The Student Room Group

Applying for a PGCE with no recent experience in a school

Hi guys,

I'm looking to apply for a PGCE for September 2014. I have previously done work experience in a school, but it was in 2006 and then again in 2008 (both for 2 week periods). I've noticed that most universities ask for at least 10 days' experience in the last 2 years, but I wondered if anyone knows whether this is absolutely essential? My application would meet all the other minimum requirements.

Emma
I don't want to appear harsh but I'm afraid it is essential to have recent experience in schools when it comes to applying for PGCE courses now; the Government have stuck their noses in and have told Universities to tighten up their selection process - they want the highest standard of students both academically but also those able to demonstrate that in the last couple of years they've made an informed choice to go into teaching based on experience in schools.

On my Secondary English course there is 25 of us. I imagine at least 100 people applied. That's how selective it is now - there's a hell of a lot of hoops to jump through both before and after being offered a place so you need to get experience sorted ASAP. It's excellent that you have already had experience in schools and by all means mention that and explain what you got out of that experience but I do think you need more recent experience just too make yourself an even stronger candidate.
Reply 2
You could ring up some schools and ask to volunteer for 2 weeks or so.
Reply 3
Thanks for your replies. Ideally I wanted to apply this year to start next year, but as I'm in a full-time job I don't have the free time to volunteer during the week in schools. I think the answer is to wait until I get my allocation for leave in January at work and arrange to volunteer in a school then, and then apply next year to start in 2015.

Another thing, I've also looked at School Direct, and can't see anywhere where it says you need previous experience to apply for that, just the three years' general experience in any employment. Does anyone know if that's definitely the case?
[QUOTE='[ e m m a ];44538775']Thanks for your replies. Ideally I wanted to apply this year to start next year, but as I'm in a full-time job I don't have the free time to volunteer during the week in schools. I think the answer is to wait until I get my allocation for leave in January at work and arrange to volunteer in a school then, and then apply next year to start in 2015.

Another thing, I've also looked at School Direct, and can't see anywhere where it says you need previous experience to apply for that, just the three years' general experience in any employment. Does anyone know if that's definitely the case?

You *might* get in without recent experience but your application will look weaker than that of most people you are competing against. How can you be absolutely sure teaching is for you unless you set foot in a school?
Reply 5
I have done work experience in schools previously, in 2006 and 2008, so I know what it's like. I chose a different route after college, but am now looking to get back to my original career path.

My issue is that I don't have "recent" experience, not no experience at all.
(edited 10 years ago)
[QUOTE='[ e m m a ];44539351']I have done work experience in schools previously, in 2006 and 2008, so I know what it's like. I chose a different route after college, but am now looking to get back to my original career path.

My issue is that I don't have "recent" experience, not no experience at all.

Do you think nothing has changed? That's a little naïve.
Reply 7
I don't for a second think that nothing has changed, I'm asking a question about the application process and how recent your experience needs to be. That's like saying it's a little naive to think that you're smart enough to do a PGCE if you got below a 2:1, yet plenty of people get accepted onto the course with less than a 2:1. I'm simply asking about the likelihood of getting a place.
Original post by Steveluis10

On my Secondary English course there is 25 of us.

:facepalm:
Reply 9
I have started my PGCE without *any* teaching experience what so ever. I had helped out in an after school club at a primary school but that has no relation to what I am doing now (post-compulsory education) so it can happen! I would suggest though that you do try at least get some experience in if you can, I feel a bit out of my depth if I am honest, but I'm not the only person in my position so that's slightly reassuring!
Out of 90 people who were interviewed, there were only 16 places on my course, so it'd not like I was an after thought either just to fill up numbers.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do! The institution may interview you and then say you have to do some experience, a friend of mine has just started her PGCE in the Midlands and they sent her on a 10 day work experience placement before she started the course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending