This discussion is closed.
Hoofbeat
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Out of interest what is a typical weekend like for an Oxbridge student?

At the moment I get little free time at the weekends due to other commitments and homework! My typical weekend is:-
Sat
8:30 Get up, have shower etc
10:00 Homework
12:00 Dog for walk and lunch
13:00 Theatre school all afternoon
18:00 Home, do a little bit of work, then dinner some tv and internet (unless I'm out in town)
23:00 Bed

Sun
9:00 Get up etc...
10:00 Homework
13:00 Dog for walk and lunch
14:00 Horse-ride and see to my horse
16:00 Homework
18:00 Dinner and then relax...

I know my weekends are a lot more "full" than others and was just wondering whether you do get time to chill, go shopping etc at the weekends when you're at Oxbridge, or whether you find it more hectic than when you were at school? Thanks
Me2
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Hoofbeat)
14:00 Horse-ride and see to my horse
groovy, you have a horse too?
Hoofbeat
Rep:
?
(Original post by Me2)
groovy, you have a horse too?
Yeah but he'll be staying at Home (well not at our house but at his current yard, he won't be coming with me) so hoping that I'll have some free time at weekends so every 3wks or so I can come back and compete him.

If you want to know more go to http://www.hoofbeat.tv
Sazzle
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
If you want to know more go to http://www.hoofbeat.tv
You don't know someone called Meg do you - I saw a clip of Charka on (i think) your site.
roxy potter
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
oh cool you do dressage. i'm currently looking for a horse for dressage its turning out to be a long search. at the moment i just have two connemaras.
its unfortunate you have to leave your horse at home its half the reason i dont want to go too far for university.
btw-the skewbald is gorgeous.
androidkiller
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
So do you eat it or take it out?
hornblower
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
You have dog for lunch?
Hoofbeat
Rep:
?
(Original post by hornblower)
You have dog for lunch?
Yeah tastes lush, havent u tried it?! I believe its served regularly at Oxbridge formal halls...
Hoofbeat
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sazzle)
You don't know someone called Meg do you - I saw a clip of Charka on (i think) your site.
Yeah I chat to Meg online on msn and she's hopefully going to let me come and ride with her when I come to Oxford

(Original post by roxy potter)
btw-the skewbald is gorgeous.
Just to point out he isn't actually skewbald! He's tri-coloured but most of the pics make him look skewbald. However, technically he's tri coloured as he has a black patch above his knee on one of his fore legs and that is also why he has black in his mane and tail, rather than brown
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well, to answer the original question, my weekend would probably go something like this:

Saturday

1:30am get in from wherever I've been and fall into bed.
11am get up, have breakfast, get dressed, boring stuff like that.
12pm think about mountains of work I have to do, decide to check my e-mail and messageboards etc.
2:30pm panic, realise that I've wasted far too much time on here. However am in important MSN conversation and can't leave.
3pm get off computer, look at books.
3:05pm decide it's lunchtime, go and make some random crap with pasta.
3:30pm eat lunch, look at books again, go and see friends to decide what to do.
4pm come back from friends, panic some more about work. Sit down and open some books. Write title of essay (if feeling keen).
4:05pm decide I need a drink. And a toasted pitta bread. And a chocolate bar.
4:15pm sit down again. Actually do a bit of work.
5:30pm get bored, go and get some water. Meet friends in kitchen, chat to them.
7pm decide to check e-mails again, then "just have a look" at UKL etc to see what's going on.
8pm knock on next-door neighbour's door and ask if he wants to come and watch Blackadder. Watch Blackadder.
9pm look at books, write a few more sentences.
9:30pm go to see friends, go out somewhere. Watch everyone else get drunk :rolleyes:

Sunday
2am return from night out followed by room party
10am get woken up by next door neighbour (choral scholar :rolleyes: ) singing. Curse him and go back to sleep.
12pm get up, do boring related stuff.
1pm go on computer "just for a few minutes"
2pm panic and get off computer. Force self to do work by picking up all my books and going to the library. Halfway down the stairs realise I've forgotten my access card and have to go back and get it.
4pm return, bleary eyed from the library. Sit down at desk and look at the notes I've now made. Turn on computer to start typing up.
4:30pm having checked my e-mails, looked on UKL and so on, open up word and start writing essay.
5pm realise that I haven't signed out of MSN when someone comes online and tells me they're having a crisis. Try to alternate between writing essay and helping whichever of my friends it is.
7pm go and make some lunch/dinner (having had various snacks throughout the afternoon). Meet friends in kitchen and chat.
8pm return to room and essay. Get text from friend (in next staircase!) asking if I'm going to the bar.
9pm go and get friends, go to bar for whatever's on (at Clare, they have comedy, open mic nights and so on, not every Sunday, but quite often.)
11:30ish go to bed
Kalypso
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Generally I find that weekends are not too different to weekdays - time in Oxford is so fragmented that things just blur together. The only big difference between a weekend and a weekday is that there are no lectures. But then I have weekdays without lectures too... Weekends aren't really like time off or anything; people still work because they want to/need to. Sometimes it's good to take advantage of not being bound to a mon-fri and sat-sun regime and to work weekends and do weekendy-type-things midweek: going out on weekday nights is cheaper and there are more student events on, and in town the shops are emptier so it's easier to get around!
roxy potter
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Just to point out he isn't actually skewbald! He's tri-coloured but most of the pics make him look skewbald. However, technically he's tri coloured as he has a black patch above his knee on one of his fore legs and that is also why he has black in his mane and tail, rather than brown [/QUOTE]

so sorry. i had a grey dun last year and it drove me mad when people said he was grey

anyway my weekend is like so

sat 7am get up feed the ponies
9am sat morning study and irish grind
1pm out of study walk down town for an hour.
2.30pm home internet tv or read
do stuff with ponies
evening try to do some study
Sun 7-feed ponies
homework or whatever.
lounge around, internet or absolutely nothing
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
Well, to answer the original question, my weekend would probably go something like this:

