The Student Room Group

A2 Maths - aiming for A*

Hi, I'm just starting my A2s and I've been predicted an A* in maths for the end of the year. Last year I got an A overall in maths, C1, 85%, C2 98% and M1 67% [M1 was swapped with D1, I got 84% in that, M1 was sat in further maths].

So, basically I'm asking, how do you get an A* in maths? Tips/advice from A* students would be much appreciated!

Scroll to see replies

You get A* from getting A overall (480/600) and 90% over the C3 and C4 units (180/200)

For me, I learnt the methods in class and if I missed lessons which I did for interveiws/admissions tests etc, I re-learnt them using examsolutions.net.

I then perfected my technique and practiced for curveball questions using all of the past papers for my exam board (MEI) and then other exam boars when I had used them all up. When I got questions on a paper wrong, I sat the paper again afterwards and made sure I got the questions I'd previously got wrong, right :smile:
Hey there,

I know this is not an answer but would appreciate an answer of you :smile: Basically, I am a maths student (Now doing AS- Maths and Further Maths). I did C1 in Year 11, got full UMS. However, because my school has decided to change exam board after my exam (from Edexcel to MEI) I need to re do. How did you manage with all the modules and how did you revise? Did you self teach as well?
Reply 3
For me it all came down to practice, practice, practice. Your C2 mark is a good indicator that you are definitely capable of achieving an A*. As long as you keep working hard this year, make sure you understand everything as you're being taught it. Ask your teachers if you struggle, it's easier to sort out problems as they occur, then when you're trying to revise in May. But don't stress yourself out over things during the year. Sometimes some concepts take a while to sink in, just keep trying.

My revision consisted of constant exam paper practice. I did every single one I could get hold of, even if they weren't from my exam board. I made sure I could do all the problems in my textbooks too.

Keep up the good work and I'm sure you'll get your grades :smile: Your teachers clearly believe you are capable of the A*
Original post by ssargithan
Hey there,

I know this is not an answer but would appreciate an answer of you :smile: Basically, I am a maths student (Now doing AS- Maths and Further Maths). I did C1 in Year 11, got full UMS. However, because my school has decided to change exam board after my exam (from Edexcel to MEI) I need to re do. How did you manage with all the modules and how did you revise? Did you self teach as well?

Did you mean you have to resit the exams? That doesn't seem quite right, I thought when moving exam boards you could just pick up where you left off from? :confused:

See my above post for my "how to revise" answer. As to whether or not I self taught, i usually learnt the methods on examsolutions.net prior to the lessons on that topic so I had a clear idea of what was being taught. I did this because I'm not a natural mathematician and new ideas confused me (like when I started differentiation I got utterly confused by the whole dy/dx thing).

Hope I helped!
Original post by AspiringGenius
Did you mean you have to resit the exams? That doesn't seem quite right, I thought when moving exam boards you could just pick up where you left off from? :confused:

See my above post for my "how to revise" answer. As to whether or not I self taught, i usually learnt the methods on examsolutions.net prior to the lessons on that topic so I had a clear idea of what was being taught. I did this because I'm not a natural mathematician and new ideas confused me (like when I started differentiation I got utterly confused by the whole dy/dx thing).

Hope I helped!

Same here, especially when I had to self teach it (I had no teacher). And I thought that as well but you cannot transfer a single module :/
Original post by j_ken
Hi, I'm just starting my A2s and I've been predicted an A* in maths for the end of the year. Last year I got an A overall in maths, C1, 85%, C2 98% and M1 67% [M1 was swapped with D1, I got 84% in that, M1 was sat in further maths].

So, basically I'm asking, how do you get an A* in maths? Tips/advice from A* students would be much appreciated!

Well first of all those AS results are solid, your core units average over 90% which is a good start!

I got an A* despite not being a complete "natural" in the subject. But I did it the hard way, I did ever single question in the whole textbook and all of the papers going through the markschemes like a hawk.

By the times you get to the past papers you should be scoring fairly high still, it's much less stressful than using them as revision!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by j_ken

Sorry, this is completely unrelated to your question, but how come you did worse in M1 than your other modules? I've got to decide whether to do M1 or D1 by tomorrow, that's all
Original post by MrSupernova
Sorry, this is completely unrelated to your question, but how come you did worse in M1 than your other modules? I've got to decide whether to do M1 or D1 by tomorrow, that's all

Some people just don't get on with the Mechanics ideas very well. Luckily I was someone who got on very well (studying AS Physics alongside M1 helped significantly due to mechanics content) but I know others who were very good at maths who dropped in M1. It's the same for any set fo applied units really- I know people who found D1 difficult, S1 etc. M1 imo is a little bit harder than Stats but if you work at it, there's no reason you can't do as well. Don't know about D1 I'm afraid.
Same here, especially when I had to self teach it (I had no teacher). And I thought that as well but you cannot transfer a single module :/

ahh that's annoying. Well I don;t think you'll find it too bad seeing as you have already learnt the units. Have you contacted the exam board to be sure?

Just make sure you're doing occasional past papers to keep your maths up and learn any techniques which don;t get taught in Edexcel AS. It's going to be more annoying sitting all the exams and the stress than actually learning new techniques and preparing for the exams.
Reply 10
Some people just don't get on with the Mechanics ideas very well. Luckily I was someone who got on very well (studying AS Physics alongside M1 helped significantly due to mechanics content) but I know others who were very good at maths who dropped in M1. It's the same for any set fo applied units really- I know people who found D1 difficult, S1 etc. M1 imo is a little bit harder than Stats but if you work at it, there's no reason you can't do as well. Don't know about D1 I'm afraid.

what is similar between physics AS and M1?
ahh that's annoying. Well I don;t think you'll find it too bad seeing as you have already learnt the units. Have you contacted the exam board to be sure?

Just make sure you're doing occasional past papers to keep your maths up and learn any techniques which don;t get taught in Edexcel AS. It's going to be more annoying sitting all the exams and the stress than actually learning new techniques and preparing for the exams.

I have read the ofqual transferring conditions and says only full cashed in are allowed to be transferred. Did you do MEI or edexcel?

So basically, if I enjoyed and was good at the mechanics in AS physics, I should be fine with M1? I understand the content will be harder and in more depth, obviously
Tips?

Don't believe the tips have to come from A* students
Learn each topic not just algorithms and tricks
Do extension questions
Don't believe GCSE topics not directly related to A Level maths are no longer valid
Don't rely on past papers as a measure of what you will score in any given exam
Never think 'Oh I hope that doesn't come up' just face your demons
By old A Level textbooks and do some questions from them

I am making a video series for my pupils on extension questions at AS and A2 with the idea they think about topics instead of plug and chugging.
So basically, if I enjoyed and was good at the mechanics in AS physics, I should be fine with M1? I understand the content will be harder and in more depth, obviously

Its hard to say whether you will be fine or not.
You will though have a good base to work off.
Good luck with your exams :smile:
Original post by JPL9457
what is similar between physics AS and M1?

Well in Unit2 Physics we covered mechanics including vectors, falling forces, use of trigonometry and forces, motion, trajectories etc. The only part of my M1 course which was not covered in AS Physics was pulleys.

I have read the ofqual transferring conditions and says only full cashed in are allowed to be transferred. Did you do MEI or edexcel?

Very few schools don't cash in units. I did MEI although i have no experience of moving exam boards.

I can't say you will be fine, but if you like the mechanics in AS Physics and was good at it, I should think that'd be a good base to start from.
A crazy amount of past papers! (the further maths A2 - further pure modules make C3 and C4 look ridiculously easy in comparison)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
You're obviously good enough at maths to achieve an A*. I managed to get an A*, and I only scored 80 on C2. When revising C3/C4, I did all of the past papers from 2005-2012 twice, and some of them three times. I find it the best way to revise, and it's not as mundane as doing questions out of books or reading your notes. I managed to get 97 in C3, and 95 in C4 with this as the bulk of my revision.

Just make sure you don't get complacent because you did so well in C2. Remember you don't have the opportunity to resit if you don't do as well as you want! Good luck!
Hi, im currently doing A2 maths and got a B overall for AS - 233 ums.
i aiming for an A* at the end of year 13 and wanted to know whether thats possible? How many ums is required for A*. I know that 480 is an A.

Also, what would it mean; how much would i need in C3, C4 and S2?

thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 19
I have a question about being predicted A*. I achieved 90% average across the Core Modules at AS, but a substandard performance in S1 brought my average down below 90%.

I understand that the predictions are based on my teachers thoughts, but do you think I would have a chance of getting an A*? Since, getting an A* requires 90% across C3 and C4, and I met this for C1 and C2...

Quick Reply

Latest