I could lose my new job if previous employer doesn't write a reference soon

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
As the title says.
I'm waiting to start a new job now but they won't give me a start date until my previous employer provides them with a reference. It's been such a nightmare. I left my previous job a month ago to do some volunteering before I started my new one. I've had my CRB check back and now all they need is the reference then I can start. They sent the reference forms out a month ago but my old manager claimed not to have received them, so they sent them again but my old manager was on holiday for two weeks. She's finally back and I've phoned twice to ask her to fill the forms in and she puts other members of staff on the phone to say she's busy and 'has had it up to here' and she'll do it when she can get a chance. I've tried explaining how urgent it is, but she doesn't listen.
My new employer is getting impatient now as they want me to start. But this situation is out of my control. I can't force my old manager to write them, she says she will when she has time but that could be another week even. I'm so worried that my new employer is going to change their mind about employing me because the job was 'subject to satisfactory CRB and references'. I've explained the situation to them but am still really worried, as I've known about the job since 31st of July.
Kazbian
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If your old manager won't do it, can someone else at your old job provide the reference? If not, can you get anyone else to provide the reference e.g. a family friend to provide a character reference or even your volunteering place (though you won't have been there long enough really).
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Kazbian)
If your old manager won't do it, can someone else at your old job provide the reference? If not, can you get anyone else to provide the reference e.g. a family friend to provide a character reference or even your volunteering place (though you won't have been there long enough really).
Well there was no manager there for a while and the new manager started when I left :/ so really it was only the 'main' supervisor who had the authority to do it because she'd been acting as a manager for months. I'm just going to keep phoning to make sure she does it because its urgent now. Hopefully the manager of the new job understands, but I don't understand why I need the reference to start the job when I already have one reference and a CRB check.. Ahh.
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Well there was no manager there for a while and the new manager started when I left :/ so really it was only the 'main' supervisor who had the authority to do it because she'd been acting as a manager for months. I'm just going to keep phoning to make sure she does it because its urgent now. Hopefully the manager of the new job understands, but I don't understand why I need the reference to start the job when I already have one reference and a CRB check.. Ahh.
It's standard practice for any new employer to ask for a reference from your last employer.

This will tell the new employer if there are any concerns with you - say because of poor time-keeping or a bad attitude or your skills and abilities did not match expectation or you behaved unprofessionally etc. etc.

If there were none, then your reference will state you are a diligent worker, takes responsibility etc. etc.

Do you know who your old manager reports to? i.e. who is her boss? Try approaching that person and explain the issue, they should be able to help you by taking up the issue with her. They may even give you a reference in lieu of your old line manager.

Also if your last employer was large enough to have a personnel department, you could ring them and explain the issue. You could ask them if they could talk to your new employer (give them the contact details) and they will provide confirmation of your old employment. As long as there is nothing untoward in your personnel file, that should be sufficient.

Good luck and hope you get the issue resolved quickly.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by uberteknik)
It's standard practice for any new employer to ask for a reference from your last employer.

This will tell the new employer if there are any concerns with you - say because of poor time-keeping or a bad attitude or your skills and abilities did not match expectation or you behaved unprofessionally etc. etc.

If there were none, then your reference will state you are a diligent worker, takes responsibility etc. etc.

Do you know who your old manager reports to? i.e. who is her boss? Try approaching that person and explain the issue, they should be able to help you by taking up the issue with her. They may even give you a reference in lieu of your old line manager.

Also if your last employer was large enough to have a personnel department, you could ring them and explain the issue. You could ask them if they could talk to your new employer (give them the contact details) and they will provide confirmation of your old employment. As long as there is nothing untoward in your personnel file, that should be sufficient.

Good luck and hope you get the issue resolved quickly.
Thanks.

Literally just had an email off the manager of new job saying she's received it and will be in touch soon about a start date Thank goodness. So relieved now. It was just ridiculous how long it was taking.
Kazbian
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thanks.

Literally just had an email off the manager of new job saying she's received it and will be in touch soon about a start date Thank goodness. So relieved now. It was just ridiculous how long it was taking.
That's brilliant! Good luck in your new job.
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thanks.

Oh, that is great news! Well done and very best wishes for your new job.
Wgray7304
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi i do feel for you as i am in the same situation. My former employer isnt doing my reference either. Just empty proimises. In the meantime i am out of work. No money coming in. I actually need 2 references. I work in care and it is so strict with references. I feel that former employers should not have this control once you have left there company .Its such an unfair system. Especially when care companys need staff as they do.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (45)
17.24%
No one else does (82)
31.42%
I'm embarrassed about my background (28)
10.73%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (88)
33.72%
We don't use a video platform (5)
1.92%
I don't have a camera (7)
2.68%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
2.3%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise