The Student Room Group

Oxbridge through a Simpleton's Eyes

Hey.
1175640_10151846745948764_1441718331_n.jpg
I'm Joe and in a few weeks I'm off to Cambridge. This is in spite of the fact the interviewers actually met me. For like an hour. But still gave me an offer - can't complain!

Every day I go through about twelve moodswings, ranging from excitement and giddiness, to boredom and loneliness, to the longest lingering: fear. To be honest I'm terrified. I mean, it's Cambridge. And this thread hasn't helped! Four of the cleverest people in history went there: Isaac Newton, Charles Darwin, Stephen Hawking and Will from the Inbetweeners.

Fortunately, I'm not studying Neoroscience, Assyriology or Law. Instead I opted for humble Geography, and yes I have plenty of colouring pencils. Thank you for your concern. You mock but without us, Crayola would have gone bust decades ago!

I've bought most of the crap I'll need - including £70 worth of stationary today! - except for my gown, or cape as I prefer to call it. So basically I've got two more weeks of sitting around watching Breaking Bad and stalking all my friends' photos of their crazy freshers fun until I trek up to what seems like the Temple of Doom. And to top it off, I'm easily susceptible to peer pressure:
1174525_10151589609884786_346750104_n.jpg

It'd be great if you could pretend to take in interest in my journey, so I have an excuse to go inside and internet when I fail to make any friends in the first few weeks.

Wish me luck!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Sounds great, although I do wonder why you posted this at 2:30 in the morning :biggrin:

Anyway, you're a blur fan so you have my approval :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Tabzqt
Sounds great, although I do wonder why you posted this at 2:30 in the morning :biggrin:

Anyway, you're a blur fan so you have my approval :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm pretty much noctural now. I occasionally get up in the morning - just! Oh and Breaking Bad day!

And if you'll pardon the pun 'Woo-hoo!'
Original post by St. Brynjar
Hey.
1175640_10151846745948764_1441718331_n.jpg
I'm Joe and in a few weeks I'm off to Cambridge. This is in spite of the fact the interviewers actually met me. For like an hour. But still gave me an offer - can't complain!

Every day I go through about twelve moodswings, ranging from excitement and giddiness, to boredom and loneliness, to the longest lingering: fear. To be honest I'm terrified. I mean, it's Cambridge. And this thread hasn't helped! Four of the cleverest people in history went there: Isaac Newton, Charles Darwin, Stephen Hawking and Will from the Inbetweeners.

Fortunately, I'm not studying Neoroscience, Assyriology or Law. Instead I opted for humble Geography, and yes I have plenty of colouring pencils. Thank you for your concern. You mock but without us, Crayola would have gone bust decades ago!

I've bought most of the crap I'll need - including £70 worth of stationary today! - except for my gown, or cape as I prefer to call it. So basically I've got two more weeks of sitting around watching Breaking Bad and stalking all my friends' photos of their crazy freshers fun until I trek up to what seems like the Temple of Doom. And to top it off, I'm easily susceptible to peer pressure:
1174525_10151589609884786_346750104_n.jpg

It'd be great if you could pretend to take in interest in my journey, so I have an excuse to go inside and internet when I fail to make any friends in the first few weeks.

Wish me luck!

You're post made laugh, especially the bit about Geography students keeping Crayola in business! :biggrin:
I'm on a year out and I've spent the past few days stalking all my friends' freshers photos, makes me want to be fresher so much!
Reply 4
5 days to go!

Anxiety has been replaced buy complete excitement. My first friends went off to uni about a month ago and I've been counting down the days ever since. There's still going to be a mad dash through the shops (haven't got a pencil case, a bike lock, an alarm clock, a laundry bag and various other decorative things) although fortunately I have got my priorities right:
Attachment not found

People are starting to arrive at my college, Trinity Hall, and seemingly doing everything in their power to make me insanely jealous by posting photos like this:
Tit Wall.jpg

It's weird small a deal this feels - all my friends have already made the move and are well in to lectures so I feel as though it's easy, when in fact I'm moving out on Saturday! I'm sure it'll sink in soon enough, I'm seeing my girlfriend for the last time before I go away on Wednesday. It's going to be tough but I can't wait :smile:
Reply 5
Loving your blog so far! Having done Geography for A2 I feel your pain with the colouring pencils jokes!

See you around Cambridge maybe! :biggrin:.
Reply 6
Keep up with the blog, made me smile. Masses of good luck for goodbyes and the move.
Reply 7
Original post by Natalie21
Loving your blog so far! Having done Geography for A2 I feel your pain with the colouring pencils jokes!

See you around Cambridge maybe! :biggrin:.

Original post by Collosopede
Keep up with the blog, made me smile. Masses of good luck for goodbyes and the move.

Thank you very much both of you! Fingers crossed I might have something exciting to write about soon, like leaving the house.
Reply 8
5 days to go!

Anxiety has been replaced buy complete excitement. My first friends went off to uni about a month ago and I've been counting down the days ever since. There's still going to be a mad dash through the shops (haven't got a pencil case, a bike lock, an alarm clock, a laundry bag and various other decorative things) although fortunately I have got my priorities right:
Attachment not found

People are starting to arrive at my college, Trinity Hall, and seemingly doing everything in their power to make me insanely jealous by posting photos like this:
Tit Wall.jpg

It's weird small a deal this feels - all my friends have already made the move and are well in to lectures so I feel as though it's easy, when in fact I'm moving out on Saturday! I'm sure it'll sink in soon enough, I'm seeing my girlfriend for the last time before I go away on Wednesday. It's going to be tough but I can't wait :smile:

My friends are all leaving as well, it feels odd watching everybody seem to have a wild time at their respective Fresher's nights whilst I'm sitting on my ass watching Mad Men.

I know this is a weird query, but are you the St Brynjar of HobNob forum fame as well? If not ignore that very strange question.
Reply 9
Original post by cpmurph
My friends are all leaving as well, it feels odd watching everybody seem to have a wild time at their respective Fresher's nights whilst I'm sitting on my ass watching Mad Men.

I know this is a weird query, but are you the St Brynjar of HobNob forum fame as well? If not ignore that very strange question.

ainsley-harriott.png
Reply 10
Seinfeld+George+Wink+and+Nod.gif
From what I've read in this thread, OP you have a great personality, I doubt you'll have any trouble making friends.
Reply 12
I opted for humble Geography

What college are you at? I'm doing geography at Selwyn! :biggrin: I'm sure I'll bump into you at some point!
I'm starting this year too, and I'm just as nervous! (although the sitting around has unfortunately been replaced by realising I still had two essays to write...). I'll hopefully see you there sometime :smile:
Guess you're there now St. Brynjar. Hope you're settling in ok. Good luck!
Reply 15
Original post by shuheb789
From what I've read in this thread, OP you have a great personality, I doubt you'll have any trouble making friends.

:colondollar: Thanks!
Original post by nat.2013
What college are you at? I'm doing geography at Selwyn! :biggrin: I'm sure I'll bump into you at some point!

Original post by bellatrixb
I'm starting this year too, and I'm just as nervous! (although the sitting around has unfortunately been replaced by realising I still had two essays to write...). I'll hopefully see you there sometime :smile:

I'm at Trinity Hall. I hope I can meet some people out of my college, it all feels a bit insular at the moment!
Original post by Collosopede
Guess you're there now St. Brynjar. Hope you're settling in ok. Good luck!

I'm still here! I'm going on Saturday morning but I appreciate your luck-giving and fingers crossed it goes okay!
Reply 16
So, 2 days to go!

Today was bittersweet. I finished the bulk of my packing (which for me is extreme, I'm one of your night-before kind of guys) which is pretty satisfying, although I know I'll have forgotten something huge. But I also had to say goodbye to my girlfriend - she's still at college so we can't meet up again until...well who knows :frown: I'm hopeful we'll manage to meet up at least two or three times, but I'm a little concerned about my college's policy - I have to get written permission to stay a night outside the college! I only live just over two hours away so it's not quite as long distance as it could have been I guess :smile:

I'm not sure if waiting so long to go to uni has increased my anxiety or reduced it. On one hand I've seen all my friends go and it's not a big deal anymore. On the other, they all seem like they're having the time of their lives and they've all been so social yet I'm convinced I'm gonna be sitting in my room on TSR to hide from the awkwardness. If the blog posts are few and far between you can all breathe a collective sigh of relief. that I've done okay. Well either that or I couldn't get the internet working!

On another note, there's a Breaking Bad sized hole in my heart and it needs filling. I'm thinking Mad Men, The Wire, or Orange is the New Black. Can anyone vouch for one of those (or another!) series?

On another note, there's a Breaking Bad sized hole in my heart and it needs filling. I'm thinking Mad Men, The Wire, or Orange is the New Black. Can anyone vouch for one of those (or another!) series?

Orange is the new black is really good- I haven't watched any of the others, but can I suggest Orphan black? it's being re-shown on BBC3 at the moment.

Ray Donovan was quite good fun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_donovan

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2249007/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Enjoying the blog, mate.
Reply 19
Original post by bellatrixb
Orange is the new black is really good- I haven't watched any of the others, but can I suggest Orphan black? it's being re-shown on BBC3 at the moment.

You can suggest anything and I'll watch it! I'm a sucker for good TV.
Original post by cambio wechsel

Wicked, cheers, I'll check it out :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest