excelling in the A2. It's better to have something to fall back on, especially as getting 180ums+ for A2 can be quite difficult.
If you have coursework for A2 you might be able to get away with not resitting, but if you imagine on results day if you just missed the grade, you might regret not resitting and it's better to be safe than sorry :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by emma2013
From experience, it's better to have the option to get more marks in the bank from AS papers than having to rely on excelling in the A2. It's better to have something to fall back on, especially as getting 180ums+ for A2 can be quite difficult.
If you have coursework for A2 you might be able to get away with not resitting, but if you imagine on results day if you just missed the grade, you might regret not resitting and it's better to be safe than sorry :smile:

You're so right. Thanks for being so helpful!
Reply 8
Resit. I went from a B to 97% in one of my AS History modules.
Reply 9
Original post by Tabzqt
Resit. I went from a B to 97% in one of my AS History modules.

97%? Damn that's high, that gives me inspiration thank you
I'm doing the same course. Try and get a really high mark in the controlled assessment.
Reply 11
Original post by chelseafan
I'm doing the same course. Try and get a really high mark in the controlled assessment.

Isn't that a risk though?
Reply 12
Original post by Xroz
Isn't that a risk though?

Seeing as you don't actually get the official marks for any coursework until results day, relying on it to secure a grade is probably a bit risky, as you can't go into the exam thinking you've already secured a certain mark. Grade boundaries for the coursework are also notoriously dodgy- I was expecting a really high raw score on my CW and then I ended up with a far lower ums than I expected and I don't really know what happened to it. Losing just a few raw marks in moderation can lose you a grade as in many schools teachers have far more of an impact on coursework than they should have; it's annoying, but it's the way it is. I stand by my original advice, which is if in doubt, resit. You can always keep the higher mark so even if you do worse you have nothing to lose. Even though I had a very secure A in my AS my teacher advised me to resit the module I hadn't done as well in, as the more marks in the bank the better if you really need to secure a certain grade.
I actually got full UMS on that huge end-of-year paper years ago (different subject matter to you but similar structure) and I'm not really sure how (I thought I was going to get a B in A-level history but ended up, by what I can only attribute to the infinite power of Christ, getting an A*), but I can share my experience.

I'd recommend resitting your AS modules. I know it's hard work but they are worth another pop if there's just the slightest chance you can get your marks up. Even two high Bs would be great and set you in good stead for bumping your mark up to an A. Next, roll out the big guns for the coursework. Put as much effort in as possible, keep your sources mixed and your debate/analysis thoughtful (easier said than done I know but your teacher should have some ideas/hints) and make sure you ask for help when in doubt.

The final exam paper, provided I am thinking clearly, is 50% source question. The source analysis is essential and this is where actually being clever comes in (at last) to the A-level rather than just reworking arguments you've practiced over and over again in your revision period to fit the question. I remember the college giving us a set method for analysing the sources, but I panicked in the exam and used my gut to analyse them rather than focusing on the rigid structure we were given. We were doing a Cold War paper and we were taught about Orthodox, Revisionist, and Postrevisionist schools of thought for the Cold War debate, and to always say whether one of the sources was that. I remember not really going into that stuff but nonetheless looking at the merits of the source and what weight it gives to the debate the exam was asking depending on the credibility and strength of the author and their argument based on my own knowledge, which I'm guessing made the paper more original. I'm not saying you should throw away everything you're taught like, just try and, uh I hate this phrase, 'think outside the box' a bit more rather than just regurgitating what you've been taught. I knew many people who did well at A-level but not as well as they could've done if they'd engaged their critical faculties rather than sticking religiously to the exam farming method we were taught in class.

The second question of that paper for me was just another 'rework the pre-prepared answers you have from doing hours and hours of past paper questions'. A-levels might have changed a bit since then but I'm guessing not, because virtually every exam system no matter how good turns into learning how to pass the exam and nothing else. The question was about the nuclear arms race and it was a slight tweak on a question I'd studied religiously in the exam prep which was 'Did the arms race make the world a more safer or more dangerous place?'. As cynical as it sounds, the battle is fought in the revision period and the more 'rules of the game' and set answers you can learn for the exams, whilst also having the flexibility of mind to be able to re-use the evidence provided the questions are different from what you were expecting, the better you'll do (although in my experience, there aren't too many surprises in A-level humanities exams if you are familiar with the rules of the game).

I hope this helps, at least a bit.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Moosferatu
I actually got full UMS on that huge end-of-year paper years ago (different subject matter to you but similar structure) and I'm not really sure how (I thought I was going to get a B in A-level history but ended up, by what I can only attribute to the infinite power of Christ, getting an A*), but I can share my experience.

