HND/HNC/foundation degree Watch

This discussion is closed.
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
My grades are not that good for now, but I am working hard to get into a degree program. Hope you can answer the following three questions:

If i do one of those qualifications (HND or HNC or foundation degree), how would I convert or enter a degree program after the 1st or 2nd or 3rd year of a HND or HNC or foundation degree program?

Would employers like to see HND or HNC or foundation degree?

What's the difference between those three qualifications and a degree?
fifi53
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
hiya...
despite all the pretentious nonsense you hear spouted on here about having to go to a good tradtional uni and do a standard subject with your 6 A2 levels... in the future, doing something vocational will make you far more employable. i am doing an HNC in the evenings at the moment (a 2 year course - 6 hours a week after work) and there are people on that course with MAs and they cant find work, in fact everyone but me has a degree on th course. a degree just shows that you know stuff, an HND/C shows you can actually do it. study part time and get a relevent work experience post for during the daytime... that is what employers want. i am however starting a university degree in september, fingers crossed, to run alongside my HNC, but thats just cos i have nothing better to do. You can always transfer to uni after an HND though, provided its the right course. and HND ususally takes 2 yrs FT or 3 PT, and can get you onto the 2nd or 3rd year of a lot of courses... sometimes theres a direct link with the university.
Starsky
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
Hi there, I am currently in the process of applying for a ladder opportunity Hnd in quantity surveying. Which you can do full time for 2 years and either leave with your hnd or continue towards degree. The degree takes a further 2 years and one of these years is a work experience year with a selected company applicable to your type of study. So it allows for the little experience future companies will require and your academic aspirations.
Hope this has helped.
I have a question:
I am currently applying to the LEA for funding to help me pay my tuition fees for these, does anyone have any knowledge of funding for study?
sashh
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
HNC and HND are the same level but HNC is either 1 year full time or 2 part time, HND 2 years full time. It depends where you go and what subject as to how hard it is to convert to a degree.

Basicaly HND is the same as 2 years at uni on a degree course, also same as a Diploma of HE.

I'm not up on foundation degrees, as far as I know you don't need A levels and they are more practical than theory.

One of my friends was admitted onto an MSc with 'just' an HNC.
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
That is strange. Some uni's have that requirement, but not alot of them would do that though. You can get into a PHD program with a Bachelors degree (preferably with honours).
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (95)
18.66%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (324)
63.65%
Not yet but I am planning to (24)
4.72%
Not yet but I might (66)
12.97%

Watched Threads