The Student Room Group

Entry Requirements

Hey,

I'd like to study English Literature at Uni and I'm predicted A*BB with an A* in English Lit

The Universities I'm looking at are mostly looking for AAB, but after going to some open days I've discovered some unis really do 'discard' applicants who don't reach their entry requirements without reading their personal statements, references etc.

Does anyone know if this is the case with most unis? (especially RG unis e.g. Sheffield, Manchester, Newcastle and others). Or, does it just depend on how popular the course is? (I'm considering applying to Leeds for Classical Literature and English - AAB)

Thanks to anyone who helps!!! :smile:
Reply 1
Depends on the course and the Uni. Most will look at the AS grades and if they are close will keep reading, if they were really bad they would just stop. So if it is ABB you could get away with BCC at AS if you had good predictions :smile: A*BB prediction wont stop you being offered a place, what were your AS grades?
Reply 2
Original post by Munrot07
Depends on the course and the Uni. Most will look at the AS grades and if they are close will keep reading, if they were really bad they would just stop. So if it is ABB you could get away with BCC at AS if you had good predictions :smile: A*BB prediction wont stop you being offered a place, what were your AS grades?

i got ACD (C and D were very close to being a B and a C which I'm really annoyed about but what can i do). I hope it won't come across to unis as adventurous predictions because I know I can get A*BB (I had some extenuating circumstances which I believe may be put into my reference)

Thank you!
I think you should call Leeds. Two years ago I was told by the English admissions tutor at a careers teachers' conference that they (Leeds) would bin any applications which didn't have the right predicted grades as a quick way of whittling down numbers. However, things which may have changed since then with the advent of the abolition of the ABB+ cap, so it may no longer be the hard and fast rule it was then. The other thing is that you are applying for a relatively less in-demand course, so they may be more flexible. Before wasting a slot on the form, call and get the current situation.
Original post by burnley
i got ACD (C and D were very close to being a B and a C which I'm really annoyed about but what can i do). I hope it won't come across to unis as adventurous predictions because I know I can get A*BB (I had some extenuating circumstances which I believe may be put into my reference)

Thank you!

I think it could be difficult, I mean even if you were close to a B and C, say 68% and 58%, you would still need to get 72% and 82% to scrape two B's. I know people can change in a year but do you realistically think you'll go up 3 grades? (not wanted to be mean but if it's highly unlikely you'll get the grades and the course is oversubscribed I can't see why they would take a risk when others will probably be hitting the grade)
English is one of the most popular courses and so for RG Unis in particular the competition is intense. This is one reason they ask for such high grades.

Yes, for many courses Universities will simply weed out anyone not meeting the minimum requirements. For competitive courses they know they will have more than enough applicants who meet/exceed the requirements so they don't need to be 'lenient' to anyone who doesn't in order to fill the course.

Its usually worth including one choice that is slightly above your predicted grades (but with the 'right' grade in the course subject). Just make sure your other choices are more realistic and you should always include one choice with noticeably lower grades as a 'safety' choice.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by carnationlilyrose
I think you should call Leeds. Two years ago I was told by the English admissions tutor at a careers teachers' conference that they (Leeds) would bin any applications which didn't have the right predicted grades as a quick way of whittling down numbers. However, things which may have changed since then with the advent of the abolition of the ABB+ cap, so it may no longer be the hard and fast rule it was then. The other thing is that you are applying for a relatively less in-demand course, so they may be more flexible. Before wasting a slot on the form, call and get the current situation.

Thanks you :smile:

Leeds do still do this for English Literature (AAA) but they did say it was because the course is in very big demand. I do really have an enthusiasm for Class Civ. though and I prefer their joint honours course. I agree with you, I'll definitely phone them again!!
Original post by burnley
Thanks you :smile:

Leeds do still do this for English Literature (AAA) but they did say it was because the course is in very big demand. I do really have an enthusiasm for Class Civ. though and I prefer their joint honours course. I agree with you, I'll definitely phone them again!!

Thanks for the update. I wondered if it was still the case, and it's useful to know that it is. Good luck with your quest.
Reply 8
Original post by leinad2012
I think it could be difficult, I mean even if you were close to a B and C, say 68% and 58%, you would still need to get 72% and 82% to scrape two B's. I know people can change in a year but do you realistically think you'll go up 3 grades? (not wanted to be mean but if it's highly unlikely you'll get the grades and the course is oversubscribed I can't see why they would take a risk when others will probably be hitting the grade)

Thanks for being so realistically honest, I have thought this myself!! I wouldn't be going up three grades though, I'd be going up 2. Also, considering I was close to the B and C grade boundaries, I'd effectively only have to work towards going up around 1 grade, so I don't see it as 'highly unlikely'. Please bear in mind I've asked this question to seek advice and find this out as I am highly aware that many students have achieved better grades than I have, I only want to achieve as much as I can just like anyone else :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by returnmigrant
English is one of the most popular courses and so for RG Unis in particular the competition is intense. This is one reason they ask for such high grades.

Yes, for many courses Universities will simply weed out anyone not meeting the minimum requirements. For competitive courses they know they will have more than enough applicants who meet/exceed the requirements so they don't need to be 'lenient' to anyone who doesn't in order to fill the course.

Its usually worth including one choice that is slightly above your predicted grades (but with the 'right' grade in the course subject). Just make sure your other choices are more realistic and you should always include one choice with noticeably lower grades as a 'safety' choice.

Thanks, I am looking at unis with lower entry requirements for single honours English Lit :smile: Do you think though that if the course was not as popular, they'd be lenient?
Be aware that the RG Unis are targeted by Oxbridge applicants for their Insurance choices. If you look just outside this - what is known as the 1994 Group (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_Group) or Unis like Liverpool and Surrey which despite being very good Unis are not currently seen as 'fashionable', you are far more likely to get an offer than if you applied to Bristol and Exeter for instance.
Original post by burnley
Thanks for being so realistically honest, I have thought this myself!! I wouldn't be going up three grades though, I'd be going up 2. Also, considering I was close to the B and C grade boundaries, I'd effectively only have to work towards going up around 1 grade, so I don't see it as 'highly unlikely'. Please bear in mind I've asked this question to seek advice and find this out as I am highly aware that many students have achieved better grades than I have, I only want to achieve as much as I can just like anyone else :smile:

I see what you mean and it's certainly still worth applying (though maybe only to 1 or 2 at AAB), I'm sure lots of people have improved by huge amounts from AS to A2 and if you're committed I'm sure you can achieve although 68% to 82% is a HUGE increase, 25% really so 2 1/2 grade boundaries. Sorry if I seemed really blunt, I just wanted to stress just how tough it will be :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest