The Student Room Group

Law textbooks recommendations

Does anyone have any textbook recommendations for an LLB undergraduate student who didn't study Law at a-level? I'd like something to give me the necessary background knowledge to aid my learning. Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Please make sure not to buy ANY books that are not on your reading list. I have known students to buy so many books and spend hundreds of pounds reading EVERYTHING but what the lecturer wants you to read.

But introductory texts to Law are fine. I would recommend 'The Rule of Law' by Tom Bingham. Bingham was a highly distinguished judge until his death a few years back. He is known, amongst other things, of making complex legal jargon sound simple through is written commentary. You will enjoy the read.

Good luck for next year
Reply 2
Original post by FantastiqueJaque
Please make sure not to buy ANY books that are not on your reading list. I have known students to buy so many books and spend hundreds of pounds reading EVERYTHING but what the lecturer wants you to read.

But introductory texts to Law are fine. I would recommend 'The Rule of Law' by Tom Bingham. Bingham was a highly distinguished judge until his death a few years back. He is known, amongst other things, of making complex legal jargon sound simple through is written commentary. You will enjoy the read.

Good luck for next year

Thanks for your reply (as you can see I'm struggling for a response here) totally agree with what you're saying and quite frankly I don't even have the money to do so haha! I've only purchased the core texts however I'm looking for something basic with a few definitions etc here and there so that I can get a grasp on what is being referred to in lectures. I'm even considering a GCSE book because I just want something rather condensed. Do you have any recommendations for this at all?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
If you're looking for something with very basic definitions etc I wouldn't buy a GCSE text but a lawexpress, nutshells or concentrate book. These revision guides are definitely not to be relied upon for exams but for a quick reference of a definition or a simple introduction to a confusing topic they can be very helpful!

I would also recommend Legal Skills by Finch & Fafinski this will help you with referencing, the basics of law reading and researching. How to write essays, answer problem questions and take effective notes in lectures and tutorials!

Ask lots of questions in tutorials about things you don't understand, you may think you sound really silly but trust me lots of other people will be sitting asking the exact same thing, equally embarrassed to speak up! If you don't ask, you don't get! :smile:

Good luck and don't worry about not studying law at A-Level most people won't have either!! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by B104
If you're looking for something with very basic definitions etc I wouldn't buy a GCSE text but a lawexpress, nutshells or concentrate book. These revision guides are definitely not to be relied upon for exams but for a quick reference of a definition or a simple introduction to a confusing topic they can be very helpful!

Don't get either nutshells or lawexpress, both are bad in my opinion the former atrocious.

Best Intro books are the 'Introduction to...Law' usually written by authors of an actual textbook on it.

Here's contract by Adams and Brownsword for example: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Understanding-Contract-Law-John-Adams/dp/1847031161
Reply 5
Original post by ell-
Thanks for your reply (as you can see I'm struggling for a response here) totally agree with what you're saying and quite frankly I don't even have the money to do so haha! I've only purchased the core texts however I'm looking for something basic with a few definitions etc here and there so that I can get a grasp on what is being referred to in lectures. I'm even considering a GCSE book because I just want something rather condensed. Do you have any recommendations for this at all?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I found Jacqueline Martin's "A-Z of Law" useful (at A Level, admittedly, although I only scratched the surface) for quick and easy definitions.

Original post by roh
Don't get either nutshells or lawexpress, both are bad in my opinion the former atrocious.

Best Intro books are the 'Introduction to...Law' usually written by authors of an actual textbook on it.

Here's contract by Adams and Brownsword for example: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Understanding-Contract-Law-John-Adams/dp/1847031161

I don't recall ever reading "Introduction to..." books, although I can vouch for the "Concentrate" book(s) being surprisingly good. The EU one definitely saved my skin!
Reply 6
Original post by Tortious

I don't recall ever reading "Introduction to..." books, although I can vouch for the "Concentrate" book(s) being surprisingly good. The EU one definitely saved my skin!

Ahhh, I never encountered 'concentrate', useful to know another quick series though for my inevitable floundering on the actual law come elective time.

How goes the LPC incidentally?
Reply 7
Original post by roh
Ahhh, I never encountered 'concentrate', useful to know another quick series though for my inevitable floundering on the actual law come elective time.

How goes the LPC incidentally?

Crazily busy. I had two supervisions today and finished at 4pm, so I was pretty pleased and looking forward to spending the weekend in London tomorrow.

I decided the best use of tonight would be to draw up a to-do list ready for next week. My next Business Law supervision is HUGE (starting by reading about 30 sections of the Companies Act 2006, which is the "easiest" part), so we'll see! It's surprisingly enjoyable so far though. :awesome:

What are you up to these days? :holmes: (Feel free to PM me if you'd rather to keep things on topic.)
Reply 8
Disagree with the non-reading list point - especially with casebooks.

If you are taking Criminal or Family, recommend looking through anything by Jonathan Herring if it isn't on your reading list.

It could be that your core text is as dry as old bones. You'll need the core text for the references, but you might find something you've chosen yourself more readable.

On top of that, it depends if you're really into it or not. You're not really going to get a deeper understanding of key cases without reading a bit more about them. Likewise, something like Atiyah's Accidents isn't going to be a core text for anyone, but if you want to be thinking liability / negligence politics it's the place to start.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending