sophie_bird
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi, i've just started International Fashion Branding at Glasgow Cali. I don't live in Glasgow at the moment but still want to meet loads of new people! Anyone on the same boat? xo
Alisha_Ella
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by sophie_bird)
Hi, i've just started International Fashion Branding at Glasgow Cali. I don't live in Glasgow at the moment but still want to meet loads of new people! Anyone on the same boat? xo
Hi, I was researching Glasgow Caledonian uni for International Fashion Branding and fashion business for courses in 2014. Have you started the course yet? I'm curious to hear from students about the lecturers and the course etc, if you could give me any feedback at all, that would be great! -Sorry this isn't really much to do with your post D:
jacopograzzi
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Alisha_Ella)
Hi, I was researching Glasgow Caledonian uni for International Fashion Branding and fashion business for courses in 2014. Have you started the course yet? I'm curious to hear from students about the lecturers and the course etc, if you could give me any feedback at all, that would be great! -Sorry this isn't really much to do with your post D:
Hi there!

I'm a 2nd year student of International Fashion Branding at GCU. I'd choose my course as it is the only one in the UK and it doesn't really bound you to work in a shop after your degree Image It is also really flexible and it boosts your employability as if you can't find a job in fashion you can always work in marketing or finance! The fashion modules are really cool too as you get to create your own collection for an assessment in second year and you get to go to fashion weeks in 2nd, 3rd and 4th year with the university! Plus fashion-focused summer courses in Paris and Madrid during the summer (I went to Madrid last year and it was just fab). Some people who graduated from this course are now working for Hermes, Burberry or Costume National atm as designers or buyers so it would be pretty buzzing Image

You can come to our open days anyway and I'd be more than happy to tell you more about this course! You can also book an individual visit and ask for myself too Image

Hope I was helpful Image

Jacopo
Katharina91
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi Jacopo!

That sounds quite interesting. I applied for Fashion Business at GCU and Fashion Technology at Heriot-Watt. I'm not sure whats better for me. I'm currently studying in Germany (clothing technology). Do you know something about Fashion Business? I'm afraid that it would be to much business and marketing for me. Are there many fashion courses (sewing, pattern construction, etc)?

Thanks
Katharina
jacopograzzi
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Katharina91)
Hi Jacopo!

That sounds quite interesting. I applied for Fashion Business at GCU and Fashion Technology at Heriot-Watt. I'm not sure whats better for me. I'm currently studying in Germany (clothing technology). Do you know something about Fashion Business? I'm afraid that it would be to much business and marketing for me. Are there many fashion courses (sewing, pattern construction, etc)?

Thanks
Katharina
Hi there,

Fashion Business is more focused on sewing and creating garments. Alongside this you will have subjects like marketing and economics and management. Nothing to worry about tho!
Katharina91
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Sounds very good. Thanks
Alisha_Ella
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey Japoco,

Thanks for the reply that's exactly the feedback I wanted The course sounds exactly right for me. Did you go into 1st year? I'm waiting on hearing back to see if i get an offer, I've already done my a-levels and got A*BB (im from Northern Ireland). Just nervous i wont get in!
I'd love to go to an open day! This wasn't my first choice but I'd say it would be up at the top there now after reading this.
How are the lecturers as well? And what are halls like if you know?

Thanks, Alisha
zoewilkie
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I got an offer for International fashion branding at GCU but wondering how different the course is to fashion management at Robert Gordon uni.. Anyone know anything about this?
Alisha_Ella
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I haven't heard back from GCU yet applied for international fashion branding and international fashion business. When did you get your offer? I'm stressing! I also applied for fashion management at Robert Gordon, if anyone has info on that it'd be good to hear
zoewilkie
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I got my offer for int fashion branding at GCU just yesterday, and fashion management at RGU the day before, so you might hear soon! I was like you stressing, hope you get in! Which one do you like best? My friend is doing fashion management at RGU and loves it, but Aberdeen is a bit far from the big cities like Glasgow and Edinburgh.. Your thoughts?
Alisha_Ella
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by zoewilkie)
I got my offer for int fashion branding at GCU just yesterday, and fashion management at RGU the day before, so you might hear soon! I was like you stressing, hope you get in! Which one do you like best? My friend is doing fashion management at RGU and loves it, but Aberdeen is a bit far from the big cities like Glasgow and Edinburgh.. Your thoughts?
Just got unconditional offers for both courses at GCU and robert gordon! I'm pretty sure I'm going to accept the International Fashion Branding, it sounds the best for me cause it's so open. Yeah Aberdeen is quite a while from big cities. Also from what i saw on google maps GCU seems to be in glasgow city centre which is awesome! Have you decided which course you're taking? Hopefully it's GCU
zoewilkie
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Just got unconditional offers for both courses at GCU and robert gordon! I'm pretty sure I'm going to accept the International Fashion Branding, it sounds the best for me cause it's so open. Yeah Aberdeen is quite a while from big cities. Also from what i saw on google maps GCU seems to be in glasgow city centre which is awesome! Have you decided which course you're taking? Hopefully it's GCU
That's awesome well done! I've accepted to GCU for int fashion branding so if you accept too we'll be on the same course, how weird! Yeah its right in the centre of Glasgow and caledonian court is right next to it. So good. Did you accept?
Alisha_Ella
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thanks so much so relieved! Awesome, congrats on that! I'm like 99% sure im going to accept GCU for international fashion branding, just not sure if i should go to an open day before i accept and see it etc. Have you been? If so, what was it like?
Also i thought there was going to be a placement year or at least like 2 months of placement but sadly not it seems when i looked back at the course content. Correct me if I'm wrong xD

