The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Do I stand a chance at history at Edinburgh?

Hey, I'm currently doing my A2's and I'm predicted A*AB with the B in biology. For as I got AABC. I've been told my personal statement is good and I'm doing an EPQ on African history if they consider that. Do you think I have a chance at getting an offer? Edinburgh is one of my riskier choices and I don't particularly want to waste a place for a university that I have no chance at.

Original post by mctruffle
Hey, I'm currently doing my A2's and I'm predicted A*AB with the B in biology. For as I got AABC. I've been told my personal statement is good and I'm doing an EPQ on African history if they consider that. Do you think I have a chance at getting an offer? Edinburgh is one of my riskier choices and I don't particularly want to waste a place for a university that I have no chance at.

Yeah, you're definitely in with a chance. You don't quite meet their "typical offer" entry requirements, but you more than meet the minimum requirements. They'll consider your application, and there are more ways to impress them than simply with academic grades - so there's no reason for you not to try if you want to go to Edinburgh. :smile:
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Yeah, you're definitely in with a chance. You don't quite meet their "typical offer" entry requirements, but you more than meet the minimum requirements. They'll consider your application, and there are more ways to impress them than simply with academic grades - so there's no reason for you not to try if you want to go to Edinburgh.

How hard is it to get an offer? Is the chance of me getting an offer very slim? I'm just worried that I may be wasting a choice with someplace where I have no chance of getting in. I have two other options which are also pretty ambitious :frown:
How hard is it to get an offer? Is the chance of me getting an offer very slim?

How long is a piece of string? Unfortunately, if Hype en Ecosse or I had a more definitive answer to those questions, we would probably be coining it working in higher education consultancy rather than posting here for free :wink: Your grades are by no means weak in Edinburgh terms (although they're not top of the pile either) - but with a decent personal statement an offer isn't improbable. But there are obviously a lot of external factors too.
Reply 4
Im going to apply to Edinburgh, its BBB minimum for History and I got AACC at AS level with A in history. I haven't been given my predicted grades yet but they're likely to predict me AAB or ABB.

I would love to come here!
Reply 5
Hi

I got predicted BBB and I'm doing an history of art EPQ, would I get an offer from Edinburgh?

<3 x
Reply 6
Original post by LETSJaM
Hi

I got predicted BBB and I'm doing an history of art EPQ, would I get an offer from Edinburgh?

<3 x

Well, my friend got A*A*A and got rejected from Edinburgh so it can be very hard! BBB is their minimum but Scottish Uni's say that those grades don't reflect the standard offers given, so AAA would be the average AAB/ABB if you sound very impressive and A*AA for others. Not sure about BBB!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iP
Reply 7
Original post by PatrickB
Well, my friend got A*A*A and got rejected from Edinburgh so it can be very hard! BBB is their minimum but Scottish Uni's say that those grades don't reflect the standard offers given, so AAA would be the average AAB/ABB if you sound very impressive and A*AA for others. Not sure about BBB!

Thanks for the info. I'd apply for History of Art not Pure History.

<3 x
Reply 8

This is really useful thank you. Would you say Edinburgh is harder to get into for history than Bristol?
Reply 9
This is really useful thank you. Would you say Edinburgh is harder to get into for history than Bristol?

Edinburgh and Bristol are two great universities. Apply to which one has the best course for you and the place that feels like a great place to live your student days in. At that level both universities are going to be competitive: you'll need AAA probably for both of them. Sometimes Bristol ask for A*AA for popular/hard courses and offers can even have 2 A*s so maybe Bristol is harder. But offers are flexible. Edinburgh say BBB as a minimum, so if you have BBB you'll be considered but most offers they'll give will be around AAA. But offers don't always equal the quality of a good uni. Some push up their offers to make them look prestigious and hard to get into so that students will firm them: you tend to firm your highest offer. So Bristol may say A*AA and one AAA, so you'll think "well, Bristol looks like it's for high-fliers" and you firm them. But not everyone plays this game; Oxford ask for AAA for example. Your choice should be the course and the university: find a course which looks great in a great city and work towards the grades they ask for. I'd be chuffed to go to either Bristol or Edinburgh! And for History quality of teaching is the only thing you need to look for; a lot of History is your own work and reading so it'll be what you make of it.

Reply 10
Edinburgh and Bristol are two great universities. Apply to which one has the best course for you and the place that feels like a great place to live your student days in. At that level both universities are going to be competitive: you'll need AAA probably for both of them. Sometimes Bristol ask for A*AA for popular/hard courses and offers can even have 2 A*s so maybe Bristol is harder. But offers are flexible. Edinburgh say BBB as a minimum, so if you have BBB you'll be considered but most offers they'll give will be around AAA. But offers don't always equal the quality of a good uni. Some push up their offers to make them look prestigious and hard to get into so that students will firm them: you tend to firm your highest offer. So Bristol may say A*AA and one AAA, so you'll think "well, Bristol looks like it's for high-fliers" and you firm them. But not everyone plays this game; Oxford ask for AAA for example. Your choice should be the course and the university: find a course which looks great in a great city and work towards the grades they ask for. I'd be chuffed to go to either Bristol or Edinburgh! And for History quality of teaching is the only thing you need to look for; a lot of History is your own work and reading so it'll be what you make of it.

This is really helpful too thanks :smile:. I prefer Edinburgh's course and I think I stand a greater chance at Edinburgh. I'm going to apply but not hold out too much hope.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending