The Student Room Group

Scottish referendum question?

Will English and Welsh students studying at Scottish universities be given the opportunity to vote in the unification referenedum. Just asking as my cousin is going to Glasgow university and wants to know if he will be eligible to vote next year for the referendum.
Original post by Hannahmay01
Will English and Welsh students studying at Scottish universities be given the opportunity to vote in the unification referenedum. Just asking as my cousin is going to Glasgow university and wants to know if he will be eligible to vote next year for the referendum.

If they're registered to vote in Scotland then they are.
I think with uni you get a postal vote to your actual home, although you could have your address at uni as your permanent address.
Is temporary residence recognised or is it permanent residence only? i.e., term time students can't vote.
Original post by Doc.Daneeka
Is temporary residence recognised or is it permanent residence only? i.e., term time students can't vote.

Depends where you're registered to vote. That tends to be where you pay (exempted) from council tax. No such thing as term time students and temporary residence when it comes to elections.

Incidentlaay, it's not just English and Welsh. There's Northern Irish, Irish, Polish, South African. If you're studying in Scotland and you're registered to vote then you can go for it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5

I like the way you wrote 'Unification referendum'. Salmond would have a heart attack if he read that...
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by meenu89
I like the way you wrote 'Unification referendum'. Salmond would have a heart attack if he read that...

I prefer it this way, although it implies that Yes would be for 'Yes Union' than 'Yes Independence'.
Reply 7
Original post by meenu89

Original post by Snagprophet
I prefer it this way, although it implies that Yes would be for 'Yes Union' than 'Yes Independence'.

It's not a unification referendum though. It's not a different way of describing the independence referendum, it's just plain wrong. It would be called a unification referendum if Scotland and the UK were distinct entities and Scotland were voting on whether to become part of, or unify, with the UK, and in no other circumstance.
Reply 8
Original post by Mechie
It's not a unification referendum though. It's not a different way of describing the independence referendum, it's just plain wrong. It would be called a unification referendum if Scotland and the UK were distinct entities and Scotland were voting on whether to become part of, or unify, with the UK, and in no other circumstance.

Yes I know it is not. I was just telling the OP that I liked the way the way they phrased it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Mechie

Calm down, dear.
Reply 10
Original post by meenu89
Yes I know it is not. I was just telling the OP that I liked the way the way they phrased it.

You like it when people call things incorrect names?
Reply 11
Original post by Mechie
You like it when people call things incorrect names?

Perhaps 'like' was the wrong word. Maybe I should have put a :biggrin: after my post indicate that I found it funny.

Calm down, dear.

This Mechie :smile:
Reply 12

The question is not entirely neutral in the fact that you voting for independence is phrased in a positive way. The question could just as easily be phrased the opposite way and mean the same thing.

But unfortunately there isn't a more neutral way to phrase it if it's going to be a yes or no question.

I think the fact that there are so many different kinds of people in Scotland and no-one can really explain who is Scottish enough to have a say in the matter is a fair indication that the SNP's flagship policy is dead on arrival.

Who gets to vote? Anyone who happens to be in the country at the time? Why?
Reply 14
Original post by MatureStudent36

Incidentlaay, it's not just English and Welsh. There's Northern Irish, Irish, Polish, South African. If you're studying in Scotland and you're registered to vote then you can go for it.

You sure about that? I know that only UK, Irish and Commonwealth citizens get to vote in general elections, I assumed the same applies here. But then again they do get to vote in Scottish Parliament elections.
Original post by Psyk
The question is not entirely neutral in the fact that you voting for independence is phrased in a positive way. The question could just as easily be phrased the opposite way and mean the same thing.

But unfortunately there isn't a more neutral way to phrase it if it's going to be a yes or no question.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending