The Student Room Group

Edinburgh - English Literature, and English and Scottish Literature question.

Hey all, :smile:

Although I've tried my best to keep an open mind about universities, I'm very eager to have Edinburgh as my first choice for many reasons. I'm still looking around, but nowhere has stood out so much, and I've been to quite a few places by this point. They have two straight Literature courses there; English Literature, and English and Scottish Literature.

I'll definitely be applying for the English Literature course, but the English and Scottish Literature course looks interesting too. Looking at the relationship between literature and national identity is something that sounds as if I'd enjoy. In terms of a personal statement, mine is geared towards English literature. There are Scottish writers I could talk about, however. I have a while to finish it. I was just wondering that if I was to apply for the English and Scottish Literature course, if a personal statement that's English Literature based would be a significant disadvantage?

I like the idea of applying for both courses, as I know that you can apply for up to two at the university, and I feel I would thoroughly enjoy both. I just wanted opinions as to if applying for both will be in an way a disadvantage to my chances of getting in for either? And if my personal statement should be significantly Scottish as well as English Literature-based to stand a good chance for the English and Scottish Literature course?

Also, do you think it would be a good to email their admissions and get the information about this from the horse's mouth, so to speak? :smile:

Thanks in advance :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Could no-one give me some advice on this? It's quite a specific query, I suppose, so I won't be surprised if no one can.
Reply 2
Hey- I'm afraid i cant give you much advice on this- I myself am applying for English and Scottish Literature. Do you mind telling me what grades you have/ predicted to get? Edinburgh is my golden choice- i would love nothing more than to go to Edinburgh Uni, but I'm not too hopeful with the grades that I have. Also i've always been confused with their minimum BBB- typical AAA! I hope they do consider me, i worked extremely hard on my personal statement, so i'm hoping that will make up for my grades to some extent. But who knows! I've also applied to Glasgow which i would also be happy with, and its only an hour away from Edinburgh!

Good luck with your application, let me know what you decided to do!

If i were you, I would pick on or the other. I know its difficult, but Uni's are pretty flexible once your in, and you can choose your modules to lean more or less towards scottish literature.
Reply 3
Original post by rnorfolk1
Do you mind telling me what grades you have/ predicted to get? Edinburgh is my golden choice- i would love nothing more than to go to Edinburgh Uni, but I'm not too hopeful with the grades that I have. Also i've always been confused with their minimum BBB- typical AAA!

I'm applying for Philosophy and English Literature at Edinburgh! I would be over the moon if I got an offer but I very much doubt I will. I got AABC at AS and I'm predicted AAAB at A2. I have already got an A in English Literature though. What are your grades?

Their minimum offer thing confuses me too, I'm just not setting my hopes on getting in!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending