The Student Room Group

Sociology A2 online study group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by SeanToBeWild
Structure your essay paragraphs using PEEEL:

Make a point. Explain your point, Evidence it (i.e. bring in sociologist names or statistics etc), Evaluate what you are saying (both sides whether you agree with it/disagree with it) and then link it back to the question.

What essay format do you use to answer the methods question?
Reply 81
Don't know if these will help anyone but I made some notes on the labelling theory and a part of globalisation, hopefully this may help someone out there haha! ImageUploadedByStudent Room1390423607.546892.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1390423617.213068.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xxvine
What essay format do you use to answer the methods question?

A combination of PEEEL and PERVERT!

Practical
Ethical
Representative
Valid
Example(s)
Reliable
Theoretical
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 83
Original post by SeanToBeWild
A combination of PEEEL and PERVERT!

Practical
Ethical
Representative
Valid
Example(s)
Reliable
Theoretical

So..for example if the question was about ''questionnaires'' do you talk about how practical they are, how ethical etc....?
Original post by xxvine
So..for example if the question was about ''questionnaires'' do you talk about how practical they are, how ethical etc....?

Pick out a few points that are the strongest points and write those as you won't have time to do every single one unless you write insanely fast!
Reply 85
Guys are you learning everything that came up in January and June

i heard they never repeat exam questions a year after they were set or is it too risky to miss it out?
Original post by xxvine
Guys are you learning everything that came up in January and June

i heard they never repeat exam questions a year after they were set or is it too risky to miss it out?

Learn it! Just to be sure :smile:
Reply 87
Original post by FutureMedic1009
Learn it! Just to be sure :smile:

hmm so much to learn man

how do people remember everything including studies etc..?:frown:
Original post by xxvine
hmm so much to learn man

how do people remember everything including studies etc..?:frown:

Just keep writing it out

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 89
any predictions of what may come up?
Joining this. Just had a mock test result I was dissapointed by, getting 9/21, 13/21, 10/15 and 17/33.

Would anybody mind telling me how they would structure a 33 marker and how long they would make it in terms of paragraphs? e.g. Introduction 60, eval 50, eval 50....

Already know about PEEEL though

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Anybody who has studied crime and deviance, could you tell me if labelling theory actually explains crime or deviance?
I read that a criticism of labelling theory was that it only explains why an act is deemed criminal or deviant, not why a person actually commits the act in the first place.

If this is true, I will be really pissed off, because my teacher who marked it put a comment by my explanation of labelling theory, asking "so how does labelling theory explain crime?".

How can I explain how labelling theory explains crime if it doesn't actually explain crime?

So could somebody explain to me if labelling theory actually explains why people commit crime? I already know about how it amplifies crime and deviance though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IllmaticDragon
Anybody who has studied crime and deviance, could you tell me if labelling theory actually explains crime or deviance?
I read that a criticism of labelling theory was that it only explains why an act is deemed criminal or deviant, not why a person actually commits the act in the first place.

If this is true, I will be really pissed off, because my teacher who marked it put a comment by my explanation of labelling theory, asking "so how does labelling theory explain crime?".

How can I explain how labelling theory explains crime if it doesn't actually explain crime?

So could somebody explain to me if labelling theory actually explains why people commit crime? I already know about how it amplifies crime and deviance though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

For labelling theorists, there isn't an act that is deviant itself but deviance is just a social construct(what might be legal here may not be legal in places like Saudi Arabia). The negative aspects of this type of thinking is that it just fails to locate the actual origins of such labels in the unequal structure of capitalist society.

Hope that cleared things up :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

One way you can think about how labelling explains why people commit "the act in the first place" is through the impact of negative labelling - give a dog a bad name and don't be surprised if it becomes a bad dog.

The idea here is that through negative labelling the individual comes to see and define themselves in the light of the label - a simple and oft-noted example being if a teacher (a primary definer of educational achievement) continually marks a student down etc. the student comes to define themselves as a "poor student"; if nothing they do makes any difference to their school performance - they can't successfully reject the label - then they eventually see little point in trying. This, in turn, means they can never improve their teacher's perception of their abilities and this reinforces the initial teacher label of a "poor student" (it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy).

A further dimension here is when an individual or group attracts a negative label that is then used, by others, to define that individual / group. In this example teachers talk about their students - x is a good student, y is a bad student etc. - and this affects all future interactions. If one teacher communicates to another the idea that "y is a poor student" the second teacher already has certain (low) expectations about this student before they ever meet them - and this affects their interaction when they do eventually come into contact.

In a wider context, where a group attracts a negative label, control agencies tend to police such groups more closely - both looking for evidence to reinforce the label and interpreting the groups' behaviour in negative ways.
Reply 94
9/9

14/18

27/33 so was pleased to get an A

So much to revise this year with no Jan exams
Reply 95
Original post by ConnorMcD
9/9

14/18

27/33 so was pleased to get an A

So much to revise this year with no Jan exams

hows revision going...

have you started?
Reply 96
Original post by 3mmz
hows revision going...

have you started?

Not really, for the mock exams I briefly went over things.

I have English Coursework and EPQ deadlines in the next couple of weeks, so finishing them off. So will start properly revising, early March.
Reply 97
Original post by ConnorMcD
Not really, for the mock exams I briefly went over things.

I have English Coursework and EPQ deadlines in the next couple of weeks, so finishing them off. So will start properly revising, early March.

you doing crime and deviance and religion like me!

so much to learn :frown: what's your revision technique?
Reply 98
Original post by 3mmz
you doing crime and deviance and religion like me!

so much to learn :frown: what's your revision technique?

I am indeed, we haven't even started Crime yet.

I have this text book (which my college supplies for the year free of charge)

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/9780954007966?redirected=true&viewCountry=UK&selectCurrency=GBP&gclid=CP3yi7ivwbwCFSTkwgod9DkAqg

Its pretty good, certainly for my AS revision, it covered everything.

Revision its self, I just took notes of each sub-topic. E.g.

Functionalism

What the theory says on religion

Key Theorists/ Key Concepts

Evaluation

So long story cut short, I just made it simpler and easier to read and understand, using sub-headings and a variety of sources.

After I have revised the knowledge stuff, I complete exam questions, in particular the 33 markers for this year

------------------------------------------------------------------

Everyone is different, but I find this way is the most effective for me
Id thought i just join in, I got A*'s in both unit 3 and 4 (AQA) so if anyone needs any help please just pm or something.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending