The Student Room Group

BBB at AS Level..should I apply for Unis requiring AAA-AAB?

I have been considering which universities I want to apply for this year and I really want to get into a Russel Group university. I got BBB in Economics, English Literature and Sociology and a D in Maths which i dropped after AS. I was 1 UMS mark off an A in Sociology which i have now sent back for a remark. I want to study Economics & Politics at Uni and I am wondering whether it is worth applying to Unis asking for AAA-AAB?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
As long as you can get your teachers to predict you AAA-AAB, then yeah, of course you have a chance :smile:
Universities recognise that many people improve from AS to A2! Good luck with your application!
Reply 2
I would say yes, especially if you apply for a course requires an interview and portfolio. For my own experience, I did apply for a RG uni with predict grade BBC, and got an interview and a conditional offer. But I do very badly in A2 exam so end up in a average uni as insurance. Anyway, if you have confident to keep your grade up, then you can have a try.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Economics is a very competitive subject at University.As a result Unis can be very picky about who they take.

Unis asking for AAA (the lower grade is for 'contextual offers') will choose those who have the best chance of getting the grades. Unless your teachers can do some fast talking in your reference, the jump from BBB to AAA might be considered not 'the best chance'.

Even if you do get an offer - can you get the grades? Its pointless holding a Firm offer for a course that is actually outside your reach as the above post illustrates.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Absolutely! If you think about it, a B at AS arguably is equal to A at A2 (because an A at AS could be "matched" with A* at A2)

If that makes any sense.

But yeah, definitely apply.
You need to look at your predicted grades these determine if you will be offered a place at the university. Generally schools put the predicted grade one above what you got at As level.However you have to consider if these are achieveable if you belive that you could get the A at Alevel then apply to better universitys offering AAA if you dont there is no point waisting your choices. It is also dependent on what Alevels you are taking 'soft' subjects such as media, photography, film studies, sociology, busness studies ect. will be fairly easy to get the A at the A2 however proper subjects such as Chemistry, Maths, Physics, Further Maths, History, Geography become far more difficut at A2 and this needs to be taken into accout when making your choices. You should always have a back up option and maybe a range of choices from AAB-BCC would be realistic just incase there are any problems you don't want to deal with the stress of clearing and maybe one AAA choice as an asperational target!
Reply 6
Original post by Катя
Absolutely! If you think about it, a B at AS arguably is equal to A at A2 (because an A at AS could be "matched" with A* at A2)

What do you mean?
Reply 7
Original post by llys
What do you mean?

Top 3 grades at AS:

Highest = A
2nd highest = B
3rd highest = C

Top 3 grades at A2:

Highest = A*
2nd highest = A
3rd highest = B

Therefore, couldn't you argue that an A at AS = A* at A2, and B at AS = A at A2?
Reply 8
Oh. But the percentages required do stay the same so,

to get an A at AS you need to get at least 80%
to get an A at A2 you need to get at least 80%

and A2 is supposed to be more difficult than AS, so it should be harder to get the same percentage?
Original post by Катя
Top 3 grades at AS:

Highest = A
2nd highest = B
3rd highest = C

Top 3 grades at A2:

Highest = A*
2nd highest = A
3rd highest = B

Therefore, couldn't you argue that an A at AS = A* at A2, and B at AS = A at A2?

That's stupid, the A* isn't in place of the A it is simply added above it in the 90% spot so your logic is wrong.
Reply 10
Original post by pythagorean
I have been considering which universities I want to apply for this year and I really want to get into a Russel Group university. I got BBB in Economics, English Literature and Sociology and a D in Maths which i dropped after AS. I was 1 UMS mark off an A in Sociology which i have now sent back for a remark. I want to study Economics & Politics at Uni and I am wondering whether it is worth applying to Unis asking for AAA-AAB?

Nooo

Posted from TSR Mobile
You can, but I would advise no more than one or two at those grades, and other choices at BBB or lower. Once you have offers, you don't have to confirm your firm/insurance until early May. By then you will have a much better idea as to what grades you are realistically going to get. Oh, and work like mad!
Reply 12
I would consider to vary your choices. You could do 1-2 with AAA-AAB, 1 with ABB, 1 with BBB and one with BBC (or lower)
If you are doing A-levels, universities will look at your AS results and not just predictions. Make sure predictions seem realistic.
Reply 13
Original post by llys
Oh. But the percentages required do stay the same so,

to get an A at AS you need to get at least 80%
to get an A at A2 you need to get at least 80%

Oh right, thanks - I didn't know, I'm not too familiar with the marking
Reply 14
The problem here is that a lot of universities will either demand maths at A2 or have it as a preference. Stopping at AS with a D doesn't look good and it's putting a constraint on the number of places you can apply to.

EDIT: Before I get negged again: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Economics_Degree
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15
I'd say apply to one.

Surely for that course most Russel Group uni's would expect maths as well? Or at least a B+ at AS level?
Reply 16
Original post by Charlzi
I would consider to vary your choices. You could do 1-2 with AAA-AAB, 1 with ABB, 1 with BBB and one with BBC (or lower)
If you are doing A-levels, universities will look at your AS results and not just predictions. Make sure predictions seem realistic.

I think this is a good idea :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not taking maths to A2 pretty much rules you out of most RG unis to study economics.
Original post by Катя

If that makes any sense.

But yeah, definitely apply.

No. Horrendous advice.
Reply 19
Original post by chelseafan
Not taking maths to A2 pretty much rules you out of most RG unis to study economics.

The only one ruled out is Edinburgh which requires maths. Birmingham doesn't require maths for joint honours. Leeds, Manchester, Nottingham, Glasgow, Newcastle and Sheffield all don't specify maths a level.

Quick Reply

Latest