The Student Room Group

inevitable failure or go for it?

Hi guys

I am a hopeful future applicant for 2015 entry and was hoping to get a bit of advice. I graduated with a biochemistry degree back in 2008 (2:1) and have been working as a lab assistant last 4 years. Before that I did 4 years as a HCA and am currently working for the ambulance service. I Recently decided to go wholeheartedly for grad med.

Qualifications: GNVQ health and social care
Access to Health Sciences
BSc Biochemistry 2:1

I am planning to take intensive alevels this year.

1) I am assuming I need to take A-level Bio and Chem at minimum A or better. Should I add more alevels?

2) I know Bmat is a given, but I'm wondering whether there's good solid advice out there that could help me get to oxford.

3) besides uk open college, is there any distance learning places that anyone found really good?

4) besides Campbell Harris, is there any centre to take practicals and coursework assessment for bio and Chem that are really good? And are reasonably priced?

5) is oxford even a possibility for me or should I just give up on it?

Any advice would be welcome...
Original post by luusha
Hi guys

I am a hopeful future applicant for 2015 entry and was hoping to get a bit of advice. I graduated with a biochemistry degree back in 2008 (2:1) and have been working as a lab assistant last 4 years. Before that I did 4 years as a HCA and am currently working for the ambulance service. I Recently decided to go wholeheartedly for grad med.

Qualifications: GNVQ health and social care
Access to Health Sciences
BSc Biochemistry 2:1

I am planning to take intensive alevels this year.

1) I am assuming I need to take A-level Bio and Chem at minimum A or better. Should I add more alevels?

2) I know Bmat is a given, but I'm wondering whether there's good solid advice out there that could help me get to oxford.

3) besides uk open college, is there any distance learning places that anyone found really good?

4) besides Campbell Harris, is there any centre to take practicals and coursework assessment for bio and Chem that are really good? And are reasonably priced?

5) is oxford even a possibility for me or should I just give up on it?

Any advice would be welcome...

1. Check the requirements of the universities you are applying to - some may accept your Biochemistry degree as showing knowledge of Chemistry and Biology beyond A level, or may accept your access course. If they do require the actual A levels then you probably only need the two - unless they ask for three (phone them to check their requirements). If you do need to pick a third A level, I would recommend picking something like maths since it would probably be fairly easy after your Biochemistry degree, as well as helping with the more maths-y topics in chemistry A level if you haven't already done them in your previous degree.
2. Sorry, don't ask me! I think there's a few good books on how to ace the BMAT, and you should probably do some practice papers.
3. No idea
4. Have you considered asking local sixth form colleges? You may find that they will let you take the exams and coursework for a much more affordable price.
5. If you don't try you can't succeed! I personally reckon it's worth applying, but for better advice try phoning their admissions department or one of the colleges you are interested in to ask how they would view your application.
Reply 2
Thank you for your advice! I'm going to phone them and send copies of my qualifications to admissions to get a clear idea then as well as check with 6th form centres (I've just checked main colleges so far)

Thanks again...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending