The Student Room Group

Financial support for UK student wanting to study in the USA

Hey guys,

Basically I have come to the decision to study abroad in the USA,

I was wondering, since our government in the UK doesn't fund us to study abroad, i was wondering

Is there any other financial support other than scholarships? Our household receive benefits from the government due to a parent's disability, so our income is not that great.

I'm pretty lost on the finance side of things to get myself started, so if anyone can help I would really appreciate it!

Thanks
Reply 1
A lot of other students have been asking the same question. You may want to read the other threads for more info. Otherwise, try coming on a study exchange program with a UK university. I don't know if there's funding for that (I'm American) but at least you can do one year abroad, if there is.
Reply 2
Minimal funding. Try looking at smaller places (especially faith-based ones) which might offer more scholarships to international students - the bigger and more famous places will almost certainly have insane levels of competition. Unfortunately, the same issues you would face in the US are the same they would face here: not much money for people who travel abroad to study, there's the expectation that they're pretty rich.

If you really want to study abroad, the easiest way of doing it would be to try and spend a term/year in America (normally in your 2nd year); you often don't pay international fees (you pay fees to your main uni, which in turn pays the US one) and you might get to keep your student finance going as well. Obviously you'll have to factor visas, flights, insurance, living costs and accommodation (it'll be an expensive year) but it'll be a lot cheaper than going as an international.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Strangey
Minimal funding. Try looking at smaller places (especially faith-based ones) which might offer more scholarships to international students - the bigger and more famous places will almost certainly have insane levels of competition. Unfortunately, the same issues you would face in the US are the same they would face here: not much money for people who travel abroad to study, there's the expectation that they're pretty rich.

If you really want to study abroad, the easiest way of doing it would be to try and spend a term/year in America (normally in your 2nd year); you often don't pay international fees (you pay fees to your main uni, which in turn pays the US one) and you might get to keep your student finance going as well. Obviously you'll have to factor visas, flights, insurance, living costs and accommodation (it'll be an expensive year) but it'll be a lot cheaper than going as an international.

Thanks for your reply

I was wondering, are there any loan options available? in the UK, most students who attend uni do not pay upfront, more so take a loan and payback after the course is finished. Is there an option like this available for international students (UK) to study in USA?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending