The Student Room Group

withdrawn from medicine due to health reasons- how I return to medicine?

Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting a thread at student room. I really need good advice, or at least a sympathy from you all. My story is long so apologies in advance.
Basically, I was a medical student and completed preclinical part of the medicine successfully. I suffered from severe anxiety and depression and had to take a time off from my studies on 2 occassions however I always went back to my studies and complete the exams successfully. When I suffered from anxiety 2nd time, I began to worry about my problems and began to think if I would not be able to cope with the emotional demands of being a doctor. Please note that I only doubted doing medicine because of my health problem not because I was uncommitted etc. So I discussed this with few people including my nice personal tutor and they advised me to carry on with Intercalated BSc and then, I would at least have a degree. So I started Intercalated BSc however I began to suffer from severe fatigue and concentration problems. Fatigue was due to combination of side effects of antidepressants and anaemia. Because of these, I began to feel anxious that I would fail my exams and that sets off my problems again. So, my last exam was postponed 3 times and finally, I completed my exam in the next year. During the year, I worked in a GP surgery and really enjoyed it. It was stressful but I coped very well. I began to realise 2 things: I could cope with stress and I still wanted to be a doctor.

I also got a new personal tutor who happened to be a head of year 2 medicine and to be honest, she was not a sympathetic about mental health problems. She was angry that I could not complete my last exams and began to get impatient with me. So after completing last my exam, I met with her and it was a very difficult meeting. She was obviously quite angry with me and when I asked if I could continue with medicine, she informed me something like 'No, you can't' and 'you can't ever come back to medicine'. Since she also happened to be a head of year 2 med, I thought I was dismissed because of my health problem and thought it was the end of me and medicine. It was a very difficult meeting so please don't ask why I didn't challenge her at the time etc. I really believed it was the end of medicine for me so I tried to find other jobs in the NHS whilst working as a receptionist in a GP for 2 years. I applied to NHS Scientist training programme 2 times as a trainee Cardiac physiologist and my applications were not successful. After 2 years, I began to fear that I was losing my medical and scientific knowledge and that will mean wasting my 4 years of hard work and money. I did not spent 4 years at uni to become a receptionist, sorry. I realised trying to find trainee posts in NHS would not be easy and I did not want to waste any more time and lost my knowledge so I decided to return to uni.
I found this course that is similar to medicine and applied. When they found that I was a medic, they were not a happy so I had to send them a long email explaining why I could not carry on with medicine. I waited and waited for any reply and in the end, I had to contact their disability officer and explain the situation. At last, I was asked to attend the selection tests. I attended the tests and thought I did my best. However, almost a day after I received an email telling me that my application was unsuccessful. They said because of the high no. of applicants, they can't give a feedback. I am so sure they were happy to get rid of someone who had so much drama.

Anyways, I knew I wanted to study Masters so I decided to apply for Masters. I contacted the course organisor to enquire about Masters programme and he asked me why I could not continue with medicine. I confided to him what has happened 2 years ago. He told me I should explain the situation to my medical school and request to rejoin the programme. I could not believe my ears! I never thought I could return back to medicine. After gaining a hope, I realised that I wanted to be a doctor more than ever. So I emailed the head of medical education and few days ago, I received an email saying that 2 years ago, after hearing the advice from the head of year 2, it was clear that I indicated that I was withdrawing. If I really believed that I was withdrawn, I only had 3 months to appeal (no one told this info that time) etc etc. Basically, to cut the long story short-they won't bother taking me back. I guess they thought I was an idiot who disappeared 2 years and now realizing what I lost so making up this silly story to try to come back to medicine. However, I am not going to take this any further because everyone will believe the head because she is like this important person and I am no one. I already lost face and don't want more people to think I am an idiot.

I was accepted to study Masters at my uni so I withdrew my application from the other uni for 3 reasons: - fee at my uni was £1000 cheaper and - giving me Masters will mean that they accepted my Intercalated BSc (as I heard some places don't accept it as full BSc because you suppose to have completed medicine etc). I am starting my Masters in a few days time and I am starting to feel apprehensive of going back to place where I had so much drama. I just hope I don't have to suffer from anymore health problems and create more drama.

I wanted to be a doctor more than ever. I also learnt so much about myself for the past 2 years and now I know for certain that I CAN cope with medical training and become a good doctor! I researched my options and found following possible choices with varying degree of success:
- transfer to a medical school in UK (limited success because I should already be a medical student whilst I am not a med anymore. I am also unsure if they will accept someone with so much drama)
- transfer to medical school in Europe (how easy is it to train here in UK if I graduate abroad? courses are fairly expensive, where am I suppose to find the money)
- finish MSc and apply for Graduate entry course (lots of schools does not accept someone who withdraw from medicine even due to a health reason, the courses are even more competitive now so not sure how successful I will be)
So, basically, I am stuck on what I should do. I would really appreciate a good and helpful advice or at least, support from fellow students.

P.S. I already know I made mistakes and was naive etc because I believed head of year 2's words just because she was a senior person and I really regret it. Please don't ask me to pursue this case further with my uni or make a complaint/take a legal/similar action because I know it will be unhelpful. I already had and having a hard time so please only say helpful things.
Reply 1
Ummm...sounds like you are/were going through a lot.

First of all congrats for not letting the head`s words get to you, if you want to study medicine then go ahead and do it. After all, if you take advice from someone when you are not comfortable with the idea it is YOU that have to live with that; in summary do want to do.

I had something similar with a consultant psychologist in Oxford (a friend) who said I should not take a gap year and should take a degree instead. I was close to agreeing with him but then I had a thought: before I make the decision to study a course I may not like I had to clarify that it was my choice because I am the one that is going to have to study it for 3-4yrs, not him. I am on a gap year now.

Secondly, I am sure medical schools are not allowed to discriminate against you because of your health issues- they should only judge you on your merits just like everyone else: equality is the word. The only thing that would make them a bit hesitant to admit you is the worry of history repeating itself. That is where you have to convince them that it isn't; and frankly the fact you are still considering medicine after all this shows you are determined. So my best advice would be to email all the medical schools now with a brief outline of your background and ask them specific questions like: is my background going to affect my application in any way? What do I need to do to make this less of an issue during my application? Will a reference from my boss help (see next paragraph)? things like that.

And just a thought, have you ever considered seeing a counsellor about your initial anxiety problem. I mean medical schools would like to see evidence (cold as that sounds) from someone that history will not be repeating itself. Plus it might give you assurance in your ability to cope. Even something as simple as attaching references with that email from someone who has known you (preferably your boss or someone professional) from the time you left medical school till now because that shows credibility to your argument. I am only saying this because in that email all they see is a piece of paper and you want to make sure that you come across as determined and healthy as you can be.

As far as the decision to be a graduate, undergraduate or EU trainee, well that is up to you. I will assume (and don't take this as gospel) they might prefer you it if you started from the beginning aka as an undergraduate, so the drama will be behind you and you have a fresh start. I don`t know how you feel about that though.

If you have any questions from my essay, just ask. I am not an expert, just someone here to give my best advice

HTH :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
I can't deny the sorrow I feel for you with this story in mind, but to be honest I wouldn't want a doctor treating me with so much personal trauma, so you need to sort yourself out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Incredimazing
I can't deny the sorrow I feel for you with this story in mind, but to be honest I wouldn't want a doctor treating me with so much personal trauma, so you need to sort yourself out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How do you any doctor who has or will treat you hasnt had 'drama' as you put it?
Doctors are not superheroes, they do get ill, they do have personal lives and will have their own problems. Its the fact they don't bring it to work, and still continue treating patients with dignity and respect despite having 'drama' at home.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile

My brother died whilst I was in medical school....so are you suggesting I should give up too???
Original post by deviant182
How do you any doctor who has or will treat you hasnt had 'drama' as you put it?
Doctors are not superheroes, they do get ill, they do have personal lives and will have their own problems. Its the fact they don't bring it to work, and still continue treating patients with dignity and respect despite having 'drama' at home.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, because expressing my sympathy and giving advice is being 'ignorant'.

Don't tell me that you'd favour the idea of a heart surgeon operating on you when they have severe social anxiety and demonstrate traits of being a ditherer. Medicine is a prestigious degree and because this gentleman dropped out he stopped somebody else from being able to do it because he didn't think he could handle the pressure of being a doctor. Sorry, but that's something you're supposed to figure out before you apply for medicine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by DoctorInTraining
My brother died whilst I was in medical school....so are you suggesting I should give up too???

No, you misinterpreted what I said.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kitty100
Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting a thread at student room. I really need good advice, or at least a sympathy from you all. My story is long so apologies in advance.
Basically, I was a medical student and completed preclinical part of the medicine successfully. I suffered from severe anxiety and depression and had to take a time off from my studies on 2 occassions however I always went back to my studies and complete the exams successfully. When I suffered from anxiety 2nd time, I began to worry about my problems and began to think if I would not be able to cope with the emotional demands of being a doctor. Please note that I only doubted doing medicine because of my health problem not because I was uncommitted etc. So I discussed this with few people including my nice personal tutor and they advised me to carry on with Intercalated BSc and then, I would at least have a degree. So I started Intercalated BSc however I began to suffer from severe fatigue and concentration problems. Fatigue was due to combination of side effects of antidepressants and anaemia. Because of these, I began to feel anxious that I would fail my exams and that sets off my problems again. So, my last exam was postponed 3 times and finally, I completed my exam in the next year. During the year, I worked in a GP surgery and really enjoyed it. It was stressful but I coped very well. I began to realise 2 things: I could cope with stress and I still wanted to be a doctor.

I also got a new personal tutor who happened to be a head of year 2 medicine and to be honest, she was not a sympathetic about mental health problems. She was angry that I could not complete my last exams and began to get impatient with me. So after completing last my exam, I met with her and it was a very difficult meeting. She was obviously quite angry with me and when I asked if I could continue with medicine, she informed me something like 'No, you can't' and 'you can't ever come back to medicine'. Since she also happened to be a head of year 2 med, I thought I was dismissed because of my health problem and thought it was the end of me and medicine. It was a very difficult meeting so please don't ask why I didn't challenge her at the time etc. I really believed it was the end of medicine for me so I tried to find other jobs in the NHS whilst working as a receptionist in a GP for 2 years. I applied to NHS Scientist training programme 2 times as a trainee Cardiac physiologist and my applications were not successful. After 2 years, I began to fear that I was losing my medical and scientific knowledge and that will mean wasting my 4 years of hard work and money. I did not spent 4 years at uni to become a receptionist, sorry. I realised trying to find trainee posts in NHS would not be easy and I did not want to waste any more time and lost my knowledge so I decided to return to uni.
I found this course that is similar to medicine and applied. When they found that I was a medic, they were not a happy so I had to send them a long email explaining why I could not carry on with medicine. I waited and waited for any reply and in the end, I had to contact their disability officer and explain the situation. At last, I was asked to attend the selection tests. I attended the tests and thought I did my best. However, almost a day after I received an email telling me that my application was unsuccessful. They said because of the high no. of applicants, they can't give a feedback. I am so sure they were happy to get rid of someone who had so much drama.

Anyways, I knew I wanted to study Masters so I decided to apply for Masters. I contacted the course organisor to enquire about Masters programme and he asked me why I could not continue with medicine. I confided to him what has happened 2 years ago. He told me I should explain the situation to my medical school and request to rejoin the programme. I could not believe my ears! I never thought I could return back to medicine. After gaining a hope, I realised that I wanted to be a doctor more than ever. So I emailed the head of medical education and few days ago, I received an email saying that 2 years ago, after hearing the advice from the head of year 2, it was clear that I indicated that I was withdrawing. If I really believed that I was withdrawn, I only had 3 months to appeal (no one told this info that time) etc etc. Basically, to cut the long story short-they won't bother taking me back. I guess they thought I was an idiot who disappeared 2 years and now realizing what I lost so making up this silly story to try to come back to medicine. However, I am not going to take this any further because everyone will believe the head because she is like this important person and I am no one. I already lost face and don't want more people to think I am an idiot.

I was accepted to study Masters at my uni so I withdrew my application from the other uni for 3 reasons: - fee at my uni was £1000 cheaper and - giving me Masters will mean that they accepted my Intercalated BSc (as I heard some places don't accept it as full BSc because you suppose to have completed medicine etc). I am starting my Masters in a few days time and I am starting to feel apprehensive of going back to place where I had so much drama. I just hope I don't have to suffer from anymore health problems and create more drama.

I wanted to be a doctor more than ever. I also learnt so much about myself for the past 2 years and now I know for certain that I CAN cope with medical training and become a good doctor! I researched my options and found following possible choices with varying degree of success:
- transfer to a medical school in UK (limited success because I should already be a medical student whilst I am not a med anymore. I am also unsure if they will accept someone with so much drama)
- transfer to medical school in Europe (how easy is it to train here in UK if I graduate abroad? courses are fairly expensive, where am I suppose to find the money)
- finish MSc and apply for Graduate entry course (lots of schools does not accept someone who withdraw from medicine even due to a health reason, the courses are even more competitive now so not sure how successful I will be)
So, basically, I am stuck on what I should do. I would really appreciate a good and helpful advice or at least, support from fellow students.

P.S. I already know I made mistakes and was naive etc because I believed head of year 2's words just because she was a senior person and I really regret it. Please don't ask me to pursue this case further with my uni or make a complaint/take a legal/similar action because I know it will be unhelpful. I already had and having a hard time so please only say helpful things.

Oh my gosh - this is quite a journey.

The main point of this case hinges on how you left medical school.....

Did you get asked officially to withdraw? (after failure of exams/incomplete course)
Did you withdraw without being asked?

Did you complete all your second year (preclinical) exams? - this is really REALLY important

I transferred between medical schools (from Bristol to UCL) but I had 1 gap year - not several as you have described.

I will be honest - the tread was very long! I've tried to summarise as I found you didn't space the text enough for me to read with ease.
Original post by DoctorInTraining

I'm sorry but why are you putting words in his mouth? He didn't say that or suggest it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Yes, because expressing my sympathy and giving advice is being 'ignorant'.

Don't tell me that you'd favour the idea of a heart surgeon operating on you when they have severe social anxiety and demonstrate traits of being a ditherer. Medicine is a prestigious degree and because this gentleman dropped out he stopped somebody else from being able to do it because he didn't think he could handle the pressure of being a doctor. Sorry, but that's something you're supposed to figure out before you apply for medicine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

First of all this person said that their anxiety became a problem in their 3rd year (after their pre-clinical years), which means they got in on their enthusiasm and merit and they deserved that place. Things happen in med school, you cant help that.

Also they came on here to ask for advice and empathy, and from your post you have shown non of that!

Plus no one will ever prefer a doctor who had social anxiety but what you forget is that the problem does not make the person, its how they handle it. In some cases doctors that have faced things like these are better doctors because they are much more empathetic and confident towards their patients which can only be a good thing.
Original post by whisperingtears
I'm sorry but why are you putting words in his mouth? He didn't say that or suggest it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks but I found the quote below extremely poignant - implying you want a doctor free of "so much personal drama" is not helpful to this OP and I found it to be personally insulting.

It doesn't matter what your doctor has or hasn't experienced personally - it's about whether they can help you when you are the patient in their care.

My personal drama is not limited to this - but I won;t go into that here - but this comment below really hit a nerve.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
No, you misinterpreted what I said.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Then please clarify - because at the moment I am under the impression you wish only to be treated by doctors with flawless personal circumstances.
Original post by deviant182

Posted from TSR Mobile

true dat
(edited 10 years ago)
People will always have something going on their lives. And if a doctor has a flawless personal life..of which I highly doubt, in a CARING profession, are you thus expecting a doctor is not personally affected by losing a patient or has no emotional ties to any person they treat?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending