The Student Room Group

Very weird degree combination

So I really want to study criminology as I want to work in this area and also have work experience In this field. I also want to carry on studying a sporting subject because I really enjoy it and need a 'back up plan'. I have found out that I can study criminology and sports development as a joint honours degree. I really want to apply for this course but everyone I've asked said its a really weird combination and won't be taken seriously by employers. Any thoughts?
Reply 1
Original post by alapa
So I really want to study criminology as I want to work in this area and also have work experience In this field. I also want to carry on studying a sporting subject because I really enjoy it and need a 'back up plan'. I have found out that I can study criminology and sports development as a joint honours degree. I really want to apply for this course but everyone I've asked said its a really weird combination and won't be taken seriously by employers. Any thoughts?

Go for it! Good luck actually getting onto the course, and good luck explaining it all to employers.

Joint honours is a good idea, and is is good to have a back up plan. Certainly it is also good to do something useful and something you enjoy. I would say go for it.
Reply 2
Original post by KH94
Go for it! Good luck actually getting onto the course, and good luck explaining it all to employers.

Joint honours is a good idea, and is is good to have a back up plan. Certainly it is also good to do something useful and something you enjoy. I would say go for it.

Cheers! If nothing else it will be an ice breaker at interviews!!! :colondollar:
Reply 3
Original post by alapa
Cheers! If nothing else it will be an ice breaker at interviews!!! :colondollar:

Yeah, it will! I'm not sure what to do for my joint honours, but in the past I had considered very contrasting subjects - you are not the only one. Go with what you are happy doing.

Good luck with your studies.
Reply 4
My choice isn't as dissociated as your degree title but with physics and philosophy I've turned some heads. A joint honours in seemingly distant subjects just shows you are academically flexible and have more than 1 interest. After the degree you also have more than one area of expertise and probably more skills gained from doing 2 different subjects that the next guy with stingless honours :smile:

Go for what you will enjoy!
Original post by alapa

Here's another hearty YAY for strange joint honours combos! :biggrin:

I think these kind of flexible degree combinations are getting more and more popular and I honestly don't see any reason why it would hurt you to graduate with one. If you love your courses, you are more likely to do impressively well in them, and as other posters have said, you'll have a great story for interviews.

As an employer myself, I'd be intrigued by a cv that included unusual combinations, and my initial view would be that this is an interesting and creative individual. Good luck!
Reply 6
The problem you are likely to encounter is that you won't have done either subject in that great a detail, so won't have the knowledge of someone who did either as a single honours degree. Plus I'm not sure if any joint honours degree can be accredited. Having a degree accredited by an external organisation can be important to employers as it shows your course has met certain industry standards. But when we had a talk from the royal society, they said something like the course has to be at least 70% chemistry before they would even consider accrediting it.
Reply 7
Original post by nic-nac
The problem you are likely to encounter is that you won't have done either subject in that great a detail, so won't have the knowledge of someone who did either as a single honours degree. Plus I'm not sure if any joint honours degree can be accredited. Having a degree accredited by an external organisation can be important to employers as it shows your course has met certain industry standards. But when we had a talk from the royal society, they said something like the course has to be at least 70% chemistry before they would even consider accrediting it.

I'm not looking for accreditation and as I'm hoping to apply to the police service it doesn't really matter what my degree subject will be in. I'm just going to study for enjoyment and to boost my career prospects. the sports side of things will keep my options open as I'm doing other sports an fitness related courses at the moment (fitness instructing, sports leadership) thanks for the great advice though!!!
plThank you all! I'm going to follow my gut instinct and go for my crazy joint honour!
This subject combo does actually have good applicability - think of the police service, probation & youth work, prison service or any other work area where sport has a 'therapeutic' or 'distraction from deviancy' role.
Reply 9
That is a pretty interesting combination :biggrin: I heard someone on here wanting to do Physics and Music which is pretty cool too; as long as you're interested in the course. Good Luck :smile:
Reply 10
I know a guy who did psychology and then started astronomy... I'd say weird combinations are cool! :P
I considered a degree in History and Biological Sciences, which is very weird :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
omg same! I'm finding it really hard to write a personal statement for it though :/ Are you still considering it or applying for something else?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending