How to Compare 'The Handmaids Tale' and 'The Road'?

Watch
IneedHelpPlz
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(The Handmaid's Tale - M. Atwood. The Road - C. McCarthy)

I was wondering if you could help me compare these two dystopian novels. I'm struggling on finding similarities and differences which I could then use to make a good essay question for my comparative essay (Eng LIT A2).

I'll take everything into to consideration! Thanks.
IneedHelpPlz
Rep:
?
is there anyone here that can help??
Slowbro93
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've moved your post here as you'll get a better response
IneedHelpPlz
Rep:
?
thanks.. really need help on this
eryn_ladkin
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
similarities in The Road and The Handmaid's Tale can be found in the themes of religion, parental love, loss of identity, etc.For example, both Atwood and McCarthy keep the real names of the man and the boy, and Offred a secret to the reader; signifying that who they are doesn't really matter... both works move the focus away from the individual, as the stories are for the benefit of a collective.Both Offred and the man get separated from their children, neither of which had a choice. Parental love is a strong bond in both of the books and arguably is what keeps the main protagonists (Offred and the man), going throughout the novel. Children are the only hope in this sense.You could also argue that the idea of a consumerist culture and the overarching rule of capitalism is evident in both texts; in the Road, the greed of man could be blamed for whatever extinction level event has occurred (overusing natural resources for example)- the coca cola bottle reemerging twice throughout the text is evident that even during what seems to be an apocalyptic scenario, the global capitalist symbol (coca cola) will still remain. Similarly in the Handmaid's tale, the richest people in society hold contraband items, such as the commander having access to the club he takes Offred to, to makeup and sexy outfits, Serena joy has access to the black market for her cigarettes etc. This same streak of corruption from the hypocritical higher class in Gilead's society was more than likely the reason for tighter controls over every aspect of society. Once again, the people in top corporate positions are able to bend the rules so that the exploitation of the lower classes remains.
Last edited by eryn_ladkin; 2 years ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (49)
29.88%
No (115)
70.12%

Watched Threads