The Student Room Group

Going To Flat Parties

Is it REALLY okay to just casually walk into a flat party at uni halls, and that's seen as okay or normal? Maybe even a good thing as it adds to the numbers?

My older sister (who went to university for 4 years), Student Associates at the uni, and also some-guy-I-met-and-asked-randomly, all say that it's generally okay to walk in if you want, but everything I've thought before strongly says otherwise.

There's usually a lot of parties going on and I really want to get involved in it all (experience uni life etc). There's one going near me right now but I feel I'll be intruding and it'll be rude, but everyone else seemingly says otherwise.

Should I go? I'm a nice person btw so I'm not planning on starting riots or such. I just really want to go in, talk to new people, maybe play a few drinking games and just not sit by myself at night :smile: .
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Obviously it's fine. Where are your flat mates? We did everything together in our first week.
Reply 2
If its freshers, why not, but if you are going to go in, be open and willing to introduce yourself, don't go in and be a socially awkward lemon.
Reply 3
Original post by Deshi
Obviously it's fine. Where are your flat mates? We did everything together in our first week.

They're away for a week on a sports training camp. I'm on my own right now so I'd be going by myself (I know that might sound a bit sad but I'd far rather that than sitting in all night).
Reply 4
Original post by Puny Earthling
They're away for a week on a sports training camp. I'm on my own right now so I'd be going by myself (I know that might sound a bit sad but I'd far rather that than sitting in all night).

definitely go! I'm sure you'll be more than welcome, i went to a halls party and i don't even live in halls haha
Reply 5
Original post by ElChapo
If its freshers, why not, but if you are going to go in, be open and willing to introduce yourself, don't go in and be a socially awkward lemon.

No, that was last week, right now is basically the first week of real work time.

Would that make a difference?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
No, that was last week, right now is basically the first week of real work time.

Lol, so what its the monday after, you're still new, go now before its too late!
Is it REALLY okay to just casually walk into a flat party at uni halls, and that's seen as okay or normal? Maybe even a good thing as it adds to the numbers?

My older sister (who went to university for 4 years), Student Associates at the uni, and also some-guy-I-met-and-asked-randomly, all say that it's generally okay to walk in if you want, but everything I've thought before strongly says otherwise.

There's usually a lot of parties going on and I really want to get involved in it all (experience uni life etc). There's one going near me right now but I feel I'll be intruding and it'll be rude, but everyone else seemingly says otherwise.

Should I go? I'm a nice person btw so I'm not planning on starting riots or such. I just really want to go in, talk to new people, maybe play a few drinking games and just not sit by myself at night :smile: .

Be prepared for the most cripplingly awkward moment as you walk into the party, someone turns the music off, and everyone turns around and stares at you. The words you say at this moment will make or break your night, so choose carefully. Keep it to a maximum of 25-30 words, none over 3 syllables, and speak loudly and confidently, aim to make eye contact with whoever appears to be the host. Bring alcohol.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
For people in the same hall as you, especially in the first few weeks, it's advisable to go along to any parties they hold - you could meet some new friends there, and at the least you'll probably have a good time. In Freshers and a little beyond, everyone is in the same position of being alone and truly independent for an extended period, which many people are not used to. This means that in those weeks everyone is very eager to meet friends and so the usual social conventions are chucked out the window somewhat.
Reply 9

Ah okay, you should go. The easiest time to make friends is in your first year, especially this early on. If the party is near you you'll probably see these people pretty often as well.
Original post by marcus2001
Be prepared for the most cripplingly awkward moment as you walk into the party, someone turns the music off, and everyone turns around and stares at you. The words you say at this moment will make or break your night, so choose carefully. Keep it to a maximum of 25-30 words, none over 3 syllables, and speak loudly and confidently, aim to make eye contact with whoever appears to be the host. Bring alcohol.

"I brought booze"
Surely the hosts would be a bit annoyed if people they didn't even invite started showing up at their place out of nowhere?

Thanks a lot for the replies btw :smile: but forgive me, I seem to be pretty socially awkward in this case.

I can hear the music and talking, but how do I know it's an open party and not a group of people who are all already close friends and it's a more exclusive party?
(edited 10 years ago)
Surely the hosts would be a bit annoyed if people they didn't even invite started showing up at their place out of nowhere?

Thanks a lot for the replies btw :smile: but forgive me, I seem to be pretty socially awkward in this case.

I can hear the music and talking, but how do I know it's an open party and not a group of people who are all already close friends and it's a more exclusive party?

I have two lines that turn a closed party into an open party;

"I brought booze"

"I brought drugs"

If that fails you leave with your booze and/or drugs and find someone else who would like to partake in your generosity.
Reply 13
Its clear the OP wont go by now lol.
Original post by ElChapo
Its clear the OP wont go by now lol.

Hahaha, no, it's 1:30am now, I really should have asked and thought about this earlier!

Also when you say it's okay as it's just after freshers week, what about later on in the year, say November onwards?
(edited 10 years ago)
Definitely, especially at this time of year. More the merrier!

Posted from TSR Mobile
How can you just walk to a flat party and expect to make friends ? What do you say..."so I was just strolling, heard some music noises, thought them were nice...what you doing dawg ?" If I was the host I would be like...:lolwut: !
Original post by Fashion Girl
How can you just walk to a flat party and expect to make friends ? What do you say..."so I was just strolling, heard some music noises, thought them were nice...what you doing dawg ?" If I was the host I would be like...:lolwut: !

That's what I worried about, that and it actually being a closed party between a group of friends.
That's what I worried about, that and it actually being a closed party between a group of friends.
If your bored then join societies, they usually have club nights on most nights!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Fashion Girl

"Hi my name is X, my flatmates aren't up for going out tonight so I wondered if I could join you guys?"

To be honest, chances are that if you just knock on the door they'll wave you in with no questions asked because they assume that you're someone else's friend / coursemate. Even in second year houses this happens during house parties - there was one occasion in my second year when a few people had made pains of themselves during a house party and it was only the next day that we realised they were random neighbours that no one knew :s-smilie: We never would have discussed it and therefore realised if they hadn't been pains...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending