Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I am really annoyed at my predicted grades by my school! I am predicted:

English Lit & Lang: C (I want A)
Biology: C (I want A*)
Chemistry: C (I want A*)
Psychology: C (I want A*)
Environmental Science Self Teaching (I want A*)
Applied Science After School To Finish Of Y11 AS (I want Distinction Star)

In my GCSE's I got 4A*S 1A 2B's 3C's

Why are they predicted so low?
Jkizer
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ShaneJ)

Maybe because you got C's on the easier stage of a level
ShaneJ
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jkizer)
Maybe because you got C's on the easier stage of a level

What do you mean? Is that good?
dancelover101
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
how well did you do in coursework etc? sometimes if the coursework isn't as good quality then the target grade will be lowered. it is the same for homework records as well!
bluebeetle
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Are you talking about actual predicted grades (meaning you will complete the A2 this year), or are these target grades for your AS?
If these are for AS subjects and you aren't applying to uni this year, it doesn't really matter, just have fun proving the school wrong. Bear in mind that a lot of good GCSE students struggle at AS, so maybe the school is just targetting lowly to avoid disappointment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
dlaiden
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Without at least a B in Biology, Chemistry and Philosophy, it isn't even possible for you to get an A*. If you're predicted Cs across the board, that indicates that you either got Cs or Ds at AS level; no good teacher is going to bump up your predicted grades to an A or above on the basis of that. Universities would see the discrepancy between your AS grades and your predicted ones and reject you anyway.

EDIT: If these are AS level predictions, then they're probably still accurate looking at your GCSEs. What exactly did you get 4A*s in? If it's not a BTEC/a subject not relevant to what you're now studying, then your predictions should be a little higher (maybe all/most Bs). If it is a BTEC/an irrelevant subject, then with 1A, 2Bs and 3Cs yes, a C is an accurate ALPS prediction. I got 7As and I was predicted Bs for AS, although I did better than that.
ShaneJ
Rep:
?
(Original post by dancelover101)
how well did you do in coursework etc? sometimes if the coursework isn't as good quality then the target grade will be lowered. it is the same for homework records as well!
I got A* and A in my coursework it was just some of the exams I was really ill on like 3 of my exams. I was a really good student, asked for extra homework ahah.
ShaneJ
Rep:
?
(Original post by bluebeetle)
Are you talking about actual predicted grades (meaning you will complete the A2 this year), or are these target grades for your AS?
If these are for AS subjects and you aren't applying to uni this year, it doesn't really matter, just have fun proving the school wrong. Bear in mind that a lot of good GCSE students struggle at AS, so maybe the school is just targetting lowly to avoid disappointment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is for AS. I am going to have so much fun seeing there faces on results day aha. I am finding it enjoyable to be honest but just wish the teachers would be nicer when you ask for help
ShaneJ
Rep:
?
(Original post by dlaiden)
Without at least a B in Biology, Chemistry and Philosophy, it isn't even possible for you to get an A*. If you're predicted Cs across the board, that indicates that you either got Cs or Ds at AS level; no good teacher is going to bump up your predicted grades to an A or above on the basis of that. Universities would see the discrepancy between your AS grades and your predicted ones and reject you anyway.
This is for AS but i am just saying for the full A Level what i want. For my AS grade A in every subject
dancelover101
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I got A* and A in my coursework it was just some of the exams I was really ill on like 3 of my exams. I was a really good student, asked for extra homework ahah.
ohhh. well, i wouldn't worry about it then.
ShaneJ
Rep:
?
Oh, Should I just ignore there predictions then?
noobslayer
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
This is for AS. I am going to have so much fun seeing there faces on results day aha. I am finding it enjoyable to be honest but just wish the teachers would be nicer when you ask for help
They often go off averages, for example with yours you averaged a mid B, therefore due to the jump up to A-level your predicted grades are slightly lower. To be predicted A*s you need (very close to) an average of an A* at GCSE.
dancelover101
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
that is what i did for drama gcse (predicted a c in coursework) and i got an A
Economists
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If these are your predicted AS grades, firstly, you can't get an A* at AS and secondly, why does it even matter?
Big-Daddy
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by dlaiden)
Without at least a B in Biology, Chemistry and Philosophy, it isn't even possible for you to get an A*.
On what account? It is possible to get an A* as long as you scraped at least 60% at AS, which means I could be borderline C/D in my AS exams and in theory still get an A*.

And then there are always retakes.
ShaneJ
Rep:
?
(Original post by noobslayer)
They often go off averages, for example with yours you averaged a mid B, therefore due to the jump up to A-level your predicted grades are slightly lower. To be predicted A*s you need (very close to) an average of an A* at GCSE.
Ah I see now. I am going to just make my own predictions. My teachers said that they see them as the minimum grade I could get but I could get an A at AS if I wanted.
Aneesah_May
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You got two B and 3C predicted grades are only a guess. Ypur gcse grades are calculated and a number is created so say if your number is 7 predicted grades are higher I got 6.sumin got predicted BBBC and I got 3B 6A 1.5A* you have more A* but its the overalk that counts. Dont make a big deal out of it who cares just work hard and get higher
ShaneJ
Rep:
?
(Original post by Economists)
If these are your predicted AS grades, firstly, you can't get an A* at AS and secondly, why does it even matter?
I know you can't get an A* at AS I was talking about my overall A Levels. I have already done an AS with a Distinction. It matters to me beacuse i need to get A A* A* A* A* D*
ShaneJ
Rep:
?
(Original post by Aneesah_May)
You got two B and 3C predicted grades are only a guess. Ypur gcse grades are calculated and a number is created so say if your number is 7 predicted grades are higher I got 6.sumin got predicted BBBC and I got 3B 6A 1.5A* you have more A* but its the overalk that counts. Dont make a big deal out of it who cares just work hard and get higher
Okay I got A's and A*s as well. I am going to get higher just to annoy them.
walkers38
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hello guys, I have just done my AS, and I was wondering about predicted grades too. I got 258/300 (A) in AS Chemistry. I have been predicted A (for A2) by the teacher. Do you think it is possible to get A* prediction? Or would it be worthless telling my teacher to change it? She's a bit annoying and strict when it comes to prediction grades. Argh.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (89)
13.01%
1 (89)
13.01%
2 (88)
12.87%
18.86%
22.37%
19.88%

Watched Threads