North Wolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I would like to know which all universities are good for economics. Is it Exeter, Sussex, Bath or Lancaster? I would like to know your opinions..

Thank You for reading this post.
sazzabazza
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think Bath and Exeter are practically on equal footing, then Lancaster, then Sussex.
DarthVador
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by sazzabazza)
I think Bath and Exeter are practically on equal footing, then Lancaster, then Sussex.
Good joke.
Bath economics is far more competitive and superior than exeter economics.
The average salaries for bath econ students puts exeter to shame.
witchcat
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...gs?s=economics (Exeter wins)

http://www.theguardian.com/education...uide-economics (Bath wins)
EmilioAlzamora
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
ad Darth Vador:

Bath is definitely strong in Economics, no doubt, however, compare the excellent research quality of Exeter (RAE ranking) and the staff at the Economics department. One of the most experienced and highly renowned econometrians in the UK (Prof. James Davidson - co-author of several journal articles with David Hendry) is part of the Economics department at Exeter. Beyond that, they have very experienced staff members in Micro and Macro (Gareth Myles, Todd Kaplan, David Kelsey).

On the whole I agree that Bath has an outstanding reputation, but Exeter is certainly on the same level and they are on the up in the research rankings (Economics section) and in the league tables for many consecutive years.

In general, Bath is a lovely city, but Exeter is somewhat bigger (I was a student there) and has more on offer in terms of social life (shopping opportunities and so forth).
makrxx
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Would Manchester be really far behind Bath/Exeter? In terms of future job prospects etc.

Leaning slightly towards Manchester as it offers a more defined Finance BA rather than the Economics & Finance of Exeter and Accounting & Finance of Bath.
EmilioAlzamora
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by makrxx)
Would Manchester be really far behind Bath/Exeter? In terms of future job prospects etc.

Leaning slightly towards Manchester as it offers a more defined Finance BA rather than the Economics & Finance of Exeter and Accounting & Finance of Bath.
definitely not far behind. Who told you this? That's plain nonsense; don't look only at the biased rankings, that's my first and most crucial advice! Manchester has an exceptional Business School and very good staff in teaching quantitative modules.

For me it's not clear what you really wanna do? Economics, Finance or Accounting?

my humble opinion is that the combined Eco. & Finance degree at Exeter is an excellent degree as it gives you the basics in both and don't restricts you in your further studies. What's even more, you will notice that there is no Finance with Economics and vice versa.

In short, it's on you to choose between Manchester vs. Exeter vs. Bath (Bath is somewhat stronger in Economics, I'm not quite sure about their Finance Dept.) - I would go either for Manchester or Exeter, but bear in mind that Exeter goes from strength to strength and their Finance (primarily the Head - Richard Harris) department is simply brilliant.

In terms of career prospects I can't see you disadvantaged with neither Exeter nor Manchester. Personally, I would go for Exeter! If you are aiming for something even higher, then you have to choose either between Warwick or LSE.

Hope this helps
Film
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Some info about Economics which is interesting for Exeter and Bath.
Attached files
RibenaRockstar
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I minor in economics at bath and I wouldn't recommend it. The department are shocking. Of the lecturers I've had from the economics department (six total), I would only call one of them any good.
makrxx
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thanks for the reply!

Finance>Economics>Accounting. Ultimately I'm more keen on Finance as I've taken macroeconomics modules before and it is not something I'm strong at(B,C+).

Manchester seems to offer more 'rounded' 1st year modules as compared to Exeter...and also the specialization of Finance in the 2nd/3rd year.
  • 30 units of Accountancy and Finance
  • 20 units of Economics
  • 20 units of Mathematics/Statistics
  • 20 units of Social Sciences - e.g. Politics, Sociology, Social Anthropology or Philosophy
  • Remaining 30 units from other disciplines - including Social Sciences, Development, Applied Statistics, Economic History or Study Skills.
compared to Exeter's
BEE1030
Microeconomics I

BEE1031
Macroeconomics I

BEE1022
Introduction to Statistics

BEE1033
Introduction to Finance and Accounting

BEE1020
Basic Mathematical Economics [For Students without A-Level Mathematics only]

BEE1024
Mathematics for Economists

Would the Finance(BAEcon) http://www.manchester.ac.uk/undergra...ourse-details/
limit my job prospects as compared to doing a Economics & Finance at Exeter?

I'm an international student and ultimately I want to do well in university, hence being in Exeter with many top students, would it be very competitive?

Of course Manchester is more appealing in terms of the city life, bigger city, shopping, nightlife etc. But Exeter seems to have the slight edge in terms of the quality of the degree over Manchester.

Quite a dilemma, haha

(Original post by EmilioAlzamora)
definitely not far behind. Who told you this? That's plain nonsense; don't look only at the biased rankings, that's my first and most crucial advice! Manchester has an exceptional Business School and very good staff in teaching quantitative modules.

For me it's not clear what you really wanna do? Economics, Finance or Accounting?

my humble opinion is that the combined Eco. & Finance degree at Exeter is an excellent degree as it gives you the basics in both and don't restricts you in your further studies. What's even more, you will notice that there is no Finance with Economics and vice versa.

In short, it's on you to choose between Manchester vs. Exeter vs. Bath (Bath is somewhat stronger in Economics, I'm not quite sure about their Finance Dept.) - I would go either for Manchester or Exeter, but bear in mind that Exeter goes from strength to strength and their Finance (primarily the Head - Richard Harris) department is simply brilliant.

In terms of career prospects I can't see you disadvantaged with neither Exeter nor Manchester. Personally, I would go for Exeter! If you are aiming for something even higher, then you have to choose either between Warwick or LSE.

Hope this helps
EmilioAlzamora
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
well, that's some rough research what you have done, but you have to look closer what they really teach in each single module and WHO! is teaching!

If you wanna do Finance, the modules in Exeter will definitely give you a better edge for what to come in the future (your 2nd, 3rd year modules).

You simply can't tell whether the degree in MAN vs. the degree in EXETER would limit your job chances - this is plain nonsense. As I said, both have excellent Business Schools (the reputation of both in the UK is stellar, when it comes to worldwide reputation it's quite hard and plainly by looking at the rankings Manchester may have a better standing than Exeter, however, this is simply on the paper - I hope you understand what I mean). No one will discount you when you graduate from Manchester and vice versa.

Forget about city life and all the amenities/drawbacks of these two cities, make your decision based on the strengths of the university and the course; compared to Manchester - which is a terrible city in my opinion, full of industrialism and one of those places in the UK most heavily hit by the rain throughout the air - the South (Exeter - Devon) is probably one of the most loveliest area in the UK.

My final advice: go for Exeter, you'll love it; I can assure you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (181)
14.21%
I'm not sure (59)
4.63%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (375)
29.43%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.9%
I'm not a current university student (622)
48.82%

Watched Threads