AS Physics Cwk: "Classic" Resistance of a wire Watch

This discussion is closed.
animal555
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Hi, I'm doing the good old resistance of a wire coursework. investigating how length of wire effects resistance. The circuit I'm using is a 6V battery, ammeter, "the wire" and a variable resistor in series, with a volt meter in parallel across "the wire".

My teacher says we should keep the current under 0.5 A to minimise heating effects. However, I was thinking wouldn't it be more important to keep power dissipated constant, P=(I^2)*R=V/I. So by controlling V and I using the variable resistor to keep the power constant for each different length. However, this causes two problems in my understanding:

1.) What therefore is the need to repeat and average readings for each length. Which is a essential component of the AQA mark scheme.

2.) By controlling V and I you will get a constant value of P, however is that P dissipated or P of the circuit i.e. rate at which chemical energy is converted to electrical.

I know this isn't a difficult coursework to do and I think my understanding of the above is probably incorrect. So could any one explain the correct way to carry out the experiement and what's wrong with the way I'm thinking about things.

I would really appreciate it! Thanks!
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (115)
14.06%
Excited (81)
9.9%
Worried (152)
18.58%
Terrified (189)
23.11%
Meh (55)
6.72%
Confused (23)
2.81%