mapremma
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
GCSE: 7A* 2A's
AS: AAAA
Predicted: A*/A*/A*/A* (econs, geo, psy, math)

I don't do further maths. Is it even worth applying to LSE? I've heard that most who get offers form LSE for Econs 101 do further maths. Realistically should I apply?

My uni choices, at the moment: Cambridge, Exeter, Nottingham, York, Lancaster (all for econs 101)
KH94
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by mapremma)

I don't do further maths. Is it even worth applying to LSE? I've heard that most who get offers form LSE for Econs 101 do further maths. Realistically should I apply?

My uni choices, at the moment: Cambridge, Exeter, Nottingham, York, Lancaster (all for econs 101)
Having checked the LSE website I can confirm that for BSc Economics, your A-level grades A*A*A*A* are acceptable. You need A* in maths and an A in Further Maths as a fourth subject (this means you only require an A in Further Maths if you have taken it). You have four A*s thus exceeding the requirements.

As for GCSE you require a profile which includes mainly A*s and As, which yours does.

Yes, it is worth applying as all your grades meet and exceed the requirements set out by LSE.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
KH94
Jooooshy
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
A girl in my year got into LSE without further maths!
jayjay531
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I want to apply to LSE for economics,but want to make sure it isn't a wasted application
At GCSE I got 9A*'s, 3A's and a C in Astronomy
At A-level I got AAAB
87.8 in Maths (C1-93, C2-96, S1-74)
90.3 in Biology
79 in Chemistry (Was one away from an A, but hopefully a remark is kind to me)
93.5 in Economics
- The average of my 3 best subjects would be 90.5
I'm also head boy at my school xD
My school didn't offer further maths last year, but this year they are, and I intend on picking up AS further maths
I've been to the Eton, UNIQ (Oxford), Cambridge, and LSE Summer Schools
The secondary school I went to and the sixth form I currently go to are considered 'deprived' and I am also an ethnic minority.

In light of this information, Is it worth applying to LSE for economics ?
I really need some help and advice Image
TheHaylio
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I got in with 3 A*'s no a level in further maths, just an AS in it. You are fine
username1002982
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Mr.Econometrics)
Yeah, most certainly; you have a fair chance of getting in. Btw, don't put your GCSE C on the application. You don't have to and it won't look appealing.
(Original post by jayjay531)
I want to apply to LSE for economics,but want to make sure it isn't a wasted application
At GCSE I got 9A*'s, 3A's and a C in Astronomy
At A-level I got AAAB
87.8 in Maths (C1-93, C2-96, S1-74)
90.3 in Biology
79 in Chemistry (Was one away from an A, but hopefully a remark is kind to me)
93.5 in Economics
- The average of my 3 best subjects would be 90.5
I'm also head boy at my school xD
My school didn't offer further maths last year, but this year they are, and I intend on picking up AS further maths
I've been to the Eton, UNIQ (Oxford), Cambridge, and LSE Summer Schools
The secondary school I went to and the sixth form I currently go to are considered 'deprived' and I am also an ethnic minority.

In light of this information, Is it worth applying to LSE for economics ?
I really need some help and advice Image
Actually, you have to put all your gcse's down. ( http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1744719) Not including some of your results on UCAS could end badly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
sunnydespair
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by mapremma)

I think you would get offers for all these unis, apart from perhaps Cambridge and LSE. Its probably worth applying. Might also be worth contacting admissions
jayjay531
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by TheHaylio)
I got in with 3 A*'s no a level in further maths, just an AS in it. You are fine
I decided not to do Further Maths AS, do I still have a chance?
jayjay531
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Sheldor)
Actually, you have to put all your gcse's down. ( http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1744719) Not including some of your results on UCAS could end badly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I decided not to do Further Maths AS, do I still have a chance?
de12345
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Jooooshy)
A girl in my year got into LSE without further maths!
Hi! I know this was written so long ago, but did your school at that time offer further maths?
Anonymous #1
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by de12345)
Hi! I know this was written so long ago, but did your school at that time offer further maths?
currently an econ student at LSE, and I can tell you that:
if your school does not offer further maths, and hence you can't take the subject, then you're fine, and if you meet the other requirements then do apply and indicate that on your application!
if your school does offer the subject and you choose not to study it, then this affects your application badly but I mean its still worth a try if you have great grades and a strong personal statement
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (66)
12.11%
Virtual campus tours/open days (132)
24.22%
Live streaming events (47)
8.62%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (52)
9.54%
A uni comparison tool (127)
23.3%
An in-person event when available (121)
22.2%