The Student Room Group

Transferring to a different uni for 2nd year

So basically I've just started History of Art at UEA, and I feel like I've made a mistake as I am not an overly sociable person, and I have moved 4 and half hours away and feel incredibly homesick.

Now I know I've only just started, but I'm the type of person who doesn't find it easy to make friends or anything like that, but that's not what I'm worried about.

Basically, I feel like I could get on okay for my first year by just working really hard and getting a good mark! But for personal reasons I feel like I would be much better off at a uni closer to my family and boyfriend, because I am currently finding it very difficult to find my appetite or be able to sleep because of just worrying.

So really what my question is, is do you think my insurance choice (who offered me a place based on my A Level results and do take 2nd year transfer students onto the same course) of Plymouth would allow me to transfer? And if so, how would I go about doing that?

I really don't want to drop out at all and restart my first year at Plymouth, but I feel like this place is way too far away and I'm not adapting well at all and I just feel like if I knew I could move closer next year then that would give me something to focus on instead of getting upset in my room every night! So yeah, I guess if my only option is to drop out then it might come to that, but wouldn't that make it harder to then reapply and start again?
This thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1781424 explains most of how transferring works.
Original post by yourcommoncrisis
So basically I've just started History of Art at UEA, and I feel like I've made a mistake as I am not an overly sociable person, and I have moved 4 and half hours away and feel incredibly homesick.

Now I know I've only just started, but I'm the type of person who doesn't find it easy to make friends or anything like that, but that's not what I'm worried about.

Basically, I feel like I could get on okay for my first year by just working really hard and getting a good mark! But for personal reasons I feel like I would be much better off at a uni closer to my family and boyfriend, because I am currently finding it very difficult to find my appetite or be able to sleep because of just worrying.

So really what my question is, is do you think my insurance choice (who offered me a place based on my A Level results and do take 2nd year transfer students onto the same course) of Plymouth would allow me to transfer? And if so, how would I go about doing that?

I really don't want to drop out at all and restart my first year at Plymouth, but I feel like this place is way too far away and I'm not adapting well at all and I just feel like if I knew I could move closer next year then that would give me something to focus on instead of getting upset in my room every night! So yeah, I guess if my only option is to drop out then it might come to that, but wouldn't that make it harder to then reapply and start again?

Oh dear, you sound like you are really in a crisis! :frown: More information is always a good thing - so please do click on the link provided by PQ and read about transferring.

BUT: I would also try and take a deep breath and definitely not make any rash moves. You sound conflicted: you are unhappy and lonely and worried about the future. All completely understandable emotions for a shy person in a completely new environment and away from home for the first time. But you also write that "I feel like I could get on okay for my first year by just working really hard and getting a good mark!"

I just wanted to give you two thoughts: one is to reassure you that what you're feeling is perfectly normal and a reasonable reaction to a big event. You can "own" it. But the second is that often, in life, the things worth doing are NOT easy. Have you ever seen League of Their Own? There's a great line in there, which the coach tells a talented player who is about to give up and who explains that it's too hard: "It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The "hard" is what makes it great." (Here a link to the clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndL7y0MIRE4)

The point is, feeling scared and anxious is not always a sign that you should give up. Sometimes. But not always. Sometimes it's just a sign that you have moved out of your comfort zone and you are somewhere new and different. There may be a way for you to move through the anxiety and worry and being able to do that may mean a lot to you in life later.

Sorry to go on. I was just moved by your predicament and wish you all the best!
Thanks, that really helped..

Honestly I've thought a lot about it, and since knowing how my course is going to be, I think I've lost interest in it since deciding what I was going to do..

I think I've decided (I am still going to talk to an advisor later on in the day) that I want to leave for now, get a job, get my driving licence, and perhaps commute to a closer uni doing a different course. Because the social aspect is the most troubling to me, and I feel personally like I'd be in a better position to study and get on well if I had the comfort of my own home to work from!
Thanks, that really helped..

Honestly I've thought a lot about it, and since knowing how my course is going to be, I think I've lost interest in it since deciding what I was going to do..

I think I've decided (I am still going to talk to an advisor later on in the day) that I want to leave for now, get a job, get my driving licence, and perhaps commute to a closer uni doing a different course.

If you are sure you want to leave, then dealing with this sooner rather than later is definitely the way to go. Please be aware that there will doubtless be financial consequences for leaving! There are quite a few threads at the moment on TSR on this very subject - quite a few students feeling, like you do, that they've made a mistake - and lots of information about what this will cost you. One student had to pay 25% of the year's tuition fees and others have reported how expensive was to get out of the accomodation contract.

My view from afar (for what it's worth) is that it is really VERY early to be deciding that you'll always be unhappy socially at UEA. So while from the practical side of things, sooner is better, I feel you should still try and keep an open mind about the university, at least until you've had your talk. This would be my advice to my daughter anyway. After all, with over 15,000 students, I'd imagine somewhere on campus there are some people who you'd get on with and some things to do that you would enjoy.

I feel personally like I'd be in a better position to study and get on well if I had the comfort of my own home to work from!

Just please do bear in mind that the university years are meant to help you transition from the time when "your own home" = the parental home, to a time when "your own home" is just that, your own home as an adult.

Whatever happens, I wish you masses of good luck!
Thanks a lot! Yeah, basically I have spoken to a few people and from that I have found out all of the financial consequences, and as it's so early on they're not bad at all! All I have to do for my accommodation is pay for the nights I have been here, and as for Student Loans, they haven't come through yet, and even if they do all I have to do is pay them back when I get it! All in all, I feel like being closer to home in general would comfort me, even if I wasn't necessarily living there!
Thanks for your response and that :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending