The Student Room Group

Could I Get Into Oxford Or Cambridge?

Hello, I really want to study in a top university. Could I get into Oxford or Cambridge? I want to study Biology with Grad Med then an Environmental Science and Epidemiology PhD

My GCSE Results Are:

Maths:
Predicted, Gained:C (Resit in November 2013 for a B)
English Lang: Predicted, Gained:C
Science Core: Predicted, Gained:C
Science Additional: Predicted, Gained:B
Religious Studies: Predicted, Gained:A
Psychology: Predicted, Gained:B
French: Predicted: Pass Gained: Distinction
Applied Science Diploma: Predicted: Below Pass X4 Gained: X4 Distinction Star.
GCSE This Year (2014 Y12)

Russian: Predicted:B
English Lit: Predicted:B
Maths: Resit Predicted:B

AS Levels 2014

Biology:
Predicted: C, My Prediction: A
Chemistry: Predicted: C, My Prediction: A
Psychology: Predicted: C, My Prediction: A
English Lit&Lang: Predicted:C, My Prediction: B
Environmental Science: Predicted:B, My Prediction: A
Applied Science A2: AS Grade: Distinction, A2 Prediction: Distinction Star

Extra-Circulars

DofE Bronze (Y11)
DofE Silver (Y12)
Criminology
Tomorrows Teachers
Crest Award Silver or Gold ( I need to speak to the head of science to ask if we can do it)
Biology Olympiad (Need to ask if I can do it.)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No; your grades aren't high enough. Even if they were, you're doing the wrong subjects for A-level. For Cambridge Natural Sciences (the only science degree they offer), you need three of A-Level Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics, which you won't have.

Your GCSEs are way too far below Oxbridge standard, so much so that you won't get looked at. You really shouldn't be doing A-Level English with Cs in English at GCSE; people with A*s struggled in my class. Why on earth are you doing 6 A-Levels, with GCSE grades which wouldn't meet the minimum requirements to study those subjects at most schools?

Oxbridge don't like GCSE resits; they want people who got the highest grades, the first time around. Your own predictions don't mean anything; they're not what get put on your application.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Being completely honest, not really. Your GCSEs results are a lot lower than what they look for, and while sometimes that may not the be all and end all if your A Levels are up to scratch, even they're sitting around the average mark and far below Oxbridge standards. "Your" predictions are all well and good, but that's not what they'll be seeing.

Of course, if you really stuck into your work and achieved what you believe you can (at least one A* would be necessary, and then nothing below an A) with a really killer personal statement, then I suppose it's wrong to say impossible. Realistically though, it's highly unlikely.
Reply 3
Original post by Carrington
Even if they were, you're doing the wrong subjects for A-level, and too many. For Cambridge Natural Sciences (the science degree they offer), you need three of A-Levels Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics, which you won't have.

Ah, I didn't notice that. Maths is absolutely vital, and I think that goes for any university that offers a science degree.
Reply 4
Original post by ShaneJ
X

Why would they take you with mainly Cs and Bs at GCSE and predicted cs at AS over other candidates which have achieved A*s and As?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
short answer no
Don't be discouraged! Send them an email explaining your grades, make sure your personal statement is as kick--ass as possible and give it a go. I'd probably go for oxford as their grade boundaries are slightly lower, but I almost got into Cambridge with ACCD at a level. You can't lose anything by trying and might gain some valuable contacts if they like you. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by eydetak
I almost got into Cambridge with ACCD at a level.

No you didn't.
Reply 8
people are generally advised to apply with 5A*+ at GCSE, not to say that you can't get in with lower grades
Realistically, no. If I were you I would aim slightly lower and then maybe apply postgrad if you really want to go to one of Oxbridge.
Original post by eydetak
Don't be discouraged! Send them an email explaining your grades, make sure your personal statement is as kick--ass as possible and give it a go. I'd probably go for oxford as their grade boundaries are slightly lower, but I almost got into Cambridge with ACCD at a level. You can't lose anything by trying and might gain some valuable contacts if they like you. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bull**** of the century award goes to you
(edited 10 years ago)
Sorry, but I really don't think so. Maybe try applying slightly lower? :smile:
Given that this was yesterday's question, I think deciding what is really going on in your life should come first.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=44542749&highlight=
Reply 13
Again with the troll post.

If you were serious, it would take a few brain cells to realise Oxbridge are no short of outstanding applicants and seeming as you got C's in AS and average Gcses, you dont stand a living hope.
Reply 14
Probably will be a little difficult with those grades but there's no harm in trying if you've set your heart on it.

If not, go to a different university. If you finish in the top 1-5%, you can then apply for Oxbridge for further study. This is a feasible route. (Source: me).
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Jkizer
Again with the troll post.

If you were serious, it would take a few brain cells to realise Oxbridge are no short of outstanding applicants and seeming as you got C's in AS and average Gcses, you dont stand a living hope.

I am in Year 12 ....
With the entry requirements for Oxbridge being so high, no, not really.

Not to say you can't try, your chances are just extremely slim, in any case.

Original post by eydetak

Posted from TSR Mobile

You almost got into Cambridge with ACCD?
Reply 17
Original post by ShaneJ
I am in Year 12 ....

If you apply for Oxford your gcses will not let you pass too far. Cambridge is possibly harder due to the high ums. Again your gcses may make you appear as a significantly weaker candidate.

What course specifically are you looking at, seeming Cambridge do not do Biology and Oxford offer Biological science & Biochem but not your 'Biology with Grad Med'
Reply 18
Original post by Jkizer
If you apply for Oxford your gcses will not let you pass too far. Cambridge is possibly harder due to the high ums. Again your gcses may make you appear as a significantly weaker candidate.

What course specifically are you looking at, seeming Cambridge do not do Biology and Oxford offer Biological science & Biochem but not your 'Biology with Grad Med'

I went to a really bad high school by the way. I meant Biology then a Medical Degree (grad entry). I would rather to do BioChem.
Well I'll comment on Cambridge.

They don't do a Biology course, they do natural sciences where you can select biology compenents. For science subjects at camridge, they expect students to have a strong background in science, usually taking three subjects from biology, chemistry, physics, maths and FM. You only have two so already your subject choices put you at a disadvantage. For selection for interview, they look for UMS over the three most relevant AS (biology, chemistry and i guess Psychology) and the average applicant will have 90% uMS and the average successful applicant will be closer to 95% UMS. at the minute, it'd be unwise to think about Cambridge until you have very high UMS, but even then your subject combination and GCSE grades will make it very hard for you.

Quick Reply

Latest