The Student Room Group

The Psychology Applicants for 2014 Entry Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I have met my offer for Psychology today, so if anyone has any questions about applying feel free to ask me. :smile:
Original post by pak1994
I have met my offer for Psychology today, so if anyone has any questions about applying feel free to ask me. :smile:

well done! Did you do psychology at A level?
Reply 22
Original post by charllbowles
well done! Did you do psychology at A level?

Thanks! :biggrin: Yes, I did.
Original post by pak1994
Thanks! :biggrin: Yes, I did.

I just got my AS results and I got a U in psychology :frown: I want to dark track AS as well as A2, do you think that's a bad idea?
Reply 24
I just got my AS results and I got a U in psychology :frown: I want to dark track AS as well as A2, do you think that's a bad idea?

I would get your paper back and have a look to see why you got such a low grade. With a U it would definitely be worth getting the paper remarked as well. What do you mean by 'dark track'?
Original post by pak1994
I would get your paper back and have a look to see why you got such a low grade. With a U it would definitely be worth getting the paper remarked as well. What do you mean by 'dark track'?

The low grade was because of my teacher, over half the class got U's. and I meant fast track :') as in do an AS psychology class as well as an A2 class
Reply 26
The low grade was because of my teacher, over half the class got U's. and I meant fast track :') as in do an AS psychology class as well as an A2 class

That's really a shame then. I know what you meant though, if I had done what my teachers said I would definitely not have got an A. By looking at examiners reports (for the first time ever, so I was so lucky) I found out that lots of what they ticked in essays actually wasn't liked by examiners and it specifically said that they weren't marking points! Ahh, makes more sense now. It could be worth doing. I would talk to someone at your school who is knowledgeable about UCAS to find out. It might also be worth emailing some admissions people for psychology at universities that you are interested in to find out whether this is okay - they are always happy to help.
It would be possible. I know quite a few people who retook both AS Psychology exams this year (some did it in January, others in June).
Hi, I am going to apply for Psychology in 2014. :smile:

My top choice is University of Birmingham and the required grades are either AAA (for those not doing sciences) or AAB (for those doing at least 1 scientific subject such as Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology or Psychology).

I booked a placement for an open day in September, rather excited! :biggrin:

My potential insurance offers might be either Aston or Nottingham Trent.

Don't want to 'intrude' or anything, but personally I'd either resit Y12 (depending on your other results) or apply for another course. As it'll be very hard to get offers from Universities to study Psychology with a grade U. Very sorry about your teacher - shouldn't be allowed to teach!
I'm thinking of having Birmingham as my top choice, but it's AAA and a possible interview for the MSci course I want to apply for, as opposed to AAB-AAA for the BSc :smile:
Reply 30
I'm thinking of applying to Birmingham for the msci course as well :smile:. My other options include Lancaster and Southampton, although my dad wants me to give Cambridge a shot. What do you guys think?
Reply 31
Original post by Soapbox1425
I'm thinking of having Birmingham as my top choice, but it's AAA and a possible interview for the MSci course I want to apply for, as opposed to AAB-AAA for the BSc :smile:

Do you think you could get AAA? If you do then there is no reason not to apply for it if you really like the course. From what I remember from the website and open day you can also transfer to the course in your first or even possibly second year as long as they had spaces and you were doing well.
Original post by YorkshireLad.
Don't want to 'intrude' or anything, but personally I'd either resit Y12 (depending on your other results) or apply for another course. As it'll be very hard to get offers from Universities to study Psychology with a grade U. Very sorry about your teacher - shouldn't be allowed to teach!

I totally agree, I've completely changed my mind on what I want to do now though, I've gone back to wanting to do a primary school teaching course and I shall be fast tracking a btec course next year as well as carrying on with my English lit and Lang at A2 and then hopefully get over 280 ucas points:smile:

I was thinking of applying for that too, although I think I'm just going to go for the straight BSc now because at the open day a student told me that it's apparently easier to transfer to the MSci later on, and there are so few places available on the MSci courses for direct undergraduate entry anyway :smile:
Original post by LeJennifleur
I was thinking of applying for that too, although I think I'm just going to go for the straight BSc now because at the open day a student told me that it's apparently easier to transfer to the MSci later on, and there are so few places available on the MSci courses for direct undergraduate entry anyway :smile:

Yeah, but the great thing is that they automatically consider you for the Bsc course if they don't give you an offer for the Msci :smile: could be worth a shot!
Original post by KingJoy
I'm thinking of applying to Birmingham for the msci course as well :smile:. My other options include Lancaster and Southampton, although my dad wants me to give Cambridge a shot. What do you guys think?

I was going to apply for cambridge, but for me it comes down to the research that they're doing at the universities because that's what I want to get involved in, and I find the neuropsychology stuff at Birmingham more interesting :smile:
Original post by pak1994
Do you think you could get AAA? If you do then there is no reason not to apply for it if you really like the course. From what I remember from the website and open day you can also transfer to the course in your first or even possibly second year as long as they had spaces and you were doing well.

I hope so yes :smile: I got 3 A's, an A* and a B this year, but the B was 3 UMS points off an A so I'm thinking of getting the coursework remarked :smile: Thanks for the advice!
Reply 37
Original post by pak1994

I got my AS results and I got an A for psychology, a B for Sociology and a D for Human Biology -_- I know I'm much more capable than a D, both exams I wasn't ready for, but I'm going to re-do Human Biology AS alongside A2, anyhow do you think with these grades and hopefully good predicted grades (AAB hopefully) I will be able to get an offer from York University for Psychology?

What grades did you get at AS also and what Universities did you get offers from? :biggrin:
Reply 38
Original post by RB136444
I got my AS results and I got an A for psychology, a B for Sociology and a D for Human Biology -_- I know I'm much more capable than a D, both exams I wasn't ready for, but I'm going to re-do Human Biology AS alongside A2, anyhow do you think with these grades and hopefully good predicted grades (AAB hopefully) I will be able to get an offer from York University for Psychology?

What grades did you get at AS also and what Universities did you get offers from? :biggrin:

If your referee was confident that you could get the grades and put this across in the reference then I would say that you have a chance. Lots of people at my school resat exams in their A2 year.
However if you wanted more accurate information then it would be worth emailing the psychology admissions tutors at York to find out from them. They are always happy to help.

I got AAAAB at AS and was predicted A*AA at A2 which is what I ended up with. I applied to, and got offers from, Oxford, Bristol, Nottingham, Sheffield and, Sussex.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, but the great thing is that they automatically consider you for the Bsc course if they don't give you an offer for the Msci :smile: could be worth a shot!

Do they?! I didn't know that, I assumed if you didn't get on the MSci that was it! Might be worth it then :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest