My mate needs help and I can't offer it!!!! Watch

This discussion is closed.
kissmequick
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
My mate comes from an asian family and is "unfairly" treated, beaten etc etc same old story but recently his mum had decided that on his birthday in a month or so she's going to evict him as it is his 16th he is going into higher education and apparently she's entitled to dump him. Divorced parents dad wants no part of it, he has come to me asking what he should do and to be honest I have no bloody idea as he is not old enough to get his own place let alone have the money to. Anyone know in depth any possibile solutions?
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Hmm, whats the legal right of the child? Surely it is until 18?
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by kissmequick)
My mate comes from an asian family and is "unfairly" treated, beaten etc etc same old story but recently his mum had decided that on his birthday in a month or so she's going to evict him as it is his 16th he is going into higher education and apparently she's entitled to dump him. Divorced parents dad wants no part of it, he has come to me asking what he should do and to be honest I have no bloody idea as he is not old enough to get his own place let alone have the money to. Anyone know in depth any possibile solutions?
social services or a solicitor provided by legal aid
kissmequick
Rep:
?
(Original post by 2776)
Hmm, whats the legal right of the child? Surely it is until 18?
nope apparently it's sixteen they can legally leave home and become independant but for my mate he has no choice kinda feel sorry for him, so far his options look like social services
_meiko_
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
no way! that's terrible! how is he gonna make it? unless he gets a part time job and a cheap room sharing a house... that's so unfair! is she really entitled to dump him? maybe not in uk, maybe he should go to the citizen info centre and ask for his rights and seek free solicitor's help. that's all i can think on...
kissmequick
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kurdt Morello)
social services or a solicitor provided by legal aid
I don't think he'd ever sue he loves them too much for some reason despite what they do to him.
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
nope apparently it's sixteen they can legally leave home and become independant but for my mate he has no choice kinda feel sorry for him, so far his options look like social services
if he has someone to represent him he can be entitled to child support - still a minor until 18
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I don't think he'd ever sue he loves them too much for some reason despite what they do to him.
no not sue as such - just to get what he is legally entitled to from his parents
kissmequick
Rep:
?
(Original post by _meiko_)
no way! that's terrible! how is he gonna make it? unless he gets a part time job and a cheap room sharing a house... that's so unfair! is she really entitled to dump him? maybe not in uk, maybe he should go to the citizen info centre and ask for his rights and seek free solicitor's help. that's all i can think on...
He probs would try and get a house but he's legally gotta be 18 the worst bit is he's a frigging genius he gos to the royal grammar school in high wycombe which is like the joint first school in the country with dr chandlers
_meiko_
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
yeah, but he's not gonna live in the street, right? even if he loves them so much he's still in need of some kind of help
kissmequick
Rep:
?
if he has someone to represent him he can be entitled to child support - still a minor until 18
For some reason he'd never do that to them and I think they are no longer obliged after 16 apart from if he's arrested which they're responsible for until 18
Xenon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
For some reason he'd never do that to them and I think they are no longer obliged after 16 apart from if he's arrested which they're responsible for until 18
That's rubbish (the law I mean)! :mad:
kissmequick
Rep:
?
(Original post by _meiko_)
yeah, but he's not gonna live in the street, right? even if he loves them so much he's still in need of some kind of help
which is wy he has come to me he doesn't want it public *guess im not helping* but he wants some help and I need to know what to say, I'm honestly bamboozled by the situation his mum is fully serious about this.
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
hmm - he might have to seek some support from a relative or something - or else just try to reason with his parents through a third party like his school teachers or someone
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Xenon)
the law is an ass (and i am going into it at uni!)
waiting2smile
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Xenon)
I know...seeing this thread i have my world sadness back (welttraurigkeit)
kissmequick
Rep:
?
hmm - he might have to seek some support from a relative or something - or else just try to reason with his parents through a third party like his school teachers or someone
I've suggested a lot of this he wants no form of "pain or unease" brought upon the family and even though his nans willing to have him open arms his mum told her otherwise because she said he would use her (absolute lie* I dunno I just think she wants to see him fail and be "independant" and apparently homeless anyway I'm off out tonight I'll view all the opinions tomorrow thanks for trying guys and guys I'm ssure he'd appreciate it as so do i.
Xenon
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I've suggested a lot of this he wants no form of "pain or unease" brought upon the family and even though his nans willing to have him open arms his mum told her otherwise because she said he would use her (absolute lie* I dunno I just think she wants to see him fail and be "independant" and apparently homeless anyway I'm off out tonight I'll view all the opinions tomorrow thanks for trying guys and guys I'm ssure he'd appreciate it as so do i.
Aaarrrggghhh! Some people say that they can't wait to leave home when they go to uni, but at least they have a home to come back to. Isn't this like his mother's disowning him or something?
young_free
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

If they beat him and stuff why would he even want to stay- what about a hostel?
Xenon
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by young_free)
If they beat him and stuff why would he even want to stay- what about a hostel?
Isn't that what happens to some people. From what I've seen on tv (dunno if it's true or not), they still love their parents, and feel loyalty towards them, no matte what. They think that there's some reason why their parents behave like this and maybe they might change. I might be totally wrong, but maybe that's how he feels.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (72)
17.65%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (259)
63.48%
Not yet but I am planning to (20)
4.9%
Not yet but I might (57)
13.97%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise