The Student Room Group

Same-sex marriage and religion

Should same-sex marriage ceremonies be allowed to take place in ALL religious premises?

Scroll to see replies

They should not be forced to carry out same-sex marriages.

In the religions I know of, marriage is between opposite sexes, so its mostly likely they won't agree.
Reply 2
Fair point. Do you believe it is for the Religion, not the State, to define Marriage and choose who they allow into their practices? Or do you believe that it will hard to change a historical stance?
Reply 3
Original post by SAF1991
Fair point. Do you believe it is for the Religion, not the State, to define Marriage and choose who they allow into their practices? Or do you believe that it will hard to change a historical stance?

Well, marriage predates religion, so it's not up to them to define it.
Reply 4
Never, and they cannot enforce such an atrocity.
Reply 5
Original post by Reform
Never, and they cannot enforce such an atrocity.

If it's non-religious, or a religion which doesn't mind, what's the problem?
Reply 6
It depends on the institution. If they are happy to carry out a gay marriage, then there is no problem, but an institution should never be forced to do so though.
It shouldn't be down to the institution, it should be down to the individual priest. If the priest is happy to conduct the ceremony in his/her church then the institution shouldn't be allowed to overrule him/her.
Reply 8
No it's plain disgusting an inhumane.
proud to be an homophobe.
In my opinion, yes they should but it is highly unlikely seeing as almost every religion condems homosexuality :/. I think thats unfair, but to be honest if you were looking for a same sex marriage why carry it out in a church? Just go out with a massive party! Religion defines you, and what you follow and what you believe, for some people its god and for others its football so why not carry it out in your own style? Im not saying that you cant believe in god and be homosexual, but if you wanted to carry out a marriage in a church ( most people do, because they're religious - speaking globally, seeing as most brits are atheists )..but being homosexual usually lands you with a one way ticket to hell which ever religion you believe in ( if you're wanting to carry it out in a church because of your religious views ); whether it be christianity, islam or jewdism
Original post by BefuddledPenguin
It shouldn't be down to the institution, it should be down to the individual priest. If the priest is happy to conduct the ceremony in his/her church then the institution shouldn't be allowed to overrule him/her.

Sadly, there's no "his/her" in this situation. Women can't be priests :frown::frown: ...made slightly less sad by the fact that I misspelled and wrote "women can't be pirates"!
I think all should have the option to, but none should be forced to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rochelly123

Surely you're not serious? Particularly with the latter...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rochelly123

Complain against it all you want, homosexuality happens in the majority of species, it's as natural as heterosexuality and bisexuality. The only people against it are fundamentalists and ignorant people. And inhumane? As opposed to murder, rape, mass genocide and child & animal abuse? There is no logical argument against homosexuality. What is specifically disgusting about two people of the same sex loving each other and harming no-one else in the process?
Original post by IdeasForLife
They should not be forced to carry out same-sex marriages.

In the religions I know of, marriage is between opposite sexes, so its mostly likely they won't agree.
I would agree if 50% of al churches would allow gay mariage, 50% sounds right to me ! Unless the churche gets money from the state ( tax payers money ) , then they should go for the 100%
Reply 15
I support gay marriage but I don't believe the state has any right to tell private businesses what to do.

Make no mistake, Churches, Private Schools, ect get no funding from the state and therefore the state should stay the hell out of it.

If a state funded church married homosexuals, then I'd freely support it, and so should everyone else that isn't a total dumbass.
Reply 16
Original post by IbanezTotoro
Complain against it all you want, homosexuality happens in the majority of species, it's as natural as heterosexuality and bisexuality. The only people against it are fundamentalists and ignorant people. And inhumane? As opposed to murder, rape, mass genocide and child & animal abuse? There is no logical argument against homosexuality. What is specifically disgusting about two people of the same sex loving each other and harming no-one else in the process?

It's quite true that you find incidents of homosexuality in the animal kingdom but it is also true that you find many other things that people consider abhorrent things like cannabilism, incest, infanticide, rape. Should these things be accepted by society aswell? Heaven forbid. Our morality should not be defined by what we see occuring amongst animals.

You also ask 'what is wrong with to people of the same sex loving each other?' the answer is nothing. Brothers love each other, sisters love each other, daughters love their mothers, friends love each other, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, infact it is commendable.

But homosexuality isn't about loving someone of the same sex it is about lusting after someone of the same sex, having sexual desire for them and acting on these desires and this is wrong.

Now ofcourse you will probably say now ask 'why is it wrong?' and my answer will be because God forbids it.

'Well' you say 'I don't believe in God' and thats fair enough but then my question to you would be 'then how can you say anything is morally wrong?' if there is no God then there is no objective morality and anyone can do whatever they like because morality becomes nothing more than a matter of opinion.
Reply 17
Original post by Blue is back
In my opinion, yes they should but it is highly unlikely seeing as almost every religion condems homosexuality :/. I think thats unfair, but to be honest if you were looking for a same sex marriage why carry it out in a church? Just go out with a massive party! Religion defines you, and what you follow and what you believe, for some people its god and for others its football so why not carry it out in your own style? Im not saying that you cant believe in god and be homosexual, but if you wanted to carry out a marriage in a church ( most people do, because they're religious - speaking globally, seeing as most brits are atheists )..but being homosexual usually lands you with a one way ticket to hell which ever religion you believe in ( if you're wanting to carry it out in a church because of your religious views ); whether it be christianity, islam or jewdism

It is probably not long coming before we have a gay couple suing a religious institution for discrimination for refusing to marry them. The obvious target would be a Catholic church. I can't imagine that many gays would have a sincere desire to be married in a Catholic church however. They will attempt to do so with an agenda and an expectation of being refused. They will then stir up attention and controversy while they use the courts as a tool to spite the institution they despise for rejecting them. People will argue that a church has no more right to refuse to marry a gay couple than they do to refuse to marry a mixed race couple. That argument might win. Churches that disagree with gay marriage will be faced with the option of violating their personal beliefs or ceasing to facilitate any marriages at all.

I am not religious and I support gay marriage. The gay community justly expects certain religious institutions to not interfere with their personal choices. Gays should also justly not attempt to interfere with the personal beliefs of those same religious institutions.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ckingalt
It is probably not long coming before we have a gay couple suing a religious institution for discrimination for refusing to marry them. The obvious target would be a Catholic church. I can't imagine that many gays would have a sincere desire to be married in a Catholic church however. They will attempt to do so with an agenda and an expectation of being refused. They will then stir up attention and controversy while they use the courts as a tool to spite the institution they despise for rejecting them. People will argue that a church has no more right to refuse to marry a gay couple than they do to refuse to marry a mixed race couple. That argument might win. Churches that disagree with gay marriage will be faced with the option of violating their personal beliefs or ceasing to facilitate any marriages at all.

I am not religious and I support gay marriage. The gay community justly expects certain religious institutions to not interfere with their personal choices. Gays should also justly not attempt to interfere with the personal beliefs of those same religious institutions.

There may well be couples that attempt to sue. Doesn't mean they'll win - if anything, they won't/shouldn't. As for whether couples have a sincere desire to marry in a Catholic Church, then yes, some do. Not everything has an agenda.

'The gay community' - it's not like all of us think the same on the subject :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by shadowdweller
There may well be couples that attempt to sue. Doesn't mean they'll win - if anything, they won't/shouldn't. As for whether couples have a sincere desire to marry in a Catholic Church, then yes, some do. Not everything has an agenda.

'The gay community' - it's not like all of us think the same on the subject :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's not what I meant. Perhaps "the gay rights movement" would have been a better choice of words.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending