The Student Room Group

CUKAS Application 2014

Hi,

Thought I'd start a CUKAS thread for 2014 applications.
The deadline's really close and I was just wondering how people are getting along with their applications, audition preparation etc.

I'm a Soprano and I'm applying to RAM, RSC, Guildhall and Trinity.
I'm also applying for a few unis.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey :smile: I'm a violinist, applying for RCS, RNCM, and Trinity. Only sent my application off the other day, its all getting real now! how's your preparation going?
Reply 2
I'm a saxophonist, going for RNCM, RCS, RAM, RWCMD, Birmingham and Trinity :smile: I want to apply for some unis as well, but I don't know which ones will take me with my grades (ACCC plus an EPQ A grade). Does anyone have any ideas?
Reply 3
I'm an actress and I'm going for RCS and RWCMD! I'm just waiting on getting the references from my lecturers and then I can finally send my application off!

Are you all ready for the auditions?
Reply 4
Best of luck guys! I personally do not feel read for the auditions at all, I didn't start learning my pieces early enough :frown: am also finding practising quite stressful but trying to stay positive! what about you guys, are you ready? Whereabouts where you thinking for uni Anonymouso?
Original post by Anonymouso
I'm a saxophonist, going for RNCM, RCS, RAM, RWCMD, Birmingham and Trinity :smile: I want to apply for some unis as well, but I don't know which ones will take me with my grades (ACCC plus an EPQ A grade). Does anyone have any ideas?

Hey Im a saxophonist too going for RCS, RNCM, Birmingham and RWCMD. :smile: What is the repertoire you'll be playing at auditions?
Original post by Blackbird_
Hey :smile: I'm a violinist, applying for RCS, RNCM, and Trinity. Only sent my application off the other day, its all getting real now! how's your preparation going?

Yeh its really real. My preparation's going okay. I'm just worried about how my nerves will affect me on the day.

If you look on this league table you can see the different entry requirements from there.
http://www.theguardian.com/education/table/2013/jun/04/university-guide-music
Reply 8
Original post by ChocolateLover94
Yeh its really real. My preparation's going okay. I'm just worried about how my nerves will affect me on the day.
I'm so scared lol! But I'm trying to remind myself that "anything you can imagine you can achieve" and all that. Snap, my nerves often get the better of me but I'm trying creative visualisation and that seems to be helping :smile: have you received any audition dates?
Reply 9
Original post by ChocolateLover94
If you look on this league table you can see the different entry requirements from there.
http://www.theguardian.com/education/table/2013/jun/04/university-guide-music

Thanks, that's really helpful :smile:

Original post by Blackbird_
Best of luck guys! I personally do not feel read for the auditions at all, I didn't start learning my pieces early enough :frown: am also finding practising quite stressful but trying to stay positive! what about you guys, are you ready? Whereabouts where you thinking for uni Anonymouso?

I'm currently liking the look of Chichester and Oxford Brookes, they both have pretty good courses

Original post by JohnAnthony15
Hey Im a saxophonist too going for RCS, RNCM, Birmingham and RWCMD. :smile: What is the repertoire you'll be playing at auditions?

Hot-Sonate by Erwin Schulhoff and excerpts from Sonata and Concerto for alto sax by Paul Creston. What are you performing? I got my audition date through for RCS the other day, it feels really weird!
Thanks, that's really helpful :smile:

I'm currently liking the look of Chichester and Oxford Brookes, they both have pretty good courses

Hot-Sonate by Erwin Schulhoff and excerpts from Sonata and Concerto for alto sax by Paul Creston. What are you performing? I got my audition date through for RCS the other day, it feels really weird!

Thats a really good program! I love playing the Creston Sonata, it's one of my favorite pieces.

I'm also going to be playing Erwin Schulhoff's Hot Sonate mvt 1 and 2. Are you playing both aswell? The other piece im playing is Ida Gotkovsky's Brillance, again mvts 1 and 2. When is your RCS date and time mines is 13th of November.
Reply 11
Thats a really good program! I love playing the Creston Sonata, it's one of my favorite pieces.

I'm also going to be playing Erwin Schulhoff's Hot Sonate mvt 1 and 2. Are you playing both aswell? The other piece im playing is Ida Gotkovsky's Brillance, again mvts 1 and 2. When is your RCS date and time mines is 13th of November.

Thanks :smile: yes I am, I thought that seeing as ABRSM count both mvts as one piece it made sense to do both as one piece for my auditions. Mine's also 13th of November, at 12.00. What time is yours?
Thanks :smile: yes I am, I thought that seeing as ABRSM count both mvts as one piece it made sense to do both as one piece for my auditions. Mine's also 13th of November, at 12.00. What time is yours?

My audition is at 10.00. What do you mean when you say you will play excerpts from the Creston pieces?
Reply 13
My audition is at 10.00. What do you mean when you say you will play excerpts from the Creston pieces?

I'm doing the first part of mvt 1 of sonata and the first part of mvt 2 of the concerto
I'm doing the first part of mvt 1 of sonata and the first part of mvt 2 of the concerto

Sounds Great! :smile: In the concerto is it basically up until the fast section of the 2nd you are doing?
Where is your first choice if you get in?
Hello :smile:
I'm a tenor horn player applying to rncm and rwcmd.
Reply 16
Sounds Great! :smile: In the concerto is it basically up until the fast section of the 2nd you are doing?
Where is your first choice if you get in?

Pretty much, I'm stopping about a bar and a half after the fast bit. The Northern's my favourite one, what about you?
Pretty much, I'm stopping about a bar and a half after the fast bit. The Northern's my favourite one, what about you?

Yeah thats about where the natural cut off is haha :smile: Well being Scottish RCS is my first choice and then Northern!
Reply 18
Yeah thats about where the natural cut off is haha :smile: Well being Scottish RCS is my first choice and then Northern!

Haha fair enough! Whereabouts in Scotland are you from then? I'm from Kent, so apart from the London ones, they're all pretty far afield for me!
Haha fair enough! Whereabouts in Scotland are you from then? I'm from Kent, so apart from the London ones, they're all pretty far afield for me!

I live in Glasgow haha! :smile: Im really looking forward to the auditions now haha just practicing everyday! How long do you practice for a day?

Quick Reply

Latest