Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    1) What universities are you thinking of applying to?
    2) What subjects do you do and what do you think you will get at the end of this AS year?
    3) Route you want to take after Psychology?
    4) GCSE grades?
    5) Backup if Psychology doesn't work out?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    If this is for current year 12s moving onto year 13:

1) A range of universities so far ... recently gained lots of prospectuses and looking through those and trying to narrow them down so I have a range of universities to apply to when I find out my exam results in August, some of the ones I've really looked into so far are York (very long shot but one can hope), UEA, Canterbury Christ Church, Leicester, Aston, Reading ... - they have ranges of grades so I've looked through these so far but have got more to look at down my list then will compare and begin choosing from all of them! - Sorry probably not a great help but that's how it is at the moment for m

2) At the moment I am doing: history, Spanish, biology (enjoy it and sciences can be useful when making applications - though unsure of my grade...), sociology (closest I could get to psychology at my school and really enjoying it)
    N.B all on AQA except biology which is OCR

3) Preferably/hopefully (emphasis on the latter!) do a postgraduate in clinical psychology and then enter clinical psychology

4) GCSE grades =
    A* - Biology

Distinction ICT (OCR Nationals)
    A - History (short course)

A - Chemistry
    A - Physics
    A - RE
    A - Maths
    A - Maths
    (we did two different GCSEs in maths, methods and applications or something...)
    A - English Literature
    A - English Language
    A - Spanish

B - Drama
    B - Geography (short course)
    B - Statistics

5) As in I cannot get into the degree - unsure hopefully I'll get into 1! If not reapply with a better personal statement or something ... retake A levels if anywhere would let me ... consider reapplying the next year but for a different course ...

As in I decide after graduating post graduate clinical psychology degree is not for me or psychology at all: psychology degrees are useful and lots of psychology graduates may find interest in another subject or enter employment as therapists or in the retail industry for example

But to be honest I'm pretty dead-set on psychology at the moment
    I hope this helped ... they're some good questions and I hope I answered them in a way that can of some use to you!
    Please contact me or reply on the thread etc. if you think I could be of more help

Listener15

ReputationRep:
    1) What universities are you thinking of applying to? - University of St. Andrew's, University of Glasgow, Queen's University, Belfast, University of Durham (Education with Psychology)
    2) What subjects do you do and what do you think you will get at the end of this AS year? - Biology (C), Chemistry (B), Mathematics (A), Music (A).
    3) Route you want to take after Psychology? - Would like to go into Educational Psychology, Developmental Psychology, Music Psychology or Stuff related to the Census (It sounds quite interesting but it might be more sociology than psychology! :L)
    4) GCSE grades? - As follows:
    A*- Mathematics
    A- Additional Mathematics, Drama, Double Award Science, French and Music.
    B- English Language, English Literature and Religious Studies A.
    5) Backup if Psychology doesn't work out? - Teaching with Psychology, Music or Science & Maths.

ReputationRep:
    I applied this year (for 2013 entry), so if anyone has any questions about applications then feel free to ask.

ReputationRep:
    GOOD THREAD.

Currently looking at Nottingham, Sheffield and Newcastle. I really need to do more research though... visit the unis, talk to students ect. All of the entry requirements are really high for these ones though (AAA-AAB). Are there any other 'good' unis with lower entry grades that I could put as a back-up??

2) What subjects do you do and what do you think you will get at the end of this AS year?

I'm currently studying: Psychology, Biology, Geography and Politics. (hoping to get A's, likely to get a mixture of A's and B's)

Unsure as to the specific area of psychology I want to specialize into as yet. I would like to do a masters in the chosen field after my degree, then maybe work an assistant psychologist for two years before becoming one in my own right!
    This is a really good website page my teacher told be about - it gives detailed information on everything pschology (especially good for looking at job prospects/routes into psychogy) :http://careers.bps.org.uk/

4) GCSE grades?

A* - Geography and R.E
    A - Triple Science, Eng lit, Eng lang, German
    C - P.E
    DISTINCTION - Textiles

I haven't planned that far ahead! Possibly teaching or other jobs involving working with kids.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doctordee)
    4) GCSE grades?
    1. I'm currently looking, and going to open days, at: Sheffield, Sheffield Hallam, Huddersfield, Northumbria, Nottingham, York and Lancaster.
    2. Psychology, Sociology, Geography and Biology. I'm predicted at least all A's but according to my teachers/current results, probably something like A*, A*/A, A/B and C
    3. Hopefully something in forensics- criminal profiling.
    4. Biology A*, Physics A*, R.E A*, Maths A, English A, English Lit A, Chemistry A and IT Diploma(7 GCSE's) A.
    5. I don't wanna think about that. I'll make it work hah.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously i'll need a masters and perhaps a phd.

ReputationRep:
    I forgot Spanish (A) on my gcse list as well. Damn this app not letting you edit!

ReputationRep:
    1) The favourites that I've seen so far are Leeds (because of the industrial year), Sheffield and York (bit of an aspirational one as my grade's aren't quite there). Also thinking about Southampton and Sussex.
    2) I'm taking Psychology, German and English lit at A2 and hoping for AAA but maybe AAB, too soon to tell really. I took biology at AS but REALLY didn't like it, and will take General Studies A2 next year.
    3) Something in research or clinical psychology, I think it'll become a lot clearer what I'm interested in once I get to uni.
    4) A* German, Maths and History, Distinction* Hospitality, Distinction in ICT and A in English Lit, English Lang, Biology, Chemistry and Physics (think I might've reached my peak aged 16 haha)
    5) Scary question. Um, I think I would take a year out and volunteer for something in the area, there's a Mind charity office near where I live so maybe there. If the subject as a whole didn't work out, like I failed my A2 completely and hated it, maybe Linguistics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pak1994)
    I applied this year (for 2013 entry), so if anyone has any questions about applications then feel free to ask.
    Could I ask what kind of experience you had when you applied (Volunteering etc.)? I live in the middle of nowhere so it's quite hard for me to volunteer anywhere but I'm worried my personal statement will look a bit uninterested if I haven't done anything?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jm925)
    Could I ask what kind of experience you had when you applied (Volunteering etc.)? I live in the middle of nowhere so it's quite hard for me to volunteer anywhere but I'm worried my personal statement will look a bit uninterested if I haven't done anything?
    I didn't really have any specific experience. As part of my year 10 work experience I worked in a nursery, and I volunteer at a Saturday school. This was only really in my last paragraph (extra curricular activities). Due to the fact that it is very difficult to find work experience related to Psychology they won't expect any.
    The most important thing is that you show that you are passionate about the course, and the best way to do this is to talk about any reading that you have done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pak1994)
    I didn't really have any specific experience. As part of my year 10 work experience I worked in a nursery, and I volunteer at a Saturday school. This was only really in my last paragraph (extra curricular activities). Due to the fact that it is very difficult to find work experience related to Psychology they won't expect any.
    The most important thing is that you show that you are passionate about the course, and the best way to do this is to talk about any reading that you have done.
    Yeah I'm finding that - but have done some things:

Helping at a summer school as a group leader for about 5 years and returning this year as an art assistant
    Volunteering at a local hospital emergency assessment unit/ward but not the medical side and obviously a lack of psychology...
    Hoping to contact an old peoples' home (is it fine to call them that?!) in the summer but probably won't carry that on for too long as want to focus on my studies - my grades need me to concentrate, this year I've been doing too much music stuff!

Did you do a lot of reading then before you applied to uni?
    A response from a different thread I started talked about getting the psychologist - would you agree the fee is worth it?

Thanks,
    Listener15

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Listener15)
    Yeah I'm finding that - but have done some things:

Helping at a summer school as a group leader for about 5 years and returning this year as an art assistant
    Volunteering at a local hospital emergency assessment unit/ward but not the medical side and obviously a lack of psychology...
    Hoping to contact an old peoples' home (is it fine to call them that?!) in the summer but probably won't carry that on for too long as want to focus on my studies - my grades need me to concentrate, this year I've been doing too much music stuff!

Did you do a lot of reading then before you applied to uni?
    A response from a different thread I started talked about getting the psychologist - would you agree the fee is worth it?

Thanks,
    Listener15
    Sounds like you've definitely got a lot there to write about in the extra curricular part of your personal statement.
    I read quite a few books throughout year 12 and in the summer, not really for my personal statement but more because I enjoyed the books. I think I only really mentioned one in my personal statement, as it is far better to go into more detail about one or two things you have read than it is to just list a number of books.
    I have never paid for The Psychologist, so I wouldn't know (my school library had a subscription till about April last year). I might get it once I get to university, because the articles are quite interesting. They have an archive of all the previous issues online which is the main way that I read it, and you can view any over a year old for free. If there were some you were particularly interested in then you could download those individual issues. It's your choice though.

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering if anyone else is hoping to apply to a Psychology course in 2014? If so, what uni? What requirements are needed?

Im hoping to go to Lincoln uni and the requirements are BBB, which should be achievable.

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping to apply for Psychology for 2014! Not too sure where my choices will be as of yet, Lincoln is on my shortlist actually and Keele is looking pretty good to me
    I'm predicted BBB so that's what I'm looking at grade requirement wise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chlomc)
    I'm hoping to apply for Psychology for 2014! Not too sure where my choices will be as of yet, Lincoln is on my shortlist actually and Keele is looking pretty good to me
    I'm predicted BBB so that's what I'm looking at grade requirement wise.
    Will you be going to the Lincoln uni open day?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charllbowles)
    Will you be going to the Lincoln uni open day?
    Hmm probably the one at the end of September, are you?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm probably the one at the end of September, are you?
    Yeah I am, September 28th I think!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charllbowles)
    Yeah I am, September 28th I think!
    Arg its all exciting isn't it :3 Do you know what uni's you want as you other choices yet? My list is 15 universities long, is gonna be hard narrowing that down to 5...

ReputationRep:
    Arg its all exciting isn't it :3 Do you know what uni's you want as you other choices yet? My list is 15 universities long, is gonna be hard narrowing that down to 5...
    Im so excited! I only have 2 other options, royal holloway and York!
    Wow haha 15?! which ones?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 30, 2014

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
  • create my feed
  • edit my feed

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.