The Student Room Group

Doing both Economics AND Business Studies for A Level?

Hello, Im concerned that if I take Business Studies and Economics for A Level, it would put me in a serious disadvantage when applying to Uni?

I am doing Physics, Maths, Economics and Geography at the moment, but I plan on swapping Geography for Business Studies as I dont enjoy Geography and find it so hard to learn the theory and case studies.I did Business Studies at GCSE and enjoyed it and got an A.

I plan to drop Business Studies at the end of AS anyway, but it's also a risk as if I mess up my other subjects, I will be left with Eco, Business and either Physics/Maths, and doing both for A2 will cause problems.

Do Uni's consider Business Studies soft? And if I was to drop it after AS, will it give me any disadvantage? Like I could've done an AS with a more facilitating subject with Geography?

So confused. Need help urgently.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Fade
Hello, Im concerned that if I take Business Studies and Economics for A Level, it would put me in a serious disadvantage when applying to Uni?

I am doing Physics, Maths, Economics and Geography at the moment, but I plan on swapping Geography for Business Studies as I dont enjoy Geography and find it so hard to learn the theory and case studies.I did Business Studies at GCSE and enjoyed it and got an A.

I plan to drop Business Studies at the end of AS anyway, but it's also a risk as if I mess up my other subjects, I will be left with Eco, Business and either Physics/Maths, and doing both for A2 will cause problems.

Do Uni's consider Business Studies soft? And if I was to drop it after AS, will it give me any disadvantage? Like I could've done an AS with a more facilitating subject.

So confused. Need help urgently.

Soft yes, but universities dont mind a soft option providing you drop it at AS.

What do you wish to do at uni? May be worth looking at universities entry requirements and seeing whether they will count business/economics as 1.
Long story short dont do it
I initially also wanted to do a combination of Economics and Business but thanks fully have been warned before doing so. If you proceed to do so it will complicate and confuse because some terms in business are the same in economics however they have different meanings. Additionally when answering a economic exam question you will unconsciously take a more business approach (due to the fact that is less complex) and that could potentially harm your chances of getting a good grade.
Reply 4
Original post by Dominic101
Long story short dont do it

Please can you elaborate further?

Also, I got an A in Geog at GCSE, but the course im learning at A Level is entirely new and boring, because I did a different exam board at GCSE ( Edexcel ) and for A Level im on AQA. Because of this, I have never learnt rivers at GCSE, and it is Core topic at A Level and im struggling to get to grips with it.

NEED URGENT ADVICE ASAP!!!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Fade
Please can you elaborate further?

Also, I got an A in Geog at GCSE, but the course im learning at A Level is entirely new and boring, because I did a different exam board at GCSE ( Edexcel ) and for A Level im on AQA. Because of this, I have never learnt rivers at GCSE, and it is Core topic at A Level and im struggling to get to grips with it.

NEED URGENT ADVICE ASAP!!!

Basically good unis dont like you to do economics and business and overall good unis dont like business studies at all
Reply 6
Bad idea, Economics and Business Studies have topics that overlap. Universities hate this, especially so if you are planning on
studying something like Economics at university. They would probably throw your application out of the window straight away.
It is a bit of a soft subject as well, and you would be better off with an essay subject e.g. History which is highly respected amongst
universities, or another science type subject (Chemistry or F.Maths)

If in doubt, ask your tutor/teacher. Do you have an idea what you would like to study?

I'm applying for Economics at university at the moment, so Business and Economics is definitely a no no for me.
Reply 7
Meh, I did it. Was fine, thought that Economics helped me in Business sometimes.
I remember when applying, York wouldn't accept anybody who did both. They're the only University I remember to not want that so I don't think it will be that bad.
Reply 8
Original post by ddaappoo
Meh, I did it. Was fine, thought that Economics helped me in Business sometimes.
I remember when applying, York wouldn't accept anybody who did both. They're the only University I remember to not want that so I don't think it will be that bad.

What course are you studying and what university are you at currently?

If I wanted to go to a RG uni, what would the case be?

I dont want to run the risk of being disadvantaged for a university course, so I may as well do Geography this year for AS ( which is gonna be long, hard and boring as hell, as in the field trip ) as the benefits do outweigh the costs. Tbh, Im just struggling with the physical geography, I have never done the core topic on Rivers at GCSE level, and it is so hard to learn all of it now. The other topics are fine but idk

I need to know the pro's/con's about this choice.
Reply 9
Original post by Fade
What course are you studying and what university are you at currently?

If I wanted to go to a RG uni, what would the case be?

I dont want to run the risk of being disadvantaged for a university course, so I may as well do Geography this year for AS ( which is gonna be long, hard and boring as hell, as in the field trip ) as the benefits do outweigh the costs. Tbh, Im just struggling with the physical geography, I have never done the core topic on Rivers at GCSE level, and it is so hard to learn all of it now. The other topics are fine but idk

I need to know the pro's/con's about this choice.

see how you do. that's the best thing. see how well you do, see which subjects you enjoy the most and decide in the summer.

I got an AAB and study Economics and Finance at Surrey :smile:
not a RG i know, but i got an offer from southampton so i could have
Reply 10
see how you do. that's the best thing. see how well you do, see which subjects you enjoy the most and decide in the summer.

Did you do Maths as well? What exam board were you on for Economics and Business?
Reply 11
Original post by Fade
Did you do Maths as well? What exam board were you on for Economics and Business?

AQA for econ and business. Edexcel for maths.
Got a B in maths, found it quite hard in places.
Reply 12
AQA for econ and business. Edexcel for maths.
Got a B in maths, found it quite hard in places.

I see, what did you do for the 4th AS?

I dont want to run the risk but idk, gonna decide within an hour .
Reply 13
Original post by Fade
I see, what did you do for the 4th AS?

I dont want to run the risk but idk, gonna decide within an hour .

World Development (was like Geography)
Reply 14
World Development (was like Geography)

Did you find Economics harder than Business?
Reply 15
Original post by Fade
Did you find Economics harder than Business?

in terms of the theory, yes. but it was more interesting so that was fine
in terms of writing essays? business. hated business because it was more of about 'how you write' instead of 'what you write'.
with economics, theory is just as important.
Reply 16

I think I'm going to apply to Surrey for Economics this year. How did you find your 1st year? I'm worries about the jump from A levels. Also, what's uni life like there?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Dont wanna run the risk, gonna stay put. Even if it means I got to drag Geog for a year :/
Reply 18
Original post by Fade
Dont wanna run the risk, gonna stay put. Even if it means I got to drag Geog for a year :/

If you really hate it you could always choose another subject. Is there anything else you're interested in?
Reply 19
Original post by cathrg26
If you really hate it you could always choose another subject. Is there anything else you're interested in?

Only option is Sociology. Heard and seen people saying it's easy, and they got A*/A grades at A2. I think it may be too late, will have to see tomorrow. If not, then Geog for the year :angry:

Quick Reply

Latest