Emma_Janneve
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi guys! just thought I would tell everyone about my horrible experience with student finance and how ANGRY :mad: I am with them!...

So.. I'm estranged from my parents, have been since I was 18 and I have lived with my grandparents since then as well. Even if I did speak to my parents they would refuse to support me. So I applied for student finance in February 2013, They asked me to get a letter from a 'professional' stating that I am estranged from me parents.. So I got my course leader from college to write one and sent it in... It took them 3 months to reply saying that it wasn't good enough! So I paid £23 to my doctor's surgery for one of my doctors to write one instead.. I sent this in august by the time it was done and rang student finance again to make sure they had received it.. they had!, However apparently I didn't even need to do this now.. I was told that my grandparents could act as my sponsors and all I needed to do was have our household income assessed and it would be all sorted! ... so.. filled in 2 long forms and got some evidence that my granddad had to pay to get.. sent it all in.. got a text to say they had received it.. rang again to get an update.. and now they are saying that I'm not allowed to use my grandparents as sponsors! I was told I can use them if they become by 'legal guardians' BUT I'M 23 YEAR OLD!!!!!!... She said they have received my letter from my doctor and should be assessed in the next 3 weeks.. but if its not then I can't be means tested and I'll get nothing.. she mentioned another option that I could send in 3 years of my income so show that I've been self sufficient but I've had to have made over £7500 each year in order to do this.. 2 of the years I made around £16,000 but the 3 year before that I only made around 5k because I was an apprentice.. SO either way I'm going to get NOTHING to live on!!!

HOW IS THIS FAIR?!?!

Why do I have to be over 25 to apply as an independent when legally I am an adult!?

STUPID FINANCE IS A JOKE, THIS COUNTRY IS A JOKE & THE TORI'S NEED TO DO ONE!!! Life is made so easier for the richer. But when I try to go to uni and make a life for myself, its impossible!.... I've just started my course and now I'm panicking thinking I'm going to have to quit because of this stupid horrible uncaring company!!

askew116
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
SFE are beyond ridiculous.

My payment this term is being 'delayed' (it was due today but hasn't been paid). I phoned them and they 'said' I should get payment by Wednesday, but I'll believe it when I see it!

I've been reading comments on their FB page, and you're not alone. The same complaints keep coming up, especially with what you said about being told different things each time you contact them.
thegodofgod
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Ridiculous.

I sent my dad's P60 along with my mum's in the same envelope, back in March this year. They noticed my mum's was there, but didn't notice my dad's was. In early August - yes, 5 months down the line - I was told that they didn't have my dad's P60 (all the while it said on my SFE account online that my parents' incomes were being checked with HMRC). Spoke to an adviser over the phone and told him that the my dad's P60 was in the same envelope. He logged in to my account and noticed it was there.

Now, I apparently need to send in some sort of evidence that I'm eligible to receive a student loan. I mean why the **** would you want my parents' P60s in the first place, if you didn't then know that I would even be eligible for a student loan?!

Therefore, I haven't yet received a confirmation from SFE about my entitlement of getting a tuition fee loan. Rang SFE up again today and they said apparently I don't need the evidence of eligibility, and that they'll put my application through, which will take around 10 working days.

Not good enough, because my university starts this time next week!

****ing ridiculous, they really need to get their **** together.
CJKay
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi guys. Sorry about your situations.
TSR has a subsection for queries about Student Finance where your concerns can be answered by an official rep - you might have better luck asking about there.
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Emma_Janneve)
Hi guys! just thought I would tell everyone about my horrible experience with student finance and how ANGRY :mad: I am with them!...

So.. I'm estranged from my parents, have been since I was 18 and I have lived with my grandparents since then as well. Even if I did speak to my parents they would refuse to support me. So I applied for student finance in February 2013, They asked me to get a letter from a 'professional' stating that I am estranged from me parents.. So I got my course leader from college to write one and sent it in... It took them 3 months to reply saying that it wasn't good enough! So I paid £23 to my doctor's surgery for one of my doctors to write one instead.. I sent this in august by the time it was done and rang student finance again to make sure they had received it.. they had!, However apparently I didn't even need to do this now.. I was told that my grandparents could act as my sponsors and all I needed to do was have our household income assessed and it would be all sorted! ... so.. filled in 2 long forms and got some evidence that my granddad had to pay to get.. sent it all in.. got a text to say they had received it.. rang again to get an update.. and now they are saying that I'm not allowed to use my grandparents as sponsors! I was told I can use them if they become by 'legal guardians' BUT I'M 23 YEAR OLD!!!!!!... She said they have received my letter from my doctor and should be assessed in the next 3 weeks.. but if its not then I can't be means tested and I'll get nothing.. she mentioned another option that I could send in 3 years of my income so show that I've been self sufficient but I've had to have made over £7500 each year in order to do this.. 2 of the years I made around £16,000 but the 3 year before that I only made around 5k because I was an apprentice.. SO either way I'm going to get NOTHING to live on!!!