That would be so cool if we ended up doing the same course! Being from Northern ireland i dont know anyone at GCU so it'd be nice going in knowing i've chatted to you before! Good ice breaker haha. Hopefully the night life is good, love a good party!
zoewilkie
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thanks so much so relieved! Awesome, congrats on that! I'm like 99% sure im going to accept GCU for international fashion branding, just not sure if i should go to an open day before i accept and see it etc. Have you been? If so, what was it like?
Also i thought there was going to be a placement year or at least like 2 months of placement but sadly not it seems when i looked back at the course content. Correct me if I'm wrong xD

That would be so cool if we ended up doing the same course! Being from Northern ireland i dont know anyone at GCU so it'd be nice going in knowing i've chatted to you before! Good ice breaker haha. Hopefully the night life is good, love a good party!
Thanks! Yeah, well I didnt get a chance to go to the proper open day which I was annoyed about cause that would've been good to meet people, but me and my Mum went in for a tour to see the place, and I really liked it, everyone I spoke to was so friendly and the campus is nice and modern. The accomodation is literally right behind it but we didnt get to see the inside. The whole place is literally a two minute walk into the centre! I actually went having applied to the
Fashion Business course, but realised I'd made a big mistake when she was telling me about it.. We ran to the admissions office to change it haha, so stressful!!!

There's a chance to take three months out for a placement in year three I think, to go to another uni in places like north america, paris etc. Really want to do that! Also have you read about their new campus in New York?? Think you can go there to do further studies on fashion business after you graduate but theres not much info on it.

It actually would be, i was thinking how scary it's going to be just turning up not knowing a single person.. So if you accept come find me! I'll probably be crying in a corner somewhere hahaha.

The nightlife in Glasgow is awesome, i am so excited. Sorry just realised how long this message is.
Alisha_Ella
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
That sounds pretty cool! I think I would want to go see it, I'm curious about the accommodation but i suppose if there's people living there I can hardly nosey around haha. Are you going into halls yeah? I hope I dont end up in halls with ********s haha.

Thats good you changed courses, the branding course sounds more business orientated (weirdly, seeing as the other one is called fashion business). Ohh yeah i did see about that placement, but I think it's just for study, its not a work place so you wouldn't get work experrience. I'd love to go to New York to study after!

Haha yay! Well, like I said 99% sure I'll keep a look out, I'll bring tissues. Where abouts are you from by the way? Thank god, i'd hate to be studying in a place where the night life is ****. It's cool, I like long messages
zoewilkie
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
That sounds pretty cool! I think I would want to go see it, I'm curious about the accommodation but i suppose if there's people living there I can hardly nosey around haha. Are you going into halls yeah? I hope I dont end up in halls with ********s haha.

Thats good you changed courses, the branding course sounds more business orientated (weirdly, seeing as the other one is called fashion business). Ohh yeah i did see about that placement, but I think it's just for study, its not a work place so you wouldn't get work experrience. I'd love to go to New York to study after!

Haha yay! Well, like I said 99% sure I'll keep a look out, I'll bring tissues. Where abouts are you from by the way? Thank god, i'd hate to be studying in a place where the night life is ****. It's cool, I like long messages
Yeah i'm gonna go into halls, it'll be easier to meet people at the uni that way. And i havent heard good things about other flats.. Me too, that'd be the worst, and its not like you can easily move! Ahh yeah, that's a bummer, I'm sure there will be work opportunities. I'm from Perthshire in Scotland haha same, no need to worry about the nightlife in glasgow, there's always good gigs and clubs!
Alisha_Ella
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Havent heard good things about other flats? In glasgow do you mean or just other uni halls in general? Hope student house prices are good i glasgow for after 1st year! Are you in your last year of secondary school then?
zoewilkie
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
There's a few flats called Unite, I
know some people who go/went there and hated it, for various reasons like it was over priced, rude staff and because it's not actually Uni accomodation, i think it's just open to anyone, but google it!

Thats one of the reasons i chose GCU over RGU, I've been told the flat prices in Glasgow are a lot lot cheaper than Aberdeen for when you get a proper flat with friends. Yeah in my last year, getting so tired of school! I'm so ready to leave. Are you?
Redmund
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi guys,

Does anyone have the telephone numbers for the various houses. When I call the main 0800 number the people are really arsy so I want to speak to the hall managers directly if poss.

Thanks a bunch.
KieuTua
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi, just like you guys I got an offer from GCU int fashion branding and from the fashion business course and from RGU fashion management. I was doing some research because I can’t decide and than I saw your posts and was really happy, because I’m an the same situation. I’m still not sure if I should chose GCU over RGU ‘cause I’ve read that RGU is better and the course seems a bit more attractive for me. However like you I’d rather live in a big city.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (17)
17%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (29)
29%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (10)
10%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (10)
10%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (5)
5%
I think it's an unfair expectation (27)
27%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
2%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed