The Student Room Group

Inequality question

Q. Solve the inequality |x + 3a| > 2|x 2a|, where a is a positive constant.

I managed to turn it into the quadratic form, 3x^2 - 22ax + 7a^2 > 0, but am not able to find the x values. Please help.
Original post by Maemi

I managed to turn it into the quadratic form, 3x^2 - 22ax + 7a^2 > 0, but am not able to find the x values. Please help.

You could always use a sketch to help you work out the inequality without having to resort to the quadratic. :smile:

Hint

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Khallil
You could always use a sketch to help you work out the inequality without having to resort to the quadratic. :smile:

Ok, will try that. Thanx
Original post by Khallil

Hint

Your quadratic factorises quite easily.
Original post by Maemi

Should be 3x^2 - 22ax + 7a^2 < 0
Reply 5
Original post by Maemi

Re: solving the quadratic...

Write y = x/a, then 3x^2 - 22ax + 7a^2 becomes a^2(3y^2 - 22y + 7). You can either factorize this by inspection or use the quadratic formula.
Reply 6
Original post by Maemi

Without quadratic: you have 3 cases
1) x>=2a
x+3a>2(x2a)x<7a2a<=x<7ax+3a>2(x-2a) \rightarrow x<7a \rightarrow 2a<=x<7a

2) -3a<=x<2a, then
x+3a>2(2ax)3x>ax>a3a3<x<2ax+3a>2(2a-x) \rightarrow 3x>a \rightarrow x>\frac{a}{3} \rightarrow \frac{a}{3}<x<2a

3) x<-3a
x3a>2(2ax)x>7a-x-3a>2(2a-x) \rightarrow x>7a so no solution here

Summarizing
a3<x<7a\frac{a}{3}<x<7a
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest