Oxbridge reading speed Watch

This discussion is closed.
emzie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
OMG, how am I ever going to survive at Oxford (i'm being serious here!) I am going to do Geography (heavy reading load) and I got:

208 wpm

64% accuracy
*LoL*
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by emzie)
OMG, how am I ever going to survive at Oxford (i'm being serious here!) I am going to do Geography (heavy reading load) and I got:

208 wpm

64% accuracy
i suppose english is not your first language. if so where r u from?
JamesF
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Speed 198, Efficiency 100% :confused:
I was actually suprised I read at an average speed (200 wpm) I thought I was slower than average.
emzie
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by *LoL*)
i suppose english is not your first language. if so where r u from?

oohhhh GREAT, make me feel SO MUCH BETTER!! English is MOST definitely my 1st and ONLY language, I was born in England and have lived in England (Surrey) all my life! great, make me feel heaps better!
roxy potter
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Hoofbeat)
Does anyone find their mind is quicker than their body?! Sometimes I'm writing things and my mind is about a sentence ahead of the rest of me and suddenly I'll write the wrong word in a sentence which was going to be in the next sentence?! I find it really irritating!
yes its so annoying sometimes i used to end up not finishing words because my mind was already on the next one.
roxy potter
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by lucerna)
Meh, I don't need the test, I'm an auditory reader, I'm pretty sure. Most the time I'm reading at speaking-rate (fast speaking, however) Which isn't that fast, but seems to aid comprehension. Though I did speed-read the fifth harry potter book :rolls eyes:
i sped read that book too couldn't help it i was so excited. just sat down and kept on reading untill i was finished. how long did it take you?
Suzy_vet
Report 15 years ago
Hmm,

Im a very slow reader, but got 100% effciency. I can read faster, but then i dont take it in, and i dont see the point! Wish i could read faster though.
crana
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
807 wpm., 100% efficiency
omg found something i can do............

rosie
devilschild
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
608 wpm but only 64% efficiency so probably not that good! i do tend to skim things though and not read every word
house badger
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
347wpm 73% recall. I'm doing law at Oxford so I don't care what the test says. It's not so much speed over a short paragraph but being able to keep concentrating and taking stuff in when you've got to spend a whole day working through your reading list.

Does anyone realise that this is designed to sell some crap software to stupid people who think it will make them into millionaires overnight. Oh well off to the speed reading seminar for me (although I hear speed reading software is better, where's my credit card now...)
Chinesegirl
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
228 wpm, 91%
going to do PPE, does that sound OK?
I have no idea how fast we should be reading... Well, is there any efficient reading required in class?
sam99
Report 15 years ago
763 wpm and 82% efficiency.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by hitchhiker_13)
What subject do you do?
Medicine. Our reading is mostly picking bits out of textbooks and stringing them together to make a coherent essay. I read fast, but am not about to take some test to find out.

Really guys, this is not worth getting in a tizzy about. It's just an excuse for some people to be ridiculously competitive, and for the rest of you to think you're rubbish and go buy whatever crap it is they're selling. If they let you in to Oxbridge, they're not going to throw you out because you can't read fast enough.
musicbloke
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
Medicine. Our reading is mostly picking bits out of textbooks and stringing them together to make a coherent essay. I read fast, but am not about to take some test to find out.

Really guys, this is not worth getting in a tizzy about. It's just an excuse for some people to be ridiculously competitive, and for the rest of you to think you're rubbish and go buy whatever crap it is they're selling. If they let you in to Oxbridge, they're not going to throw you out because you can't read fast enough.
rather worryingly many people are here because they are so competitive.

MB
hitchhiker_13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by musicboy)
rather worryingly many people are here because they are so competitive.

MB

Yes I've noticed that. It's constant. Everything has to be sorted into what's best - which is the most prestigious, who's the fastest reader, which A level looks the best on your UCAS form!
blissy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I read 900 pages of bleak house (squint print) in a day.
jiefei_ma
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by cofactor)
depending on the material, i can read at around 1000-2000 words per min

i think 1000- 700wpm should be the average reading speed at Oxbridge
is that a joke? or a lie?

it is quite possible that there exists some aliens who have more than one brains and are able to process percept signals in parallel. :d however, they havent been found from this planet yet.
Investmentboy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
text and background colour affect wpm loads also reading on a comp screen can inhibit some people
crana
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
ah, you're all just jealous..

X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (209)
12.83%
Excited (144)
8.84%
Worried (295)
18.11%
Terrified (367)
22.53%
Meh (149)
9.15%
Confused (35)
2.15%