A2 edexcel chemistry kinetics

Anyone knows how to do this q ??
Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lamalam
Anyone knows how to do this q ??
Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am afraid we don't just provide answers to questions. You will have to post what you have done so far and then we can give you pointers as to where you are going wrong.
Reply 2
Original post by Plato's Trousers
I am afraid we don't just provide answers to questions. You will have to post what you have done so far and then we can give you pointers as to where you are going wrong.

11a.Significance --> vn-vt is the volume of n2 evolved between time t and the end.

11b) i really have no idea what graph i should plot . sorry.:confused:
Original post by Lamalam
11a.Significance --> vn-vt is the volume of n2 evolved between time t and the end.

11b) i really have no idea what graph i should plot . sorry.:confused:

Well, you can either measure the progress of a reaction by measuring the loss of reactant, or the increase of product. In this case, you haven't been given the amount of reactant, but you have been given the amount of product at each time (Vt). They have also given you Vn - Vt which is a measure of how far short of the final volume of nitrogen you are (this obviously decreases with time and can be used as a proxy for the amount of reactant since it's a 1:1 reaction).

So you want to plot ln (Vn-Vt) against time. A first order reaction will give you a straight line
Reply 4
Original post by Plato's Trousers
Well, you can either measure the progress of a reaction by measuring the loss of reactant, or the increase of product. In this case, you haven't been given the amount of reactant, but you have been given the amount of product at each time (Vt). They have also given you Vn - Vt which is a measure of how far short of the final volume of nitrogen you are (this obviously decreases with time and can be used as a proxy for the amount of reactant since it's a 1:1 reaction).

So you want to plot ln (Vn-Vt) against time. A first order reaction will give you a straight line

so does vt means the volume of n2 evolved at the specific time ( for example, the volume of nitrogen evolved at 3.5 minutes is 19.5 cm3)?

so Vn -Vt means the volume of nitrogen yet to be evolved at time t ?

but why (vn-vt) is plotted against time ? sorry i still don't get what is vn-vt . can you explain to me again?:s-smilie:

thank you !
Original post by Lamalam
so does vt means the volume of n2 evolved at the specific time ( for example, the volume of nitrogen evolved at 3.5 minutes is 19.5 cm3)?

so Vn -Vt means the volume of nitrogen yet to be evolved at time t ?

but why (vn-vt) is plotted against time ? sorry i still don't get what is vn-vt . can you explain to me again?:s-smilie:

thank you !

if you add Vt and (vn-Vt) you will see that they always add up to the same thing. That is the amount of nitrogen produced at the end of the reaction.

So, Vn-Vt is going to be the remaining amount of nitrogen yet to be evolved. What you really want for your plot is the amount of reactant. You don't have that. But the next best thing is Vn-Vt which is going to go in parallel, if you think about it.

At the start of the reaction you have 100% reactant and no product. The same is true of Vn-Vt (this also starts at 100% and gradually decreases to zero, just like the reactants).

Quick Reply

Latest