Saturday

1:30am get in from wherever I've been and fall into bed.
11am get up, have breakfast, get dressed, boring stuff like that.
12pm think about mountains of work I have to do, decide to check my e-mail and messageboards etc.
2:30pm panic, realise that I've wasted far too much time on here. However am in important MSN conversation and can't leave.
3pm get off computer, look at books.
3:05pm decide it's lunchtime, go and make some random crap with pasta.
3:30pm eat lunch, look at books again, go and see friends to decide what to do.
4pm come back from friends, panic some more about work. Sit down and open some books. Write title of essay (if feeling keen).
4:05pm decide I need a drink. And a toasted pitta bread. And a chocolate bar.
4:15pm sit down again. Actually do a bit of work.
5:30pm get bored, go and get some water. Meet friends in kitchen, chat to them.
7pm decide to check e-mails again, then "just have a look" at UKL etc to see what's going on.
8pm knock on next-door neighbour's door and ask if he wants to come and watch Blackadder. Watch Blackadder.
9pm look at books, write a few more sentences.
9:30pm go to see friends, go out somewhere. Watch everyone else get drunk :rolleyes:

Sunday
2am return from night out followed by room party
10am get woken up by next door neighbour (choral scholar :rolleyes: ) singing. Curse him and go back to sleep.
12pm get up, do boring related stuff.
1pm go on computer "just for a few minutes"
2pm panic and get off computer. Force self to do work by picking up all my books and going to the library. Halfway down the stairs realise I've forgotten my access card and have to go back and get it.
4pm return, bleary eyed from the library. Sit down at desk and look at the notes I've now made. Turn on computer to start typing up.
4:30pm having checked my e-mails, looked on UKL and so on, open up word and start writing essay.
5pm realise that I haven't signed out of MSN when someone comes online and tells me they're having a crisis. Try to alternate between writing essay and helping whichever of my friends it is.
7pm go and make some lunch/dinner (having had various snacks throughout the afternoon). Meet friends in kitchen and chat.
8pm return to room and essay. Get text from friend (in next staircase!) asking if I'm going to the bar.
9pm go and get friends, go to bar for whatever's on (at Clare, they have comedy, open mic nights and so on, not every Sunday, but quite often.)
11:30ish go to bed
no way, sunday is awesome. go to formal, get pissed go clubbing. life (used to be awesome on sunday) or as is the norm now - cindies
J
Hoofbeat
Rep:
?
Don't worry about the colour! I use to get really annoyed by it (I keep him on livery at a college and you'd get all these handicapped ppl - who love workin with the horses - being told by lecturers that he was skewbald whenever I walked past and so I corrected lecturers! lol!!!)/ Have got use ot it now, as realise most ppl don't notice his black patch as it's not noticable when you look at his body! lol
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by foolfarian)
no way, sunday is awesome. go to formal, get pissed go clubbing. life (used to be awesome on sunday) or as is the norm now - cindies
J
We don't have Sunday formal - only for people who have been to evensong and go to it afterwards with the choir. Tis cheaper, but less pennying etc going on. Hmmm, Cindies on a Sunday, something I've never done. Shall think about it next term.
Agrippina
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
We don't have Sunday formal - only for people who have been to evensong and go to it afterwards with the choir. Tis cheaper, but less pennying etc going on. Hmmm, Cindies on a Sunday, something I've never done. Shall think about it next term.
What subject do you read?
oldthrashbarg
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
How much does the number of formals vary from college to college?
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Eeyore)
What subject do you read?
Medicine.

(Original post by oldthrashbarg)
How much does the number of formals vary from college to college?
Some have them every night, some only have one or two a week. Some colleges e.g. Caius have their ordinary dinner in formal hall, and only have special formals every so often. Clare has them Monday-Thursday.
MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
A NatSci weekend:

Saturday

8am - wake up
8.30am - wake up for the second time and roll out of bed, followed by frantic dressing and note collecting
9.07am - roll into first lecture (maths urrrgh) but it's OK that you're a little late since nobody else is there either, except for the weird keeno people
1pm - end of lectures. Have lunch (for everyone else it's breakfast)
1.30pm - go back to room. Start work.
1.35pm - stop work
1.40pm - fall asleep
approx 3.30pm - wake up, swear, restart work
3.35pm - find self on UKL and/or MSN messenger. Shrug - after all, it's only Saturday, I've got the whole of tomorrow to do all my work.

- the rest of Saturday is a write-off; usually I'm in bed at about 2-3am.

Sunday

11am - wake up, groan - dammit, I was supposed to be up at 10!
11.30am - start some work
1.30pm - nip out to Sainsbury's to grab a quick lunch. Get distracted and walk out having bought half the shop
2pm - start some good, solid work.
4.30pm - have really got into work. Now I have to go and get changed for choir. Drat.
5 - 7.30pm - choir and evensong
7.30pm - about 9pm - formal (depends how much work I've done as to whether I go or not)
about 9pm - start frantic work for deadline following morning
about 2am - bed... aaaaah.
Hoofbeat
Rep:
?
(Original post by MadNatSci)
A NatSci weekend:

Saturday

8am - wake up
8.30am - wake up for the second time and roll out of bed, followed by frantic dressing and note collecting
9.07am - roll into first lecture (maths urrrgh) but it's OK that you're a little late since nobody else is there either, except for the weird keeno people
LECTURES?! you have a lecture on a saturday?!?!?!?!?!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (209)
33.49%
No (415)
66.51%

Watched Threads