The Student Room Group

HND/HNC/foundation degree

My grades are not that good for now, but I am working hard to get into a degree program. Hope you can answer the following three questions:

If i do one of those qualifications (HND or HNC or foundation degree), how would I convert or enter a degree program after the 1st or 2nd or 3rd year of a HND or HNC or foundation degree program?

Would employers like to see HND or HNC or foundation degree?

What's the difference between those three qualifications and a degree?
Reply 1
hiya...
despite all the pretentious nonsense you hear spouted on here about having to go to a good tradtional uni and do a standard subject with your 6 A2 levels... in the future, doing something vocational will make you far more employable. i am doing an HNC in the evenings at the moment (a 2 year course - 6 hours a week after work) and there are people on that course with MAs and they cant find work, in fact everyone but me has a degree on th course. a degree just shows that you know stuff, an HND/C shows you can actually do it. study part time and get a relevent work experience post for during the daytime... that is what employers want. i am however starting a university degree in september, fingers crossed, to run alongside my HNC, but thats just cos i have nothing better to do. You can always transfer to uni after an HND though, provided its the right course. and HND ususally takes 2 yrs FT or 3 PT, and can get you onto the 2nd or 3rd year of a lot of courses... sometimes theres a direct link with the university.
Reply 2
Hi there, I am currently in the process of applying for a ladder opportunity Hnd in quantity surveying. Which you can do full time for 2 years and either leave with your hnd or continue towards degree. The degree takes a further 2 years and one of these years is a work experience year with a selected company applicable to your type of study. So it allows for the little experience future companies will require and your academic aspirations.
Hope this has helped.
I have a question:
I am currently applying to the LEA for funding to help me pay my tuition fees for these, does anyone have any knowledge of funding for study?
Reply 3
HNC and HND are the same level but HNC is either 1 year full time or 2 part time, HND 2 years full time. It depends where you go and what subject as to how hard it is to convert to a degree.

Basicaly HND is the same as 2 years at uni on a degree course, also same as a Diploma of HE.

I'm not up on foundation degrees, as far as I know you don't need A levels and they are more practical than theory.

One of my friends was admitted onto an MSc with 'just' an HNC.
Reply 4
That is strange. Some uni's have that requirement, but not alot of them would do that though. You can get into a PHD program with a Bachelors degree (preferably with honours).

Latest

Trending

Trending