The Student Room Group

Skills from being prefect?

I am trying to write my personal statement and am wanting to put in the fact i am a prefect in my school. what skills do you get from being a prefect and what does being voted for by pupils and staff say about you??

Scroll to see replies

You don't "get" any skills from doing any sort of activity. All you "get" is an opportunity to practice and demonstrate your skills.

TBH unless you've got nothing else to write about I wouldn't mention your prefectship in your PS if you're so unsure of why you did it and what it involved. Your PS should be 90% or more about your SUBJECT except in a very very small minority of cases.
This question comes up every year. The answer may surprise you - most Admissions Tutors aren't actually impressed by you 'being a prefect' and many simply ignore it.

The reason is simple - being a prefect says more about your school than it does about you. Many state schools dont do 'leadership roles' at all and, even f they do, in a Year 12/13 of 250 people your chances of getting this sort of role are obviously far less than in a small private school where there might be an A level group of 20. It isnt therefore a 'fair' way of judging applicants.

The Unis also have no idea why you were given this role - 'prettiest girl', 'most popular', 'teacher's pet' or even 'no-one else would do it'. I even know of schools where all Year 13s get to be a prefect, and at least one where someone was 'Head Girl' because she was the only girl in an all male sixth-form. It isnt therefore an indicator of character or leadership or any other quality. Just that you went to a school where someone hands out 'jobs' and calls it 'being a prefect'.

So you can see now why we tend to glaze over when we read 'I'm a prefect', because its utterly meaningless really and it doesnt actually tell us anything about you - or your suitability for University study, merely that you get to walk around your school with a badge pinned to your left-nipple.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by returnmigrant
This question comes up every year. The answer may surprise you - most Admissions Tutors aren't actually impressed by you 'being a prefect' and many simply ignore it.

The reason is simple - being a prefect says more about your school than it does about you. Many state schools dont do 'leadership roles' at all and, even f they do, in a Year 12/13 of 250 people your chances of getting this sort of role are obviously far less than in a small private school where there might be an A level group of 20. It isnt therefore a 'fair' way of judging applicants.

The Unis also have no idea why you were given this role - 'prettiest girl', 'most popular', 'teacher's pet' or even 'no-one else would do it'. I even know of schools where all Year 13s get to be a prefect, and at least one where someone was 'Head Girl' because she was the only girl in an all male sixth-form. It isnt therefore an indicator of character or leadership or any other quality. Just that you went to a school where someone hands out 'jobs' and calls it 'being a prefect'.

So you can see now why we tend to glaze over when we read 'I'm a prefect', because its utterly meaningless really and it doesnt actually tell us anything about you - or your suitability for University study, merely that you get to walk around your school with a badge pinned to your left-nipple.

PRSOM
Reply 4
Original post by NicolaJ6366
I am trying to write my personal statement and am wanting to put in the fact i am a prefect in my school. what skills do you get from being a prefect and what does being voted for by pupils and staff say about you??

Depends on the stuff you are forced to do.

Like doing open days and stuff may show commitment, whilst setting up a subject convention may show teamwork.

But in all honesty, the prefect stuff is all so boring in a Pstatement i must say and i doubt any university holds too much weight on it. Make sure you spend no more than 2 lines on this extra curricular ^^.

The sentence: 'I was also selected to be a prefect, which has allowed me to demonstrate skills such as leadership by ...' Is probably overused and will add little/nothing.
Reply 5
to be honest when I was a prefect in school, I didn't do anything
Reply 6

Completely agree with this.

When I was at school everyone in upper sixth form was a prefect, and we didn't have a head girl, we had a head girl team :rolleyes:.

PRSOM! :biggrin: Seriously, the majority of my year, 31 pupils, (excluding me) have been made prefects, yet their work seems to consist of trying to discipline unruly younger pupils and wiping tables at lunch time...
My school is labouring under the misconception that to be in with a shot, we all need to hold 'positions of responsibility'. :colondollar:
Original post by Zottula
Completely agree with this.

When I was at school everyone in upper sixth form was a prefect, and we didn't have a head girl, we had a head girl team :rolleyes:.

Yep, pretty much the same at my school - the majority of the year (only about 7/31 of us excluded) are prefects, with a 4-pupil strong head girl team. Prefects are partly decided on 'popularity' anyway, as they are voted for by older pupils and teaches.
Original post by ladymarshmallow
PRSOM! :biggrin: Seriously, the majority of my year, 31 pupils, (excluding me) have been made prefects, yet their work seems to consist of trying to discipline unruly younger pupils and wiping tables at lunch time...
My school is labouring under the misconception that to be in with a shot, we all need to hold 'positions of responsibility'. :colondollar:

I hesitate to let out the secrets of my trade, but this is how we get some of the drearier jobs done around the place....
Original post by carnationlilyrose
I hesitate to let out the secrets of my trade, but this is how we get some of the drearier jobs done around the place....

Well, it's got to be done some way or another I suppose. :tongue:
Well, it's got to be done some way or another I suppose. :tongue:

Yes. The genius stroke of letting it be called a position of responsibility makes a chore into a privilege. Win - win!
Original post by NicolaJ6366

Don't mention being a prefect since the roles are given out like candy. You will just be wasting characters on your PS, put something more worthwhile and relevant in.
Reply 13
I feel sad that this is the case, prefects may be just a title in some schools, but not everywhere. I'm not claiming being a prefect brought huge responsibility in my school, but we did do a lot. We helped out in open days, entrance exam days [I go to a grammar school you see], single-handedly organised and ran the school's summer fair.. but we can't really talk about any of those experiences in our PS, all of that work was pretty much for nothing then
Reply 14
To be honest the prefect system in my school is basically "We will give you a fancy name and a badge in return for you doing all the jobs that we teachers don't want to do (e.g. library duty, monitoring corridors, etc.)"
Yes. The genius stroke of letting it be called a position of responsibility makes a chore into a privilege. Win - win!

Very true :wink:
Reply 16

As a previous prefect, I am both shocked and indignant! :unimpressed:

Though now you mention it, it was odd most people were allowed a turn... and that our jobs were to patrol areas the teachers didn't go, under the impression we had been deemed responsible and trustworthy. It was all lies!

I had a very different experience.

Where I come from it's common for senior pupils to be hunted for their valuable pelts by younger years. At first prefects were armed with just a badge, whistle and a keycard for the lift (that doubled as a panic room)

However after a paticularly violent term in which 4 prefects were killed by folder based explosive devices. Head boy/ girl and house captains (such as myself) were issued with side arms and 2 extra magazines

The violence escalated when a female dinner hall monitor was hit by splash back from a custard bomb. The alarm was sounded and all prefects, heads, and captains rushed to aide the staff.

By the time I arrived on scene a male biology teacher had been beheaded and manic chanting had started. The youngers were whipping themselves into a frenzy as seniors and staff rushed to safety. The headboy was stabbed with what appeared to be a broken mug and I was forced to take command.

I quickly ordered the prefects o fetch the janatorial floor buffer and after a few modifications it was decked in LAPD livery and had a flamethrower. I stripped naked and began to wildly fire into the crowd. The sight of my not insignificant appendage sent the cretins fleeing in fear. The janatorial buffer pushed forwards crushing the young and the weak.

We managed to contain the horde in the gym hall which coincidentally was one big basketball court due to african american stereotypes and the prevalance of black players in the NBA every was killed in gang related violence, police brutality and intercoastal hip hop beef.

Then I woke up, study period was over it was time to stand in the common room and make sure people put things in bins and noone picked on the wierd kids.
Original post by AwsomePossum
I had a very different experience.

Where I come from it's common for senior pupils to be hunted for their valuable pelts by younger years. At first prefects were armed with just a badge, whistle and a keycard for the lift (that doubled as a panic room)

However after a paticularly violent term in which 4 prefects were killed by folder based explosive devices. Head boy/ girl and house captains (such as myself) were issued with side arms and 2 extra magazines

The violence escalated when a female dinner hall monitor was hit by splash back from a custard bomb. The alarm was sounded and all prefects, heads, and captains rushed to aide the staff.

By the time I arrived on scene a male biology teacher had been beheaded and manic chanting had started. The youngers were whipping themselves into a frenzy as seniors and staff rushed to safety. The headboy was stabbed with what appeared to be a broken mug and I was forced to take command.

I quickly ordered the prefects o fetch the janatorial floor buffer and after a few modifications it was decked in LAPD livery and had a flamethrower. I stripped naked and began to wildly fire into the crowd. The sight of my not insignificant appendage sent the cretins fleeing in fear. The janatorial buffer pushed forwards crushing the young and the weak.

We managed to contain the horde in the gym hall which coincidentally was one big basketball court due to african american stereotypes and the prevalance of black players in the NBA every was killed in gang related violence, police brutality and intercoastal hip hop beef.

Then I woke up, study period was over it was time to stand in the common room and make sure people put things in bins and noone picked on the wierd kids.

Hehe, oh this was most entertaining to read! :biggrin:
Reply 19
x

This is true, but if you give a concise explanation of what you think you gained from being a prefect then they may take it into account.
I'm guessing a lot of people just state the fact they were a prefect on their PS and its a wasted sentence.
Also, it depends on the subject. I mean an ability to articulate well may be a lot more appealing to a law admissions tutor than a maths admissions tutor

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending