MoBlo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hello!

I will be travelling to uni mostly by motorbike, and was wondering whether there are any others doing this being able to tell me about parking there

- is it free/do they really check or do I REALLY have to get myself a permit and does that cost any money?
- In case of the first: can I access the campus via the cycle entries, such as the ones along Ashby Road?
- perfect places to park / are there assigned motorcycle spots?

I'm currently in the University of Hull, and here motorcycle parking is free and there are some assigned spots. I did email the parking company/department, but they didn't really tell me anything useful..: I asked them about the costs for a permit for my bike, but they just referred met to the site, and since mine is an old bike without emissions registered, I couldn't really figure it out... something I already told them, but well.. the person responsible for communication just knew how to refer to the website, I guess..

Thanks!
Diminutive
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
This is from the motorcycle societies FAQ webpage.

It looks like they haven't updated their info in a while though, so don't know if this is still correct.

http://www.lsu.co.uk/society/motorcycle/faqs/

Q: Where can I keep my motorcycle on campus?

A: First you need to register the bike with security. Go to the security building by the main entrance and they'll help you out.

Then you can get a key to a motorbike shed. There are two, one at Towers and one at Falkner/Eggington. To get a key ask the people in the security office and they'll tell you where to get one from.
If thats too far away talk to your individual hall commitee or sub wardens and they may know a place or let you use the bicycle sheds.
dhutch
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm not a biker, but there are bike on campus for sure.

If you daily commuting you may or may not want or need to use one of the sheds, there was always a couple of motorbikes outside the Mech End building by the cafe which always appears as secure as anywhere during the day. There was a bit of straight of (mountain/push) bike thefts from outside the wolfson building as the local scrotes worked out that due to 'privacy issues' because it fronted onto DC halls its was about the only area without CCTV. This has now been rectified with a suitable masked camera.

Ultimately, your going to be coming in on a bike either way. Speak to the people on the gatehouse on the first day, square it all up with them, tell them your going to join the motorclub, and by the end of the first week or two they will most likely be opening the gate as you approach it. They like to maintain an air of formality till they know you, but there all fairly sound, and its not uncommon for one or two of them to be members of the motorclub themselves.

I can also tell you, as an ex-committee member of the uni motorclub that the motorcycle club has merged with the motorbike club to provide better facilitates to both clubs members. The motorclub is a slightly odd lot normally, but they tend to be a fairly friendly bunch and the motorclub garage has most tools/equipment required for working on cars/bikes as well as some larger kit like mig welder, hydraulic press, etc as well as a storage container for project parts etc. Quite a few of the motorclub also had bikes as well as cars. We also ran a couple of trackdays and a nurburgring trip each year, as well as having an autotest car and a car trailer for members to use. The bike club has a few bike stands, tools, etc, as well as a second garage and a organise runs etc.

Not that three years on Ive still got a little bit of the recruitment drive left in me..... :P

I miss it have fun!!

Daniel
MoBlo
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Thanks both! A shed! What a luxury!

And a motorcycle club! Great, as long as they also cater for more quiet drivers I'll have a look at their page, and talk to the guys at the gate
dhutch
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Absolutely, as said, I wasn't in the bike club but am still an active member of the motorclub and they are working to incorporate everything the bike club did and stood for into the new merged club, and for the sake of twenty quid I would definitely get involved if your interested is any thing more than method of communing.
zingrock
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm not necessarily going to loughborough but if I pass the interview stage there's a good chance I will, and if I do, I fully intend on taking my motorbike. Has anyone got any experience in having a bike at uni? Is it a good idea?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (103)
13.22%
I'm not sure (34)
4.36%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (241)
30.94%
I have already dropped out (19)
2.44%
I'm not a current university student (382)
49.04%

Watched Threads