The Student Room Group

Please help asked to withdraw

​last week I got a surprising call from my personal tutor stating that I was being asked to withdraw from university , due to failing a module from my first year . I was getting ready to go into my final year of university. He advised me to appeal this decision .I have written an appeal to my university however there are many problems I am facing .1 . My university is in Belfast I live in England but have taken out a housing contract for my third year I have no idea what I can do about this if I can't get back into uni 2. I haven't told my parents as they will add stress to the situation I was planning to fly back to Belfast to wait for the appeal decision .3.i don't find out whether my appeal has been successfully until the end of September this could potentially go on until mid October. 4. If I don't get back in I would like to start again at a new uni however the length of the appeal process is making it tricky for me to arrange to go to another uni 5. seeing as I have completed 2 years at one institution will I have to pay for my first year at a new uni .
any help would be much appreciated I know it's a complicated situation .thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Shannon92
​last week I got a surprising call from my personal tutor stating that I was being asked to withdraw from university , due to failing a module from my first year . I was getting ready to go into my final year of university. He advised me to appeal this decision .I have written an appeal to my university however there are many problems I am facing .1 . My university is in Belfast I live in England but have taken out a housing contract for my third year I have no idea what I can do about this if I can't get back into uni 2. I haven't told my parents as they will add stress to the situation I was planning to fly back to Belfast to wait for the appeal decision .3.i don't find out whether my appeal has been successfully until the end of September this could potentially go on until mid October. 4. If I don't get back in I would like to start again at a new uni however the length of the appeal process is making it tricky for me to arrange to go to another uni 5. seeing as I have completed 2 years at one institution will I have to pay for my first year at a new uni .
any help would be much appreciated I know it's a complicated situation .thanks

Hi, I am KH94.

Welcome to TSR.

Sorry to hear about your situation.

You will not have to pay to go to a second institution as you have not completed your degree. You can do 1 degree free of charge, you have not done a full degree.

My advice would be to not appeal and just start again as (I am sorry to say) it is unlikely it will land in your favour.

Good luck.

Regards,
KH94 - TSR Respected Member
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
I've been told student finance only support you for 4 years in total and I've used two of those years which is my worry . My personal tutor has encouraged my appeal and given me his full support so I'd feel regretful if I didn't try especially as I have my housing contract over there which is a problem .
Sorry to hear about this, I'd definitely appeal it, with your tutor's support you will have a chance. As far as I know, student finance provides funding for the course + 1 year (so, for a typical three year degree, you could drop out of one in the first year and still be fully funded for a second degree, but after 2 years of funding, they would ask you to pay for the first year of a second three-year degree). Would you have to start year 3 during your appeal? If you were to start year 3 (even if you didn't complete it) this might add another year to your count - I'd check this with student finance before registering for 3rd year if you do have to do so during your appeal.

Have the university given a reason why they have taken until now to ask you to withdraw, when the module in question was obviously failed more than a year ago? Surely it shouldn't take that long to tell you this, it seems absurd that they're messing you about now and have wasted more than a year of your time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending