The Student Room Group

What's the jump between AS and A2 maths like?

I've just started doing C3 and C4 and so far it's manageable, but we've been studying the easier chapters of C3 so I suspect it'll only get a lot harder. I found C1 and C2 relatively straight forward, and I don't expect C3 and C4 to be really easy, but in your experiences would you say it was doable?

Also, could you post your UMS scores for C1, 2, 3 and 4? I'd just like to get an idea of the difference between how people performed in A2 maths compared to AS.

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
The papers are a bit more demanding at times but if any it just makes them more enjoyable as AS Maths is pretty dull throughout. There is slightly more demanding about the content too, but that's to be expected, if you found AS easy then I wouldn't think it would be beyond you at all. It is definitely doable, just stay on top of the work and make sure you do all of the past papers before you have to sit the exams.

UMS

Reply 2
For me the jump was significant. I found the jump from AS to A2 harder than from GCSE to AS. In my mind maths is always doable with practice, it's just getting used to the material and types of problems.
Reply 3
It depends how good your understanding of AS maths is :smile: If you don't understand the AS material then you are running the second half of the marathon with an Achilles' heel!
Reply 4
Depends on how hard you work. I thought AS was easier, but I did better in the A2 exams. The jump from AS to A2 is bigger than from GCSE to AS, but you should be better at maths now, and you should be able to manage.

My UMS scores were:

C1: 89
C2: 80
C3: 97
C4: 95

As long as you understand everything you'll be fine. I did far more past papers for C3 and C4, so I think my exam technique was a lot better (in terms of not making silly mistakes).
Reply 5
I found the jump from AS to doing C3 and C4 pretty big tbh

C3 I revised like an machine and literally learnt everything and couldn't of done anymore but just couldn't get 90ums or more which was gutting tbh.

I found C4 okay tbh only problem is there are usually loads of places to slip up, but it's the exam I got the highest out of all my maths modules so :woo:
Reply 6
C3 and C4 are considerably harder than C1 and C2 but doable! I scored better at A2, because I was aiming for an A*, and the topics were harder, so I put more work in!

UMS:

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest