Turn on thread page Beta

Which Universities Have The Best Surroundings? watch

ReputationRep:
    I've seen a lot of discussions about the aesthetics of university surroundings when people are choosing which institutions to apply to or accept offers from. I've been to see Bath, Birmingham, Cambridge, Nottingham, Southampton, UCL, Warwick and York. With the exception of Cambridge, I wouldn't have said that any of them are particularly pretty. Which universities in the UK would you say have the best surroundings? I'm referring to the actual university areas/campuses rather than the towns/cities they are situated within or closest to.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously Oxford is amazing (*looks out of window and sighs*). Durham is quite nice, but I guess it depends what you're looking for. Leeds is also a nice campus.

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham has a beutiful campus! Didn't you have a proper walk around?

ReputationRep:
    I think Salford is very odd as the views are so mixed.

http://www.robertson-i.co.uk/salford/salford1.jpg

http://www.robertson-i.co.uk/salford/salford2.jpg

http://www.robertson-i.co.uk/salford/salford3.jpg

http://www.robertson-i.co.uk/salford/salford4.jpg

ReputationRep:
    All this are taken on the outside of the campus which makes it even odder, one side looks like countryside the other is very innercity.

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham and Exeter are nice.

ReputationRep:
    Salford is hardly the idyll of any sane individual lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sami_ThePeelite)
    Salford is hardly the idyll of any sane individual lol
    The quays can be pretty awesome I guess. I think most Manchester University students get to look out of their window and see the number 42 bus going past don't they?

I think the prettiest I've seen is Cambridge obviously, followed by Oxford, then the obvious Durham. York isn't pretty in the same way as those three, but it seems like a very 'pleasent' relaxing atmosphere to be in, unlike Warwick/Bath whcih seem a bit unsettled to me. Manchester is not idyllic in any sense, but the architecture of the victoria university is nicer than most.

ReputationRep:
    The Salford campus is prettier than Manchester as its set in a large park and by the Irwell Valey, is just a shame all that is in Salford. You certainly cannot smell all the diesel from the Magic Buses in Salford though.

Lancaster has a pretty campus but the buildings are very dull.

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge is gorgeous. I can't remember anywhere being less grey. Apart from Jafflong, Bangladesh, and there's no uni there...

ReputationRep:
    hehehehe sorry - i cannot remove the salford of 7/8 years ago from my mind - its impossible lol

ReputationRep:
    St Andrews

ReputationRep:
    What to go, to take the pictures on a *****y weather day. I imagine those tree ones look nicer in the spring/summer.

ReputationRep:
    durham is beautiful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James_W)
    What to go, to take the pictures on a *****y weather day. I imagine those tree ones look nicer in the spring/summer.
    Yeah I took them randomly, I happened to have my camera with me and I was on campus so I thought it would be a good idea to take some pictures.

ReputationRep:
    It depends what you look for in surroundings. Its undeniable that Oxford, Cambridge and Durham have some of the most beautiful greenery in the UK. However, after spending a week in Oxford I couldn't help but feel slightly bored by it all. I personally need exciting, busy surroundings in order to truely enjoy myself. Thats why for me personally the Manchester Uni and any of the central London uni's have the best surroundings.

ReputationRep:
    Keele is in a nice location, rolling countryside and its quite quiet away from the main town which is only a bus ride away.

Also Liverpool has some pretty architecture, and is close to the Mersey which is a plus, also some nice park areas as well.

ReputationRep:
    Without doubt it would be Oxford or Cambridge just because of the medieval age of the buildings and architecture in general. It depends what you're looking for in terms of city centre or campus, but Keele is the nicest campus

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joyabbott)
    Nottingham has a beutiful campus! Didn't you have a proper walk around?

see you cant accept people speaking the truth about the grey city

back to the question in hand, the best one is cambridge(depending on what college u go to

i would have thought bath has a nice campus as it s a very pretty city

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andyreid)
    see you cant accept people speaking the truth about the grey city

back to the question in hand, the best one is cambridge(depending on what college u go to

i would have thought bath has a nice campus as it s a very pretty city
    andy what uni are you at now? cus you always say bad things about nottingham and not 1 good thing bout it? :confused:

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.