I'd recommend resitting your AS modules. I know it's hard work but they are worth another pop if there's just the slightest chance you can get your marks up. Even two high Bs would be great and set you in good stead for bumping your mark up to an A. Next, roll out the big guns for the coursework. Put as much effort in as possible, keep your sources mixed and your debate/analysis thoughtful (easier said than done I know but your teacher should have some ideas/hints) and make sure you ask for help when in doubt.

The final exam paper, provided I am thinking clearly, is 50% source question. The source analysis is essential and this is where actually being clever comes in (at last) to the A-level rather than just reworking arguments you've practiced over and over again in your revision period to fit the question. I remember the college giving us a set method for analysing the sources, but I panicked in the exam and used my gut to analyse them rather than focusing on the rigid structure we were given. We were doing a Cold War paper and we were taught about Orthodox, Revisionist, and Postrevisionist schools of thought for the Cold War debate, and to always say whether one of the sources was that. I remember not really going into that stuff but nonetheless looking at the merits of the source and what weight it gives to the debate the exam was asking depending on the credibility and strength of the author and their argument based on my own knowledge, which I'm guessing made the paper more original. I'm not saying you should throw away everything you're taught like, just try and, uh I hate this phrase, 'think outside the box' a bit more rather than just regurgitating what you've been taught. I knew many people who did well at A-level but not as well as they could've done if they'd engaged their critical faculties rather than sticking religiously to the exam farming method we were taught in class.

The second question of that paper for me was just another 'rework the pre-prepared answers you have from doing hours and hours of past paper questions'. A-levels might have changed a bit since then but I'm guessing not, because virtually every exam system no matter how good turns into learning how to pass the exam and nothing else. The question was about the nuclear arms race and it was a slight tweak on a question I'd studied religiously in the exam prep which was 'Did the arms race make the world a more safer or more dangerous place?'. As cynical as it sounds, the battle is fought in the revision period and the more 'rules of the game' and set answers you can learn for the exams, whilst also having the flexibility of mind to be able to re-use the evidence provided the questions are different from what you were expecting, the better you'll do (although in my experience, there aren't too many surprises in A-level humanities exams if you are familiar with the rules of the game).

I hope this helps, at least a bit.

Some really good advice here.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Xroz
I am currently doing A2 History with AQA, my units are International Relations 1945-2004 and a historical enquiry coursework piece (Weighted at 60%-40% respectively)

I got a low B for history at AS, but I really need an A for the end of this year. I have worked out in terms of UMS, that I need 180 out of 200 UMS marks to get an A overall this year.

I know it sounds impossible, but I think anything is possible once you put your mind to it. But I want to know, what can I do in order to get this high grade? I want to aim for full marks in my history exam so I can snag the A.

What should I be doing in preparation and in the exam and coursework? Please list as many helpful tips as possible related to history. Futhermore, anyone else who got close to full marks can you please post and share your experience? It really would help my moral.

Thank you Student Room, this forum is by far the best resource for getting help in your education in general.

I've just finished a2 history with an A overall. I got a B at AS and thought I could just boost my A2 like you but second year coursework is really hard. By resitting, I got my ums up from 149 to 184 which really helped as I got a B in A2 year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Hey guys,

I got a B in OCR History overall, but really need an A.

I can't retake my AS modules in which I got a B in, because I did it too long ago.
With the A2 modulars I got a high B (92UMS) for the end of year exams and sadly a D for the coursework.
But this was only because we all go deducted 12 marks because the other class was caught cheating, it actually turned out that I got 57 UMS for the CW (what grade is that by the way?) and I am now forced to retake the CW hoping to get a strong A or 100% to not have to retake the exam again.

Any help please!

It would be greatly appreciated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Are you aiming to get an A overall?
Reply 18
Reply 19
Original post by Mr King21
Hey guys,

I got a B in OCR History overall, but really need an A.

I can't retake my AS modules in which I got a B in, because I did it too long ago.
With the A2 modulars I got a high B (92UMS) for the end of year exams and sadly a D for the coursework.
But this was only because we all go deducted 12 marks because the other class was caught cheating, it actually turned out that I got 57 UMS for the CW (what grade is that by the way?) and I am now forced to retake the CW hoping to get a strong A or 100% to not have to retake the exam again.

Any help please!

It would be greatly appreciated.

Posted from TSR Mobile

57 ums is a b, if you can improve your style enough you can get an a which is around 64/65 ums but it will be hard and be prepared for a lot of reading

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending