Turn on thread page Beta

Which Universities Have The Best Surroundings? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sami_ThePeelite)
    Birmingham looks nice from the prospectus lol, but i don't know - as i haven't been there yet
    The Campus is nice with really impressive buildings, the tower in the middle etc. The surrounding area isn't stunning but areas like Moseley where lots of students live are really cool areas, would really like to live there as a student if I hadn't decided to move away from home. Birmingham city centre is close and is really nice, not grey at all anymore, really vibrant, great shops clubs etc. Much like Manchester, Liverpool etc. I have nothing but good things to say about B'ham Uni (and thats rare).

ReputationRep:
    Oxford was beautiful.....especially Queens! i also like Bath's city!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by planecrazy)
    Exeter uni campus is really nice but the city itself is a total dump plus its got the worst polution levels in britain!!!
    LIES

The city rules. Plenty to do, easy to get around, low crime, wtc. What's wrong with it ?

ReputationRep:
    LSE & Imperial got the "best surroundings" Don't u just love all of that GREY buildings...;p

ReputationRep:
    Out of the six that I've visited I would say that Cambridge, Notts, Warwick and Birmingham are all very nice. Cam because it's an old town and has a kind of special feel to it. Notts and Warwick because they've got really open, green campuses and Birm coz some of the buildings seemed nice and they had a really nice lake.

East Anglia was ok, part of it was a concrete jungle but there are other parts like the law school that Elizabeth Fry lived in and the greenery around the rest of the uni which is really nice. (However, my friend does say that it reminded her of a farm!)

The only uni I visited which I didn't like was Oxford Brookes which just didn't seem open or green and some of the buildings reminded me of part of my school which looks horrendous.

I guess its a personal thing which uni you like the look of though.

ReputationRep:
    bath
    oxford
    cambridge
    durham

ReputationRep:
    of the ones i've visited...
    st andrews - beautiful place, probably the most pretty by a long way
    bangor - also very pretty
    edinburgh - a bit too high rise tower block uni buildings but still cool
    york - horrific! 1960's council-flat type things that look like crack houses and a huge man made lake that smells of ****!
    bath - very nice
    oxford - lovely architecture but wasn't too keen to be honest and was a bit dissapointed when i went their for interview.

ReputationRep:
    York, Oxford or Cambridge

ReputationRep:
    Hi Peeps,

The University of Surrey Roehampton (Roehampton Lane site) in South-West London is extremely pretty. It's definately the most beautiful univeristy campus I've been too. I thought it was prettier than even Oxford Uni!! If you're ever in London, it's worth having a look around!

ReputationRep:
    Im at Exeter and its always being dubbed one the most beautiful campus in the UK - though i went to oxford brookes and oxford is an amazing city

ReputationRep:
    i agree winifred ....went to open day at roehampton and was realy impressed! fountains n statues n all that jazz...very nice. and hav an offer from ther! HURRAH!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maddock)
    LIES

The city rules. Plenty to do, easy to get around, low crime, wtc. What's wrong with it ?
    agreed - to some extent. there are really scabby areas and attractive areas (like most places). It is easy to get around, but it does have a hardcore minimal pikey population that hangaround. but the streatham campus is amazing, even if you need your hiking boots to get round it all!

ReputationRep:
    Sussex is in the middle of the south downs ... the campus has literally just been plonked in between surorunding hills. Twenty seconds from my house on campus I can be on them! And Brighton centre (about 20 mins on the bus) is lovely, nothing more serene than the pier and beach at sunset.

ReputationRep:
    Durham is goergous. Apart from the concrete palace of dreams that is the union. The bailey colleges though and many of the departments are in historic buildings. University College is in a friggin castle...says it all really, and graduation and stuff is in the Cathedral. Plus the city itself is very beautiful.

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.