The Student Room Group

Want to study for PhD/Resit at Undergraduate level

Thank you for your comments. Your comments are helpful but I'm struggling with making a decision. I secured 80% and above in all my subjects except one where I secured 62%--not a Fail. So I easily graduate with a 2.1. This particular subject was badly taught and the teaching was not good. A formal complaint was made to the university. I worked really hard for a First and want a First and it seems snatched from me through no fault of my own. Given the results that I got for all my other subjects, on an exceptional basis, the university will allow me and one other student only to take this particular subject again. So I do the course work and sit the exam in April/May next year. Problem is I want to apply for the combined Masters/PhD at places like Imperial and Cambridge. Is it an advantage having a First. Should I take the University's offer and get a First? Should I forget about this and accept a 2.1-or fight to get what I deserve and worked for? Can I apply for a PhD program now based on predicted grades? Not sure how the resit would appear on the transcript. Will it show that I sat all my subjects in my final year and then repeated one subject? Really worred and don't know what decision to make,
I would say a first is ALWAYS better than a 2:1, resit or no resit. However, if you're worried you should e-mail Imperial and Cambridge.

Out of interest, if you got 80%+ in all your subjects and 62% in one, and averaged a 2:1, that implies the 62 subject was weighted more than half your degree? Or do you have some kind of 'minimum individual paper' rule? (This is relevant, because if you're resitting half the year it's different to one module).
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
By combined Masters/PhD, are you talking about doctoral training centres?
Reply 3
My aim is research. My degree is in Chemical and Molecular Biology. I want to study for the 4 year doctoral program which includes the Masters.
Reply 4
Original post by elizap
My aim is research. My degree is in Chemical and Molecular Biology. I want to study for the 4 year doctoral program which includes the Masters.

Kerch: What are doctoral training centers? Is that an alternative? My aim is Imperial, Manchester, Cambridge Universities?
Reply 5
Original post by elizap
Kerch: What are doctoral training centers? Is that an alternative? My aim is Imperial, Manchester, Cambridge Universities?

A doctoral training centre is a place where you can do some kind of masters (MSc or MRes) followed by a PhD. Full funding is available for UK students, even for the masters year.

Imperial College has the following:

Chemical Biology
Plastic Electronics
Theory and Simulation of Materials
Controlled Quantum Dynamics

They usually require a 2:1 in your previous degree (but Theory and Simulation of Materials requires a first).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending