Turn on thread page Beta

6 Nations - England vs. France watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    LOL, er... okay... do they play in it or not?
    yes, and we got the wooden spoon cos we lost every game (and even managed to not score a single point against france). wooooooo.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)
    yes, and we got the wooden spoon cow we lost every game (and even managed to not score a single point against france). wooooooo.

lou xxx
    hehe, ah... so your Scottish?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XTinaA)
    We've already got the Haka, we don't need the goose-step.
    UKL has its own "HAQA"

ReputationRep:
    hehe, ah... so your Scottish?
    Yep, she is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    UKL has its own "HAQA"
    Haka? Haqa? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Haka? Haqa? :confused:
    No worries, ZJUwelH will understand.

His surname is "Haque" you see....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    No worries, ZJUwelH will understand.

His surname is "Haque" you see....
    Lol, ok :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Lol, ok :confused:
    i second that ... + We played absolute crap - bloody donkeys :mad:

ReputationRep:
    at least bath played well they beat london irish with a last min drop goal!

ReputationRep:
    We'll also have Joey Johns teling us all that League's better anyway and that Union's for nancy boys :rolleyes:
    You seem to forget I am primarily a Rugby Union boy. Its my favourite sport. I just have the guts to admit that League players (especially Aussies) are far more skilled than their union counterparts. As for the being 'tougher' issue, there is no contest. Rugby League physically is far tougher than Union, ask any Australian.

As for the game itself. Well, i'd like to point out that France's tries were staple rugby league tactics. A grubber and a kick to the corner. France obviously learnt their lesson from the world cup. The lesson being up the jumper style rugby with a few flat passes is not going to break down a rock solid England defence. What they did was be more creative by using rugby league type attack methods, kicking from withing the oppositions 22 when no one is at home. England were hapless, they need someone who can link the backline together, Henry Paul is the only man for the job at the moment. Simpson Daniel is tricky, but he doesnt have the long passing game Paul does.

ReputationRep:
    My favourite rugby team a few weeks ago was Ireland. Now it's France.

ReputationRep:
    We'll also have Joey Johns teling us all that League's better anyway and that Union's for nancy boys :rolleyes:
    Finally glad to see that the BBC delivered on its promise of "the best skills in world rugby" this weekend.

It was on BBC2 Sunday Grandstand when St Helens played Hull F.C.

Never in either code have I seen such an intense, exciting match.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    You seem to forget I am primarily a Rugby Union boy. Its my favourite sport. I just have the guts to admit that League players (especially Aussies) are far more skilled than their union counterparts. As for the being 'tougher' issue, there is no contest. Rugby League physically is far tougher than Union, ask any Australian.

As for the game itself. Well, i'd like to point out that France's tries were staple rugby league tactics. A grubber and a kick to the corner. France obviously learnt their lesson from the world cup. The lesson being up the jumper style rugby with a few flat passes is not going to break down a rock solid England defence. What they did was be more creative by using rugby league type attack methods, kicking from withing the oppositions 22 when no one is at home. England were hapless, they need someone who can link the backline together, Henry Paul is the only man for the job at the moment. Simpson Daniel is tricky, but he doesnt have the long passing game Paul does.
    i think mike catt did a really good job when he came on, transforming the game - showing that England can't always look to new players.... Matt Dawson had a terrible game I think - he was probably responsible for at least one of their tries - the england back line were probably to blame for the others. surely it was fairly obvious that france were going to kick to the corner?

henry paul is playing rugby 7s now isn't he?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    i think mike catt did a really good job when he came on, transforming the game - showing that England can't always look to new players.... Matt Dawson had a terrible game I think - he was probably responsible for at least one of their tries - the england back line were probably to blame for the others. surely it was fairly obvious that france were going to kick to the corner?

henry paul is playing rugby 7s now isn't he?
    This the new 'man' for England:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugb...al/3576859.stm

About time too IMO. England were hapless. Yes Catt changed the game, he can actually pass and at the moment should start for England. He obviously isnt the future though, that rests with J Simpson Daniel. As for Dawson, expect Mark Simpson Daniel to challenge him for the scrum half role by the time of the next world cup. I've played lots of rep footy with and against that boy and he will go all the way.

Paul should now get into the side with Lydon becoming the attacking coach. Lydon knows how to use Paul (Wigan and England 7's), unlike Woodward, so he will defo be in the line up insetead of Tindall. Paul is a strange talent, you need to base the whole team around him to get the best results. In other words he needs constant ball, and that he will get with Lydon calling the shots. Paul has one of the best passing gmaes in the world and this needs to be exploited for England to move on.

Well it is obvious that they were going to kick to the corner if you plan too. There are countless times when there is no one at home in Union games but this is not exploited due to the unwillingness to give away possesion. Thats the problem. As rugby league style attacking tactics come into all the nations like the defence tactics did you will find that the wingers have to drop back much more, like they do in LEague now to stop this.

ReputationRep:
    This the new 'man' for England:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugb...al/3576859.stm

About time too IMO. England were hapless. Yes Catt changed the game, he can actually pass and at the moment should start for England. He obviously isnt the future though, that rests with J Simpson Daniel. As for Dawson, expect Mark Simpson Daniel to challenge him for the scrum half role by the time of the next world cup. I've played lots of rep footy with and against that boy and he will go all the way.

Paul should now get into the side with Lydon becoming the attacking coach. Lydon knows how to use Paul (Wigan and England 7's), unlike Woodward, so he will defo be in the line up insetead of Tindall. Paul is a strange talent, you need to base the whole team around him to get the best results. In other words he needs constant ball, and that he will get with Lydon calling the shots. Paul has one of the best passing gmaes in the world and this needs to be exploited for England to move on.

Well it is obvious that they were going to kick to the corner if you plan too. There are countless times when there is no one at home in Union games but this is not exploited due to the unwillingness to give away possesion. Thats the problem. As rugby league style attacking tactics come into all the nations like the defence tactics did you will find that the wingers have to drop back much more, like they do in LEague now to stop this.
    lol the expected dissertation in reply

the thing is, it's going to be hard for someone like Woodward to go and base his team around someone who isn't proven internationally - Henry Paul has played well when I've seen him, but it would be hard to justify getting seasoned internationals to base themselves around his game. I think the strong point of england (during the world cup at least) was that the backs were all versatile enough to slot into each other's positions meaning that they had a lot of options available both in att and def. they already have good fly halfs and scrum halfs who can pass intelligently imo.
    oh, and i think greenwood should probably be dropped instead of Tindall - tindall is a pretty useful runner and kicker of the ball.

probably sounds like a lot of rubbish to u

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    lol the expected dissertation in reply

the thing is, it's going to be hard for someone like Woodward to go and base his team around someone who isn't proven internationally - Henry Paul has played well when I've seen him, but it would be hard to justify getting seasoned internationals to base themselves around his game. I think the strong point of england (during the world cup at least) was that the backs were all versatile enough to slot into each other's positions meaning that they had a lot of options available both in att and def. they already have good fly halfs and scrum halfs who can pass intelligently imo.
    oh, and i think greenwood should probably be dropped instead of Tindall - tindall is a pretty useful runner and kicker of the ball.

probably sounds like a lot of rubbish to u
    Hmm, England played very poorly throughout the world cup for what they could achieve. They have disapointed since the test last summer against the Aussies.

Trust me if Paul gets his chance (which he hasnt yet) he will impress you greatly. You forget Paul has played on many occasions for the Kiwi's at rugby League against the best rugby team in the world, he is a seasoned international, just not in union. He will also link up with Robinson like you have never seen before as in 98 when they were formidable force for Wigan that won them the Grand Final. Robinson is wasted with the current England back line. The players give him the ball and expect him to break the line every time which just doesnt happen. He is good but not that good. Paul will provide quality money balls, these balls are more about timing than the actual quality of the pass, thats the difference between a top passer and a mediocre one.

As for Tindall and Greenwood, both should be dropped. A Paul and Simpson Daniel partnership is the way forward. Btw, Paul is an excellent kicker, much better than Tindall who can only hoof the ball. Dawson and Wilkinson do not have an advanced passing game. You will start to see England throwing line balls and long loop passes with Lydon calling the shots now, thats HP's speciality.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, England played very poorly throughout the world cup for what they could achieve. They have disapointed since the test last summer against the Aussies.

Trust me if Paul gets his chance (which he hasnt yet) he will impress you greatly. You forget Paul has played on many occasions for the Kiwi's at rugby League against the best rugby team in the world, he is a seasoned international, just not in union. He will also link up with Robinson like you have never seen before as in 98 when they were formidable force for Wigan that won them the Grand Final. Robinson is wasted with the current England back line. The players give him the ball and expect him to break the line every time which just doesnt happen. He is good but not that good. Paul will provide quality money balls, these balls are more about timing than the actual quality of the pass, thats the difference between a top passer and a mediocre one.

As for Tindall and Greenwood, both should be dropped. A Paul and Simpson Daniel partnership is the way forward. Btw, Paul is an excellent kicker, much better than Tindall who can only hoof the ball. Dawson and Wilkinson do not have an advanced passing game. You will start to see England throwing line balls and long loop passes with Lydon calling the shots now, thats HP's speciality.
    totally agree with you

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.