HOW IS THIS FAIR?!?!

Why do I have to be over 25 to apply as an independent when legally I am an adult!?

STUPID FINANCE IS A JOKE, THIS COUNTRY IS A JOKE & THE TORI'S NEED TO DO ONE!!! Life is made so easier for the richer. But when I try to go to uni and make a life for myself, its impossible!.... I've just started my course and now I'm panicking thinking I'm going to have to quit because of this stupid horrible uncaring company!!

You have to be over 25 because otherwise the majority of students, being adults, would be eligible to be assessed independently & that would be too expensive. It's nothing to do with the Tories, SFE has been around longer.

As far as student finance is concerned its not made easier for the richer. Those from well off backgrounds get a loan that might not even cover rent & either have to hope parents fork out or they have to work in term time whilst those from the poorest backgrounds get enough to pay rent & have taxpayer funded nights out without having to get a job.
lozzielizzie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's all wrong, am 24 years old almost 25. Starting uni this year myself, I went non means income, so only got basic maintenance loan this year which sucks. But better than having it on my parents income when I been earning my own income since I was 18 years old. Am lucky saved hard this year, so am comfortable but still a nightmare system. Next year I should be okay as will be classed independent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
missd_momo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Sorry about your situation. I totally understand as I'm kind of having the same problem with this ridiculous company. Basically I made change on my online account from applying for grant, maintenance loan and tuition fee loan to just tuition fee loan because I have been told that I would not be qualified to get grant and maintenance without providing parent's details, but then the day after I received a freaking letter regarding a letter from professional to proof that I am not financially supported by my parents. So I rang in and asked why they need that when I am not applying for grant anymore and they said to me you can ignore it, your new changes on the account would take 7 weeks to update and it would it another 2-3 weeks to process. They still haven't got back to me and enrolment is starting in two days time I have no idea if I could start my course without a confirmation of entitlement letter.
kririsu
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by thegodofgod)
Ridiculous.

I sent my dad's P60 along with my mum's in the same envelope, back in March this year. They noticed my mum's was there, but didn't notice my dad's was. In early August - yes, 5 months down the line - I was told that they didn't have my dad's P60 (all the while it said on my SFE account online that my parents' incomes were being checked with HMRC). Spoke to an adviser over the phone and told him that the my dad's P60 was in the same envelope. He logged in to my account and noticed it was there.

Now, I apparently need to send in some sort of evidence that I'm eligible to receive a student loan. I mean why the **** would you want my parents' P60s in the first place, if you didn't then know that I would even be eligible for a student loan?!

Therefore, I haven't yet received a confirmation from SFE about my entitlement of getting a tuition fee loan. Rang SFE up again today and they said apparently I don't need the evidence of eligibility, and that they'll put my application through, which will take around 10 working days.

Not good enough, because my university starts this time next week!

****ing ridiculous, they really need to get their **** together.
ugghh. Same. they had my application pending because they thought I hadn't sent my dads p60 in >( and then got told it'll take 2 weeks to fix that??? and now started uni and the application is still pending D:
Emma_Janneve
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Thanks for the info guys! Sorry to hear about your troubles aswell is awful! And stress along with it is a nightmare literally!!!! However... I had some interesting news today!! After whinging and complaining on facebook today ( on every status student finance wrote!) someone looked into my accout and rang me an hour later to tell me that they have finally accepted my estrangement letter and they are letting me have the full loan and grant!!! Thank god!!!! the bloke that rang me said theres a different dept that respond to people on facebook so just complain complain and complain on their page advertising how crap they are and they will sort something out!! good luck guys! xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
sianiiRw9910
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I’m exactly in the same boat!!!! Filled out a form wasn’t good enough! So got my neighbour who I have known for 3 years who is a police officer to write an official letter with all the information student finance said It needed to include and apparently it hasn’t been accepted again and will need to write another letter!!!! It’s a joke!!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (707)
33.91%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (891)
42.73%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (394)
18.9%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.46%

Watched Threads